Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2021 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Authorities in western Libya free 120 captured fighters loyal to Haftar Press TV 031 Mar 2021 -- Several years into a battle for power in Libya, authorities in the western part have now moved toward reconciliation by realeasing 120 captured fighters loyal to the eastern-based renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya wants all foreign mercenaries out 'immediately' Press TV 26 Mar 2021 -- Libya's new interim government has demanded the "immediate" withdrawal of all foreign mercenaries amid efforts to end a decade of violence in the North African country.
- Libyan commander wanted for war crimes by ICC shot dead Press TV 25 Mar 2021 -- Unidentified armed men have shot dead a Libyan commander, loyal to renegade General Khalifa Haftar, who was wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for war crimes in the country's eastern city of Benghazi.
- Supporting the Libyan-led political process in Libya UK FCDO 24 Mar 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Libya
- UK maintains ambiguity and evasiveness over frozen Libyan funds Press TV 24 Mar 2021 -- The City of London is where Â£12 billion in frozen Libyan funds resides
- Libya: UN envoy hails new national government after years of 'paralysis and internal divisions' UN News 24 Mar 2021 -- After years of "paralysis and internal divisions", progress towards a lasting peace through stable national government and dialogue, is being made in Libya, the top UN envoy for the country said on Wednesday.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Libyan Interim Prime Minister Dabaiba US Dept. of State 22 Mar 2021
- UN experts say Libya arms embargo 'totally ineffective' Press TV 17 Mar 2021 -- United Nations (UN) experts have assessed that the arms embargo imposed on Libya by the world body continues to be violated on a regular basis and remains "totally ineffective."
- LNA Allows Turkish Merchant Ships to Enter Ports in Eastern Libya, Source Reveals Sputnik 17 Mar 2021 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) under Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar allowed Turkish merchant ships to enter ports in eastern Libya, a source confirmed to Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Libya arms embargo 'totally ineffective': UN expert panel UN News 17 Mar 2021 -- An arms embargo imposed on Libya by the Security Council in 2011 remains "totally ineffective" a UN Panel of Experts has said, adding that civilians, including migrants and asylum seekers, continue to suffer widespread rights violations and abuses.
- Libyan government hands power to unity team Press TV 16 Mar 2021 -- Libya's internationally-recognized government has officially handed over power to a new interim executive that is expected to unify the war-torn African country after decade-long violence and division.
- Libya's new interim prime minister sworn in, promises to represent all Libyans Press TV 15 Mar 2021 -- Abdul Hamid Dbeibah has been sworn as Libya's Prime Minister until elections later this year, following years-long violence and division in the North African country.
- UN urges withdrawal of mercenaries from Libya, welcomes unity government Press TV 14 Mar 2021 -- The United Nations Security Council has called for an immediate withdrawal of all foreign forces and mercenaries from Libya as the conflict-ridden African country ushers in a new era with the formation of a national unity government.
- Statement by National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan on Supporting Elections in Libya The White House 12 Mar 2021
- Germany Pushes for Foreign Troop Pullout From Libya After Interim Government Affirmed Sputnik 11 Mar 2021 -- The German foreign minister on Thursday praised a vote by the Libyan parliament to back an interim government, urging foreign powers to move their troops out of the country.
- Joint Statement by France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, and the United States on an Interim Government of National Unity in Libya US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2021 -- France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America welcome the vote of confidence by the overwhelming majority of the members of the House of Representatives meeting in Sirte 8-10 March to endorse the cabinet chosen by Prime Minister-designate Abdulhamid Dabaiba for an interim Government of National Unity.
- Libya's lawmakers approve interim unity government Press TV 10 Mar 2021 -- Libya's divided parliament has voted in support of a unity government which would lead the war-ravaged country into December elections.
- House of Representatives Vote on a Libyan Interim Government of National Unity US Dept. of State 10 Mar 2021 -- "We welcome today's vote of confidence by the House of Representatives in support of the slate of choices put forward by Interim Prime Minister-designate Abdulhamid Dabaiba for an interim Government of National Unity."
- Libya's prime minister-designate proposes unity government Press TV 06 Mar 2021 -- Libyan Prime Minister-designate Abdul Hamid Dbeibeh has proposed a unity government of 27 members, his office says, the latest effort made in an attempt to heal a years-long bloody division in the country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list