Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2018 - Myanmar News
- 100,00 Rohingya refugees in grave danger from monsoon rains, UN warns Press TV 29 Jan 2018 -- The United Nations has warned that more than 100,000 Rohingya Muslims in Bangladeshi refugee camps will be in grave danger with the mid-year monsoon season on its way.
- U.S. Urges Russia To Reconsider Reported Jet Sale To Burma RFE/RL 26 Jan 2018 -- The United States on January 25 urged Moscow to reconsider an agreement to supply Russian fighter planes to Burma, the Southeast Asian country hit by instability caused by ethnic conflict.
- UN says not safe yet for Rohingya refugees to return to Myanmar Press TV 25 Jan 2018 -- A senior United Nations official says it is not yet safe for thousands of Rohingya Muslims living in refugee camps in Bangladesh to begin returning to Myanmar's Rakhine state.
- UN demands unhindered access to Rohingya camps newly built in Myanmar Press TV 24 Jan 2018 -- The United Nations (UN) has called on Myanmar to grant aid agencies unhindered access to camps that have been built near the border with Bangladesh to house the tens of thousands of Rohingya Muslim refugees who face repatriation from Bangladesh.
- Conditions in Myanmar not yet suitable for Rohingya refugees to return safely - UN agency UN News 23 Jan 2018 -- The necessary safeguards for Rohingyas to return to Myanmar are absent, and there are ongoing restrictions on access for aid agencies, the media and other independent observers, the United Nations warned on Tuesday, two months after Myanmar and Bangladesh agreed on a plan for the refugees' voluntary return to their homes.
- Rohingya citizenship, safety need addressing before repatriation: UN Press TV 22 Jan 2018 -- The UN refugee chief says more time is needed to prepare the return of Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh to western Rakhine state in Myanmar.
- Rohingya repatriations won't begin Tuesday as planned: Bangladesh Press TV 22 Jan 2018 -- Bangladesh has postponed the gradual repatriation of hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims to Myanmar, which was slated to being Tuesday, amid concerns that the refugees could be coerced into leaving.
- Start of Rohingya Repatriation to Myanmar Delayed VOA 22 Jan 2018 -- The gradual repatriation of Rohingya Muslim refugees to Myanmar from Bangladesh, previously set to begin Tuesday, has been delayed.
- Bangladesh tells Rohingya refugees they may lose food ration if stay Press TV 21 Jan 2018 -- Tension mounts at refugee camps in southeastern Bangladesh, where thousands of persecuted Rohingya Muslims are expected to be repatriated to Myanmar, after Bangladesh threatened to cut their food ration if they do not leave the country.
- WFP Warns Food Shortages in Myanmar's Rakhine State VOA 21 Jan 2018 -- The World Food Program warns food shortages and undernutrition in Myanmar's Rakhine State are seriously affecting the health of women and children.
- Focus in Myanmar Turns to 2020 Election VOA 19 Jan 2018 -- As the second anniversary of the National League for Democracy's time in power approaches in late March, thoughts are starting to turn toward a general election expected to take place in 2020.
- More Rohingya Muslims flee Myanmar as Bangladesh prepares to start repatriation Press TV 18 Jan 2018 -- More than 100 persecuted Rohingya Muslims have crossed into Bangladesh from Myanmar over the past 24 hours, raising doubts about plans to send back thousands of refugees who have already fled a brutal crackdown.
- Bangladesh hosting more than a million Rohingya refugees: Official Press TV 17 Jan 2018 -- Bangladesh says it has counted over a million Rohingya Muslim refugees living in camps near its border with Myanmar, higher than previous estimates.
- Myanmar police kill 7 Buddhist rioters in Rakhine Press TV 17 Jan 2018 -- Police in Myanmar have opened fire on a group of Buddhists who were trying to seize a government office in the troubled Rakhine State, killing seven people.
- Rohingya refugees safety must be ensured upon return: UN Press TV 16 Jan 2018 -- The United Nations refugee agency says Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh should be consulted and ensured of their safety before they are repatriated to Myanmar's Rakhine state.
- Bangladesh, Myanmar agree on Rohingya return in 2 years Press TV 16 Jan 2018 -- Bangladesh and Myanmar have agreed to repatriate the hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims who have fled a recent army crackdown in Myanmar within a period of two years.
- Bangladesh, Myanmar to Reach Deal on Rohingya Repatriation in 2 Years - Reports Sputnik 16 Jan 2018 -- Bangladesh and Myanmar finalized on Tuesday an agreement on repatriation of Rohingya refugees within the next two years, local media reported.
- Myanmar, Bangladesh to Begin Return of Rohingya Refugees VOA 16 Jan 2018 -- Myanmar and neighboring Bangladesh have completed an agreement to repatriate scores of Rohingya Muslims who fled Myanmar to escape a brutal military crackdown.
- Myanmar, Bangladesh hold talks on Rohingya repatriation Press TV 15 Jan 2018 -- Officials from Myanmar and Bangladesh have met to “settle issues” over the repatriation of Rohingya Muslim refugees, who have fled a state-sponsored crackdown campaign in Rakhine State.
- Myanmar's admission to Rohingya massacre for first time 'tip of the iceberg': Amnesty Press TV 11 Jan 2018 -- Amnesty International has strongly denounced the first admission by Myanmar's military that its soldiers executed Rohingya Muslims in Rakhine state, saying it is just the "tip of the iceberg".
- Myanmar troops involved in killing Rohingya Muslims, army admits Press TV 10 Jan 2018 -- Myanmar's army chief has posted an announcement admitting that security forces had a hand in killing members of the Rohingya minority group and dumping their bodies in a mass grave.
- Myanmar Military Admits to Killing 10 Rohingya Found in Mass Grave VOA 10 Jan 2018 -- In a rare admission of guilt, Myanmar's military says its security forces were responsible for the deaths of 10 Rohingya found in a mass grave.
- Rohingya children trapped in 'appalling' conditions in Myanmar's Rakhine state - UNICEF UN News 09 Jan 2018 -- While the eyes of the world are on Myanmar's northern Rakhine and Cox's Bazaar, Bangladesh, more than 60,000 Rohingya children remain nearly forgotten, trapped in appalling camps in central Rakhine where the shelters teeter on stilts above garbage and excrement, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) reported Tuesday.
- Disease Outbreaks Plague Rohingya Refugees in Bangladesh VOA 03 Jan 2018 -- At Balukhali refugee camp in Bangladesh, unclean water, cramped living quarters and squalid conditions create a prime environment for outbreaks of preventable diseases among the estimated 650,000 Rohingya Muslims who have fled strife in neighboring Myanmar.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list