Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Russia warns against escalation of tensions in Libya Press TV 31 Dec 2020 -- Russia has warned against the resumption of hostilities in conflict-ridden Libya, after rebel commander Khalifa Haftar called for the continuation of fighting, which has been halted thanks to a United Nations (UN)-brokered truce.
- Libya's Government of National Accord to Continue Defending Tripoli, Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 30 Dec 2020 -- The UN-backed Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) says it will continue to defend the country's capital of Tripoli and warns all sides against attempts to resume hostilities, Foreign Minister Mohamed Siala said Wednesday.
- Russian Foreign Minister and His Libyan GNA Counterpart Hold Joint Press Conference Sputnik 30 Dec 2020 -- The day before, the Russian foreign minister held talks with his Turkish counterpart, during which the two sides agreed to continue facilitating normalisation of the situation in Libya in every possible way.
- Haftar forces 'legitimate targets' if Turkish troops attacked: Ankara Press TV 27 Dec 2020 -- Turkey's defense chief has warned that forces loyal to Libya's renegade general Khalifa Haftar would become "legitimate targets" if they attacked Turkish troops in the North African country.
- Ankara Says Any Attack on Turkish Troops to Make Haftar Forces 'Legitimate Targets' Sputnik 27 Dec 2020 -- Ankara will deem the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA) a "legitimate target" should it try to attack Turkish troops deployed in the North African country, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has said.
- UN hails prisoner exchange between Libyan parties as part of Geneva ceasefire deal Press TV 26 Dec 2020 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has welcomed the exchange of prisoners between warring parties as part of a ceasefire agreement inked more than two months ago in Geneva.
- Khalifa Haftar threatens to target Turkish forces in Libya Press TV 25 Dec 2020 -- Libya's strongman Khalifa Haftar has threatened to target Turkish forces, who have been deployed to Libya to support the UN-recognized government in the face of foreign actors like France, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
- Bulgarian Diplomat Mladenov Unable To Take Up Role As UN Libya Envoy RFE/RL 22 Dec 2020 -- Bulgarian diplomat Nickolay Mladenov has told United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres that he will be unable to take up the role as UN Libya envoy in 2021 due to "personal and family reasons."
- UNSC calls for withdrawal of mercenaries from Libya Press TV 16 Dec 2020 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has demanded the exit of all foreign combatants and mercenaries from war-torn Libya.
- Russia Backs UN Security Council Call For Withdrawal Of Foreign Fighters From Libya RFE/RL 16 Dec 2020 -- The UN Security Council reiterated a call for all foreign fighters to leave Libya in a unanimous statement on December 15 that included the backing of Russia, which has been accused of helping a military contractor send mercenaries into the country.
- Peace dividend for Libya economy, as oil flows and Central Bank unifies exchange rate after years of deadlock UN News 16 Dec 2020 -- The ceasefire that halted Libya's civil war in October has begun to pay economic dividends that should improve living standards for ordinary Libyans, with a first central bank board meeting in five years and a full resumption of oil production helping to build momentum for political change.
- Libyan Women Seek Greater Participation in Peace Talks VOA 11 Dec 2020 -- Libyan women played an influential role in the country's popular protests that led to the downfall of Moammar Gadhafi's regime in October 2011.
- Two Employees Of Foundation Linked To Russian Troll Farm Released From Libyan Custody RFE/RL 10 Dec 2020 -- Two employees of the Moscow-based Foundation for the Protection of Traditional Values with links to a notorious Russian "troll farm" have been released from Libyan custody where they had been held since May 2019.
- LNA Naval Forces Detain Turkish Ship Violating Libya's Territorial Waters, Spokesman Says Sputnik 08 Dec 2020 -- The naval forces of the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, have detained a Turkish merchant ship sailing under the flag of Jamaica and violating Libya's territorial waters, LNA spokesman Maj. Gen. Ahmad al-Mismari told Sputnik.
- 20,000 foreign combatants causing serious crisis in Libya: UN Press TV 03 Dec 2020 -- The United Nations (UN)'s acting Libya envoy has warned that the presence of at least 20,000 foreign combatants and mercenaries in war-torn Libya is causing a "serious crisis" there and constitutes a "shocking violation" of the North African country's sovereignty.
- UN Warns 20,000 Mercenaries and Foreign Fighters Active in Libya as Humanitarian Crisis Grows Sputnik 02 Dec 2020 -- The United Nations estimates that some 20,000 mercenaries are now fighting in Libya, obstructing any progress to end nearly a decade of war with a national government that includes rival armies on opposite ends of the nation, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Wednesday.
- Foreign fighters a 'serious crisis' in Libya, UN mission chief tells high stakes political forum UN News 02 Dec 2020 -- The 20,000 foreign fighters now in Libya represent "a serious crisis" and "a shocking violation of Libyan sovereignty", UN Acting Special Representative Stephanie Williams said on Wednesday, during the latest meeting under the country's political dialogue forum.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list