2008 Libya Special Weapons News
- Arab World Reacts Cautiously to US New Ambassador to Libya VOA 22 Nov 2008 -- The U.S. Senate approved the nomination of a new U.S. ambassador to Libya late Thursday, making it the first time in 36 years that the United States will have an ambassador in the Libyan capital, Tripoli.
- EU Launches Closer Ties with Libya VOA 12 Nov 2008 -- The European Union is launching its first agreement with Libya to establish closer political, social and economic ties.
- Libya seeking arms deals with Ukraine - Qaddafi RIA Novosti 06 Nov 2008 -- Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi said on Thursday his country was considering buying Ukrainian-made weaponry for defense purposes.
- Ukrainian, Libyan leaders discuss oil, military cooperation RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2008 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko and visiting Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi discussed bilateral cooperation on Tuesday, particularly in the oil and military-technical spheres.
- Belarus Hosts Libya's Qaddafi On Historic Regional Visit RFE/RL 03 Nov 2008 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has received his Libyan counterpart, Muammar Qaddafi, for talks in Minsk.
- Qaddafi holds talks with Medvedev, Putin in Moscow RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2008 -- Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi held separate talks in Moscow on Saturday with Russia's president and prime minister.
- Libyan Leader Visits Russia To Talk Arms, Energy RFE/RL 31 Oct 2008 -- Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi is in Moscow at the start of a three-day visit to Russia, his first in more than two decades
- Libya 'ready to host Russian naval base' RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2008 -- Libya is willing to host a Russian naval base as a means of security against any possible US attack.
- Libyan leader to discuss arms deals during visit to Russia RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2008 -- Deliveries of air defense systems, combat aircraft and warships key issues to be discussed during visit of Libya's president.
- Russia, Venezuela to hold joint air force drills in 2009 RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2008 -- Venezuela and Russia are planning to conduct joint air force exercises in 2009.
- GOV/2008/39: of the NPT Safeguards Agreement in the Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya International Atomic Energy Agency 12 Sep 2008
- US's Rice Meets Libyan Leader Gadhafi in Tripoli VOA 05 Sep 2008 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says U.S.-Libyan relations are "off to a good start" after she met with Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi during a landmark visit to Libya's capital, Tripoli.
- Rice Schedules First Libya Visit by US Secretary of State in 55 Years VOA 02 Sep 2008 -- The U.S. State Department says Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will visit Libya later this week, the first visit of its kind since 1953
- Rice Welcomes Congressional Approval of Libya Compensation Measure VOA 01 Aug 2008 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Friday hailed Congressional approval of legislation aimed at settling remaining compensation claims from Libyan-backed acts of terrorism in the 1980s
- Russia cancels Libya's $4.5 bln debt in exchange for contractsRIA Novosti 17 Apr 2008 -- Moscow wrote off on Thursday Libya's $4.5 billion debt in exchange for contracts for Russian companies worth several billions of dollars.
- Russia: Putin Visits Libya For Talks On Energy, Arms RFE/RL 16 Apr 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin is traveling to Tripoli to hold talks with Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, a visit in which he hopes to secure key energy and arms deals.
- Russia could sign $2-4 bln arms contracts with Libya RIA Novosti 16 Apr 2008 -- Russia's potential arms contracts with Libya could be worth between $2 bln and $4 bln, a Russian defense analyst said on Wednesday.
- Putin to bring arms contracts worth $3 bln to Libya - paper RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2008 -- Russia has prepared arms contracts worth $3 billion for outgoing president Vladimir Putin's visit to Libya this week, a business daily said on Tuesday citing defense and aircraft industry officials.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|