U.S. voices concern over suspension of oil exports in Libya
People's Daily Online
(Xinhua) 09:24, January 22, 2020
TRIPOLI, Jan. 21 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. Embassy in Libya on Tuesday expressed concern over the suspension of oil exports due to the closure of oil ports and fields in the country.
"We are deeply concerned that the suspension of National Oil Corporation (NOC) operations risks exacerbating the humanitarian emergency in Libya and inflicting further needless suffering on the Libyan people," the embassy tweeted.
"NOC operations should resume immediately," the embassy said.
Leaders in eastern Libya on Friday closed oil ports, accusing the UN-backed government based in the capital Tripoli of using oil revenues to support armed groups against the east-based rival army.
The state-owned NOC said the closure of the oil fields and ports causes a loss of 1.2 million barrels in daily oil production, which is equivalent to the loss of 77 million U.S. dollars per day.
The east-based rival army had been leading a military campaign since April 2019 in an attempt to take over Tripoli from the UN-backed government.
The conflict has killed and injured thousands of people, and displaced more than 120,000 civilians.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|