Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
- Myanmar military accused of 'war crimes' in Rakhine Press TV 29 May 2019 -- Rights group Amnesty International has accused Myanmar's military of committing "war crimes" against an ethnic Buddhist group in Rakhine State, after worldwide condemnation of the army for committing horrific atrocities against local Muslims there.
- Amnesty Accuses Myanmar Military of New 'War Crimes' in Rakhine State VOA 29 May 2019 -- Amnesty International is accusing Myanmar's military of committing new atrocities in northwestern Rakhine state, where it conducted a brutal crackdown against Rohingya Muslims less than two years ago.
- Myanmar Grants Early Release to Soldiers Involved in Rohingya Massacre VOA 28 May 2019 -- Myanmar's early release of seven soldiers who were jailed for killing a group of Rohingya Muslims is drawing criticism from rights activists.
- UNHCR: Rohingya Refugees in Bangladesh Face Water Shortage VOA 24 May 2019 -- The U.N. refugee agency says water rations for tens of thousands of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh have been cut because of a serious shortage.
- Stateless Rohingya Refugees in Bangladesh Receive Identity Documents for First Time VOA 17 May 2019 -- Bangladeshi authorities and the U.N. refugee agency have registered more than a quarter million Rohingya refugees and presented them with identity documents that grant them a number of rights and safeguards.
- Foreign Firms Face Scrutiny as UN Looks to Isolate Myanmar Generals VOA 16 May 2019 -- Multinational companies doing business with Myanmar's military have so far shrugged off calls from activists to cut ties despite ongoing efforts to have the country's top generals prosecuted for genocide.
- UN calls for 'sustained' aid access to people in need in Rakhine Press TV 15 May 2019 -- "We need access, predictable, sustained access, to reach the people in need," a UN official has said regarding those displaced by conflict in Myanmar's western state of Rakhine.
- Relative Stability Brings Progress to Myanmar Region VOA 15 May 2019 -- Loud explosions and billowing smoke filled the air above the national stadium in the highly militarized capital of Panghsang in Myanmar's Shan state – but it wasn't what one might expect in a region known for its heavily armed troops.
- UN urges world to end support for Myanmar's military Press TV 14 May 2019 -- The United Nations (UN)'s fact-finding mission on Myanmar has called on all countries to cut financial and other ties with the country's military over genocide targeting minority Rohingya Muslims.
- Myanmar: Conflict resolution at 'total standstill', military commanders must answer for crimes against humanity UN News 14 May 2019 -- Myanmar's military commanders must answer charges of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide in a credible court, a United Nations Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar (FFM) said on Tuesday, urging the international community to cut off all financial and other support to them.
- Myanmar villagers in Rakhine risk running out food amid military siege Press TV 06 May 2019 -- Villagers in Myanmar's Rakhine state risk running out food after being under military restriction for nearly a week.
- Myanmar troops shoot dead six, detain scores over suspected rebel links in Rakhine Press TV 02 May 2019 -- Myanmar security forces have shot dead at least six people and detained nearly 300 others in the troubled western state of Rakhine amid the ongoing fighting between the army and ethnic rebels.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list