Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2018 - Myanmar News
- Win Myint sworn in as Myanmar's new president, vows to prioritize rule of law, peace Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- Win Myint was sworn in as Myanmar's new President, pledging to give priority to the rule of law, peace and reconciliation.
- UN appeals for support to tackle 'massive' health needs of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh UN News 29 Mar 2018 -- With relief agencies in Bangladesh struggling to assist more than a million vulnerable Rohingya refugees crowded into makeshift camps along the country's south-east coast, the World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday appealed for international support to help the cash strapped health sector scale up its response.
- UN chief urges Myanmar's leaders to take 'unified stance' against hatred in the country UN News 26 Mar 2018 -- A united Nations spokesman said Monday that Secretary-General António Guterres is shocked at reports of remarks attributed to Myanmar Senior General U Min Aung Hlaing.
- Myanmar's president resigns 'to take rest from duties' Press TV 21 Mar 2018 -- Myanmar's President Htin Kyaw, a close ally of the country's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi, has announced his resignation, citing ill health.
- Rohingya Muslims reject Myanmar terms of repatriation Press TV 18 Mar 2018 -- A local Rohingya leader says members of persecuted Rohingya Muslims holed up in a border "no-man's-land" after fleeing Myanmar's Rakhine state will only accept repatriation to their home villages.
- ASEAN, Australia leaders press Myanmar over Rohingya crisis Press TV 18 Mar 2018 -- Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been grilled by world leaders over her inaction regarding the persecution of the minority Rohingya Muslims in her country.
- UN launches $1 billion appeal for Rohingya refugees in 2018 Press TV 16 Mar 2018 -- The United Nations has launched an appeal for nearly one billion dollar to meet the urgent needs of Rohingya Muslims in Bangladesh, stressing the importance of establishing conditions for securing the safe return of those displaced.
- UN appeals for nearly $1 billion to address 'critical needs' of Rohingya refugees, Bangladesh host communities UN News 16 Mar 2018 -- To meet the urgent needs of nearly 900,000 Rohingya refugees and more than 330,000 vulnerable Bangladeshis in the communities hosting them, United Nations agencies and their humanitarian partners appealed jointly on Friday for $951 million.
- UN: Myanmar government destroying Rakhine's Rohingya Muslims Press TV 13 Mar 2018 -- The UN Secretary General's Special Adviser for the Prevention of Genocide says all the evidence he has received shows that the Myanmar government tried to utterly destroy Rohingya Muslims in Rakhine state.
- Myanmar says UN reports on rights violations lack credibility Press TV 13 Mar 2018 -- Myanmar's government has once again rejected allegations of abusing the rights of minorities in the country, saying the United Nations' new findings on the issue are unreliable.
- Rohingyas could face further violence if they return to Myanmar, UN adviser warns UN News 13 Mar 2018 -- International crimes were committed against the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar and those who fled the country could face further persecution if they return now, a senior United Nations official said Tuesday.
- UN expert says Myanmar's crackdown on Rohingya bears 'hallmarks of genocide' Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- A top UN rights expert has warned that Myanmar's crackdown on the persecuted Rohingya bears "the hallmarks of genocide," insisting that the government should be held accountable for the ongoing crimes against the Muslim community.
- Myanmar builds military bases on Rohingya land: Amnesty Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- An international rights organization has revealed that Myanmar's military forces are building army bases in locations where Rohingya Muslims used to live before a campaign of state-sponsored violence drove them out.
- Monsoon floods threaten 100,000 Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh Press TV 11 Mar 2018 -- The persecuted Rohingya refugees from Myanmar's Rakhine state who live in denuded hills in southern Bangladesh hope that the sandbags fortifying the slopes will survive the upcoming monsoon.
- Rohingya Muslims stranded in borderland not willing to return Press TV 10 Mar 2018 -- Some 6,000 Rohingya Muslim refugees who have been displaced from their homes in Myanmar and are locked outside the border with Bangladesh are not willing to return home, a new report says.
- UN has strong suspicion genocide has happened in Myanmar Press TV 07 Mar 2018 -- The United Nations (UN)'s human rights chief has expressed strong suspicion that "acts of genocide" may have been carried out against Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar since August 2017.
- UN: Myanmar continuing 'ethnic cleansing' of Rohingya Press TV 06 Mar 2018 -- A United Nations (UN) official says the "ethnic cleansing" of the Rohingya Muslim community is continuing in Myanmar, despite denials by the government in Naypyidaw of any violence against the minority Muslims.
- 'No other conclusion,' ethnic cleansing of Rohingyas in Myanmar continues – senior UN rights official UN News 06 Mar 2018 -- The "frenzied" scale of unspeakable violence against the minority Muslim Rohingya community in Myanmar has shifted to a "lower intensity campaign of terror and forced starvation," seemingly intended to drive the remaining Rohingyas from their homeland, a senior United Nations human rights official has warned.
- UN: Myanmar's Ethnic Cleansing of Rohingyas Continues VOA 06 Mar 2018 -- A United Nations official says Myanmar security forces continue to subject the remaining Rohingya Muslims in northwest Rakhine state to human rights abuses.
- Myanmar defends military build-up at Bangladesh border Press TV 02 Mar 2018 -- Myanmar has defended its military build-up near the border with Bangladesh, where thousands of Rohingya Muslim refugees have sheltered after fleeing a brutal military crackdown on their community.
- Bangladesh Requests Myanmar Troop Withdrawal from Common Border VOA 01 Mar 2018 -- Bangladesh has requested that neighboring Myanmar withdraw its security forces from their common border after a Myanmar troop build-up near a camp where thousands of Rohingya Muslim refugees have been living since fleeing Myanmar in August.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list