Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2018 - Myanmar News
- Bulldozing the past: Myanmar erasing evidence on Rohingya Press TV 30 Oct 2018 -- Myanmar's government has been destroying villages in Rakhine State and the physical evidence of state-sponsored violence committed against the Rohingya Muslims there, a report says.
- Bangladesh, Myanmar Agree to Repatriate Rohingya VOA 30 Oct 2018 -- Myanmar and Bangladesh have agreed to repatriate Rohingya refugees back to the country they fled, in the midst of a U.N warning that genocide was still being committed against them.
- Fear of Deportation Drives Some Rohingya Refugees from India VOA 29 Oct 2018 -- India's recent deportation of seven Rohingya men to Myanmar has triggered a panic among the country's Rohingya Muslim refugee community.
- UN Official Urges Justice for Myanmar's Rohingya VOA 24 Oct 2018 -- The head of a U.N. fact-finding mission in Myanmar warned Wednesday that if atrocities committed against minority Muslim Rohingya in that country went unpunished, such crimes would be repeated in other countries on new victims.
- Myanmar army still committing genocide against Rohingya Muslims, UN says Press TV 24 Oct 2018 -- The head of the UN fact-finding mission on Myanmar says the country's army is still committing war crimes against Rohingya Muslims.
- Accountability for atrocities in Myanmar 'cannot be expected' within its borders - UN investigator UN News 24 Oct 2018 -- Continued denial of the facts and evidence of gross human rights violations by Myanmar is a clear indication of the country's "lack of interest" in establishing a fully functioning democracy based on individual rights and freedoms, two United Nations independent experts have underscored.
- Australia slaps sanctions on Myanmar officers over Rohingya Press TV 23 Oct 2018 -- The Australian government has announced sanctions against five military officers in Myanmar who are accused of leading brutal atrocities against minority Rohingya Muslims in the Southeast Asian country.
- Accountability a key pillar for reconciliation in Myanmar: UN Envoy UN News 20 Oct 2018 -- Accountability and inclusive dialogue are two important pillars for national reconciliation in Myanmar, said the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General (SESG), Christine Schraner Burgener in a statement released on Saturday, adding that "credible fact-finding is the first step towards accountability."
- UN migration agency: young Rohingya girls, largest group of trafficking victims in camps UN News 16 Oct 2018 -- More than a year into the crisis in Cox's Bazar, the number of Rohingya refugees has reached nearly one million, with young girls in Bangladesh refugee camps sold into forced labour accounting for the largest group of trafficking victims, reported the UN Migration Agency (IOM) on Tuesday.
- Rohingya Refugees in India Rattled After First-Ever Deportations VOA 14 Oct 2018 -- The Rohingya camps in India's Haryana state, adjoining the capital, New Delhi, lie far from the country's northeast from where Indian authorities deported seven Rohingya men to Myanmar earlier this month. But the first-ever deportations have caused deep worries here of more repatriations of the Muslim minority that fled persecution and violence in Myanmar.
- Myanmar 'unwilling' to probe Rohingya genocide: UN Press TV 09 Oct 2018 -- The United Nations (UN)'s special envoy to Myanmar says the Myanmarese government is "unwilling" to investigate state-sponsored violence against the Rohingya Muslim community in the country, calling on the international community to take action before it is too late.
- Concern rising over fate of Rohingya refugees sent home by India: UNHCR UN News 05 Oct 2018 -- The United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) has voiced 'great concern' for the safety and security of seven Rohingya men who have been sent home by Indian authorities, after reportedly being denied access to lawyers, or full consideration of their asylum applications.
- ASEAN urges accountability for Myanmar atrocities Press TV 02 Oct 2018 -- The foreign ministers of Southeast Asian nations have called on Myanmar to probe state-sponsored atrocities against Rohingya Muslims.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list