Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
- UN chief heads to Bangladesh to spotlight continuing perils facing Rohingya refugees UN News 29 Jun 2018 -- The continuing plight of nearly one million Rohingya refugees driven from their homes in Myanmar will be the focus of the United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres when he travels to Bangladesh this weekend – the country where they have found safe-haven.
- UN rights expert 'strongly recommends' probe by International Criminal Court into 'decades of crimes' in Myanmar UN News 27 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations rights expert on Myanmar is "strongly" recommending that the International Criminal Court (ICC) investigate and prosecute those allegedly responsible for "decades of crimes" in the form a grave violations of international human rights and humanitarian law inside the country.
- UN Investigator Calls for Concrete Action to Stop Myanmar Rights Abuses VOA 27 Jun 2018 -- A U.N. investigator warns Myanmar's unprecedented level of human rights violations and abuses against its people will not end without concrete action by the international community against the government and military authorities. The special rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar submitted her report to the U.N. Human Rights Council.
- 13 Myanmar Officials Implicated in Atrocities Against Rohingya VOA 26 Jun 2018 -- Amnesty International says it has credible evidence implicating 13 Myanmar officials, including a top military commander, in crimes against humanity for their roles in the campaign against Rohingya Muslims that began in August.
- EU Sanctions 7 Myanmar Generals over Rohingya Crackdown VOA 26 Jun 2018 -- A top Myanmar general sanctioned by the European Union for his role in the brutal crackdown on ethnic Rohingya Muslims has been fired.
- EU to penalize Myanmar officials over crimes against Rohingya Muslims: Report Press TV 25 Jun 2018 -- The European Union is reportedly set to slap sanctions on military officials in Myanmar over their role in the systematic human rights violations against the country's minority Rohingya Muslims.
- Misery Among Rohingya Grows During Bangladesh Monsoons VOA 25 Jun 2018 -- U.N. and international aid agencies are working around the clock to lessen the risks of flooding and landslides caused by monsoon rains in Rohingya refugee camps in Cox's Bazaar, Bangladesh.
- Myanmar: New UN envoy offers to serve 'as a bridge', recognizes 'positive steps' over Rakhine state UN News 21 Jun 2018 -- Focussing on "listening to all sides" the new United Nations Special Envoy on Myanmar praised "recent positive steps" taken by the government and United Nations to try and ensure the eventual voluntary, safe and dignified return of Rohingya refugees, to their homes in Rakhine state.
- UN mobilizes in Rohingya camps to support babies born of rape; young mothers face stigma UN News 19 Jun 2018 -- Despite challenges brought on by the arrival of the monsoon season this month, United Nations agencies in Bangladesh continue to support nearly one million Rohingya refugees, including thousands of victims of sexual violence.
- UN mobilizes in Rohingya camps to support babies born of rape, as young mothers face stigma UN News 18 Jun 2018 -- Members of the mainly-Muslim minority community began fleeing Myanmar's Rakhine state last August following a military crackdown targeting extremists, during which homes were destroyed, men and boys killed, and countless women and girls raped.
- Rohingya refugee shelters 'washed away' in Bangladesh monsoon rains: UN agency UN News 11 Jun 2018 -- Two days of heavy monsoon rains have caused severe structural damage to camps in Bangladesh hosting one million Rohingya refugees from Myanmar, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) reported on Monday
- 'UN deal with Myanmar could return Rohingya Muslims to killing fields' Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh and experts say a recent deal between Myanmar and the United Nations (UN) falls short of guaranteeing the Muslims' safe return to Myanmar, where thousands of them have already been killed in state-sponsored violence.
- UN inks deal with Myanmar on access to Rohingya crisis epicenter Press TV 06 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations has signed an agreement with Myanmar that would give the UN access to the epicenter of the Rohingya crisis as members of the persecuted minority fear returning to their home country.
- UN agencies and Myanmar ink agreement, setting stage for Rohingya return UN News 06 Jun 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has welcomed the understanding reached between UN agencies and Myanmar on creating conditions that would allow hundreds of thousands of Rohingya refugees to voluntarily and safely return to their homes in the country's Rakhine province.
- Myanmar targeted the educated in genocide, Rohingya refugees say Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- Members of Myanmar's persecuted Rohingya community say government forces have specifically targeted the minority group's religious figures and teachers in their crackdown in Rakhine state.
- UN agencies and Myanmar lay groundwork for possible Rohingya return UN News 01 Jun 2018 -- United Nations agencies and Myanmar have agreed a framework which it is hoped will lead to the repatriation of Rohingya refugees, but only if their "voluntary, safe, dignified and sustainable" return from camps in Bangladesh can be guaranteed.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list