2009 Libya Special Weapons News
- Russia has 5 arms deals with Libya - Rosoboronexport RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2009 -- Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport: Russia has 5 ongoing contracts with Libya in the sphere of military cooperation.
- Two killed as MiG-23 fighter crashes at Tripoli air show RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2009 -- Two pilots killed when a Libyan Air Force MiG-23 Flogger fighter crashed in Tripoli during a demonstration flight.
- Libya's Gaddafi proposes Eastern HQ for UN RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2009 -- Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi suggested moving the United Nations Headquarters from New York to Beijing or New Delhi.
- Libya's Gadhafi Delivers Rambling Speech in First UN Address VOA 23 Sep 2009 -- Libyan leader Gadhafi critiqued decades of historic events during his first appearance before the UN General Assembly.
- Ukrainian PM, Libyan leader agree to sign military deals RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2009 -- Ukraine and Libya have agreed to draft and sign contracts on military-industrial cooperation.
- British PM denies 'double-dealing' in bomber release RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2009 -- British PM Brown: Country did not sign any secret deals with Libya for release of man convicted of Lockerbie bombing.
- Lockerbie bomber hospitalized in Tripoli - local media RIA Novosti 01 Sep 2009 -- Man convicted of organizing the 1988 Lockerbie plane bombing has been hospitalized in the Libyan capital.
- Libyans Defend Megrahi Welcome VOA 01 Sep 2009 -- Years of careful negotiation to repair relations between Libya and its former adversaries, Britain and the United States, have threatened to unravel.
- Libya Celebrates 40 Years of Gaddafi Rule VOA 01 Sep 2009 -- Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi celebrating forty years of his ascension to power.
- Libya's Gadhafi Marks 40 Years in Power VOA 01 Sep 2009 -- Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi is marking the 40th anniversary of his revolutionary rule.
- Italian PM Visits Libya to Mark Friendship Treaty VOA 30 Aug 2009 -- Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi will visit Libya for a few hours on Sunday to celebrate the anniversary of a friendship pact signed last year. He is not planning to stay to attend the events marking the 40th anniversary of the military coup that brought Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to power in 1969.
- Report Cites Libyan Oil Deal in Lockerbie Bomber Release VOA 30 Aug 2009 -- A published report says Britain decided in 2007 to make the Lockerbie bomber eligible for a return to Libya, after talks stalled between Libya and British petroleum giant BP over a huge oil exploration deal.
- Libya's Gadhafi Marks 40 Years In Power VOA 29 Aug 2009 -- Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi is marking the 40th anniversary of his revolutionary rule (September 1) with lavish celebrations, a special African Union meeting and visits from other heads of state. The event caps years of effort to bring his once-isolated nation back into the international fold.
- US Criticizes Gadhafi Plan to Pitch Tent Near New York for UN Meeting VOA 24 Aug 2009 -- A senior State Department official on Monday criticized, as "awful," a reported plan by Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi to pitch a tent in a New York City suburb next month when he is due to attend the opening of the U.N. General Assembly.
- Scottish Justice Minister Defends Bomber's Release VOA 24 Aug 2009 -- Scotland's Justice Secretary defended his decision to release the convicted Lockerbie bomber before the Scottish parliament Monday. Parliament was recalled early to address the issue, which has strained relations between Scotland and the United States.
- Libya's Gadhafi Welcomes Lockerbie Bomber VOA 22 Aug 2009 -- Libyan Leader Moammar Gadhafi embraced convicted Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, as he arrived in Libya after being released from his life sentence.
- Russia, Libya sign warship contract worth up to $200 mln RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2009 -- Libya has signed with Russia a contract worth up to an estimated $200 million to buy three missile boats.
- AU Leaders Agree to Disagree on Gaddafi's Union Government Proposal VOA 04 Feb 2009 -- AU summit ended in confusion over the future of Libyan leader Gaddafi's dream of a continental government.
- Qaddafi elected African Union chairman, wants U.S. of Africa RIA Novosti 02 Feb 2009 -- Muammar Qaddafi, the new head of the AU, said he would continue to press for the creation of a pan-African state.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|