Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
- Rohingya victims seek ICC probe into Myanmar atrocities Press TV 31 May 2018 -- Hundreds of Rohingya victims have appealed to the International Criminal Court (ICC) to grant prosecutors jurisdiction to probe deportation of Muslims from Myanmar's Rakhine state to neighboring Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh lawyers working to refer Myanmar to ICC on behalf of Rohingya Press TV 30 May 2018 -- A group of lawyers working on behalf of hundreds of Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh is pushing for Myanmar's military to be referred to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for widespread violence against the Muslims.
- Rohingyas in Bangladesh face death in upcoming monsoons Press TV 27 May 2018 -- With the monsoon season approaching in Bangladesh, the lives of close to one million Rohingya Muslim refugees there are at stake as they are living in ill-equipped camps and dire humanitarian conditions.
- British MPs want Myanmar govt. referred to ICC Press TV 22 May 2018 -- A British parliamentary committee says the government must support efforts to refer Myanmar's government to the international criminal court over evidence of state-sanctioned "ethnic cleansing" of Rohingya Muslims in Rakhine state.
- New project safeguards Rohingya refugees; boosts local farming – UN migration agency UN News 22 May 2018 -- A major canal dredging project underway in Southern Bangladesh to protect Rohingya refugees from monsoon floods, will have the added benefit of boosting local agriculture, the United Nations migration agency said Tuesday.
- 'Myanmar forcing Rohingyas to leave no man's land' Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Myanmar border guards have started ordering the 45,000 displaced Rohingya Muslims stranded in a no man's land along the border with Bangladesh to leave.
- US aid chief calls on Myanmar to end violence against Rohingya Muslims Press TV 17 May 2018 -- The US government's aid chief has called on Myanmar to end violence against members of the persecuted Rohingya Muslim community in the northwestern state of Rakhine.
- UN rights office urges restraint over intensifying violence in northern Myanmar UN News 15 May 2018 -- The United Nations human rights arm has voiced deep concern over escalating conflict between the military and armed groups in Myanmar's Kachin and Shan provinces that has displaced over 100,000 civilians and trapped many in the midst of active fighting.
- Myanmar's military clashes with ethnic militants, 19 killed Press TV 12 May 2018 -- At least 19 people, most of them civilians, have been killed in a fresh round of fighting between the military and ethnic militants in Myanmar's troubled northern regions.
- 19 Killed in Myanmar Fighting VOA 12 May 2018 -- An ethnic rebel group in northern Myanmar has attacked security forces at a casino in an area near China's border, killing 19 people, including 15 civilians and four security forces. Twenty people were wounded.
- For Rohingya refugees, imminent surge in births is traumatic legacy of sexual violence - special report UN News 11 May 2018 -- Late last year, as violent repression in Myanmar sent Rohingyas fleeing to safety in Bangladesh, women from the mainly Muslim minority were subjected to what a United Nations official called "a frenzy of sexual violence".
- UNSC urges Myanmar to punish abusers of Muslim minority Press TV 10 May 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has called on Myanmar's government to hold accountable the perpetrators of widespread violence against the Rohingya Muslim minority in the Buddhist-majority country's northwest over the past year and a half.
- Dangers persist for nearly a million Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh: WHO UN News 08 May 2018 -- Renewed efforts are underway in Bangladesh to protect nearly one million Myanmar refugees from cholera, amid a warning from the UN health agency on Tuesday that "we're not out of the woods yet".
- Muslim states seek global pressure on Myanmar over Rohingya crisis Press TV 06 May 2018 -- Foreign ministers from Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) have launched a campaign to mobilize international support for action against Myanmar over the Rohingya refugee crisis.
- Rohingya to be safe in areas 'designated' for them: Myanmar army chief Press TV 05 May 2018 -- Myanmar's military chief claims that Rohingya Muslim refugees who return to the country will be safe as long as they stay in camp areas and model villages "designated" for them.
- Myanmar forces to screen refugees before delivering aid to Kachin State Press TV 03 May 2018 -- Myanmar government says it will "scrutinize" the identity of refugees in northern Kachin State to ensure insurgents do not receive humanitarian aid after weeks of fighting between the army and an ethnic armed group in the war-torn region.
- UN urges Myanmar to 'properly' probe atrocities against Rohingya Press TV 01 May 2018 -- A UN Security Council envoy says Myanmar must conduct a "proper investigation" into alleged atrocities against the persecuted Rohingya Muslims in northwestern state of Rakhine.
- Security Council urges conditions that allow safe return of Rohingya refugees UN News 01 May 2018 -- After seeing for themselves the conditions facing Rohingya refugees in the camps of southern Bangladesh as well as homes they fled in Myanmar, Security Council members called on Tuesday for them to be allowed a safe return.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list