Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2021 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libya Records 665 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 29 Dec 2021 -- Libya recorded, in the past 24 hours, 665 new infections of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 9 deaths.
- Libya Reports 685 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 24 Dec 2021 -- The Libyan National Center for Disease Control announced the registration of 658 new infections with the novel Coronavirus COVID-19) and six deaths, in the past 24 hours.
- Libya's parliament under pressure over delayed presidential vote Press TV 24 Dec 2021 -- Libya's parliament has come under growing pressure to finish planning a long-awaited presidential election, after the vote was postponed earlier this week.
- Joint Statement on Libyan Election Process US Dept. of State 24 Dec 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America, France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom:
- Libyan elections postponed, new date expected within 30 days UN News 23 Dec 2021 -- During a visit to help implement intra-Libyan political, security and economic dialogues and support recently postponed presidential and parliamentary elections, the UN envoy to the country issued a statement on Thursday, detailing her work over the last 10 days.
- Rival militias mobilize in Libya's capital amid tensions over delayed election Press TV 22 Dec 2021 -- The postponement of Libya's presidential election has created a new power vacuum, triggering security concerns across the country.
- Libya calls off long-awaited presidential election Press TV 22 Dec 2021 -- Libya has called off a presidential election after the parliament's election committee ruled out the possibility of holding the vote on Friday.
- Libya's election committee dissolved ahead of polls Press TV 21 Dec 2021 -- Days before Libya's presidential and parliamentary elections, authorities have ordered the dissolution of the electoral committee, a move that is expected to postpone the vote.
- Libya: Tensions as armed groups mobilize in Tripoli UN News 21 Dec 2021 -- The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Tuesday expressed concern over the unfolding security situation in the capital, Tripoli, where forces affiliated with different armed groups have been deploying.
- Libyan Joint Military Committee Meets With UN Envoy Amid Tensions VOA 16 Dec 2021 -- A militia blockade of the interim government's headquarters in Tripoli appears to have ended Thursday, amid strong tensions in the Libyan capital just over a week before scheduled presidential elections. U.N. envoy Stephanie Williams met with key military leaders to try to prevent any violence which might jeopardize the elections.
- Libya's interim govt. declares readiness for elections despite uncertainties Press TV 13 Dec 2021 -- The Libyan government has declared its readiness to hold the country's presidential election as scheduled on December 24 despite uncertainty that the vote will go ahead on time.
- UN Condemns Forced Expulsions of Asylum Seekers from Libya VOA 12 Dec 2021 -- The United Nations' Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights is condemning the forced expulsion of asylum seekers and migrants by Libyan authorities, warning of the risks many face when returned to the homes they fled to escape persecution.
- Warring Libyan Armed Forces Agree to Unite Army, Acting Commander of LNA Says Sputnik 11 Dec 2021 -- Commanders of confronting armed forces in Libya held a meeting on Saturday in the city of Sirte and agreed on uniting militaries, acting Commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Abdulrazzak al-Nazuri said.
- UN raises alarm over 'continuing' expulsions of asylum seekers from Libya UN News 10 Dec 2021 -- Asylum-seekers and other migrants continue to be forcefully expelled from Libya, raising concerns at the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list