Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Deputies from Libyan government, rebels agree to 'end divisions' Press TV 30 Nov 2020 -- Representatives of the warring sides in Libya have concluded their latest round of peace talks in Morocco and agreed to "ending the division" that undermines the sovereignty of the North African country.
- Ankara Starts Probe After German Warship Attempts to Search Turkish Cargo Vessel Off Libya Sputnik 27 Nov 2020 -- Germany and other European nations have suspected Ankara of violating the United Nations Security Council's arms embargo against civil-war-torn Libya. On Monday, German authorities confirmed that an attempted inspection of a Turkish-flagged cargo ship bound for the North African nation was stopped following a vocal protest by Turkish authorities.
- The United States Sanctions Libyan Individual and Militia Connected to Serious Human Rights Abuse in Libya US Dept. of State 27 Nov 2020 -- On Wednesday, the United States imposed sanctions on Mohamed al-Kani and the Kaniyat militia in connection with the massacre of hundreds of civilians in recent years.
- Treasury Sanctions Militia and Its Leader in Connection with Serious Human Rights Abuse in Libya US Treasury 25 Nov 2020 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action against Mohamed al-Kani (al-Kani) and the Kaniyat militia, which is responsible for the murder of civilians recently discovered in numerous mass graves in Tarhouna, as well as torture, forced disappearances, and displacement of civilians.
- US Sanctions Libyan Militia Accused of Human Rights Abuses VOA 25 Nov 2020 -- The U.S. Treasury Department has imposed sanctions on Mohamed al-Kani and his Kaniyat militia in Libya for alleged human rights abuses.
- Turkey summons EU, Germany, Italy envoys to protest search of Libya-bound vessel Press TV 24 Nov 2020 -- The Turkish Foreign Ministry has summoned the ambassadors of Germany, Italy and the European Union (EU) to protest the interception of a Turkish-flagged commercial ship bound for Libya in the Eastern Mediterranean by an EU-led mission.
- Europe threatens sanctions against parties violating Libya's fragile peace process Press TV 23 Nov 2020 -- Britain, France, Germany and Italy have threatened to impose sanctions against any parties to the conflict in Libya that violate the fragile peace process in the North African country.
- Turkey Protests Check of Cargo Ship in Mediterranean Suspected of Violation of Arms Embargo on Libya Sputnik 23 Nov 2020 -- German authorities on Monday confirmed reports about the interruption of an inspection of a Turkish vessel suspected of smuggling weapons to Libya and said that EU leaders would discuss the incident at the December summit.
- Welcoming a nationwide ceasefire in Libya UK FCDO 19 Nov 2020 -- Statement by Ambassador Jonathan Allen, UK ChargĂ© d'Affaires to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Libya
- Libyans charting way to secure and prosperous future, but challenges lie ahead UN News 19 Nov 2020 -- Following years of political instability and conflict, Libya is making substantial progress on the path to peace, the top UN official in the country told the Security Council on Thursday.
- Participants of Libyan Political Dialogue Agree to Continue Talks in One Week Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- The participants of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum in Tunisia have agreed to resume talks in one week, in an online format, UN Acting Special Envoy and Head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Stephanie Williams said.
- Libyan elections to take place in December 2021: senior UN official UN News 14 Nov 2020 -- National elections in Libya will take place on 24 December 2021, Stephanie Williams, the head of the UN mission in the country, announced on Friday during a virtual press conference.
- UN Libya mission condemns killing of lawyer, urges probe Press TV 12 Nov 2020 -- The United Nations mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has strongly condemned the killing of a prominent lawyer and women's rights activist in the country's eastern city of Benghazi, calling on relevant authorities to initiate an investigation.
- Libyans Reach Deal on Elections, UN Says VOA 12 Nov 2020 -- Libyan delegates have agreed on a plan to hold elections for parliament and president within 18 months as part of a process to end a decade of violence and instability in the country.
- Libyan Dialogue Participants Agree on Plan to Unite Authorities - UN Sputnik 11 Nov 2020 -- According to the UN diplomat, the parties reached a preliminary agreement on the roadmap to parliamentary and presidential elections in the country, as 18 months are left before the voting takes place.
- ICC Prosecutor calls for Libya ceasefire progress, decries 'powerful forces' hampering global justice UN News 10 Nov 2020 -- The Prosecutor at the International Criminal Court (ICC) is urging Libya's warring parties to implement their recent historic ceasefire agreement, calling it a "welcome concrete development" for a population that has been yearning for peace.
- UN launches new peace talks to end turmoil in Libya Press TV 09 Nov 2020 -- In Libya, the two power rivals have opened UN-led talks aimed at ending nearly a decade of political turmoil and warfare by arranging elections across the country.
- Following peace deal, talks on Libya's political future begin UN News 09 Nov 2020 -- Talks to draw up a blueprint for a new political era in Libya began in Tunisia on Monday, following a peace deal struck by Libya's warring sides last month.
- UN: 'Sabotage' underway amid arbitrary detention of eastern Libyans in Tripoli Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- The United Nations says the 'arbitrary detention' of people arriving in Tripoli from the east amounts to 'sabotage' efforts against the unity of Libyans, against the backdrop of a recently-signed ceasefire agreement.
- Libyan experts discover 17 bodies in mass graves in Haftar's stronghold Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- Libyan experts have discovered 17 bodies in several mass graves in the west of the North African country's Tarhuna region, from where rebel forces under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar launched an aborted assault last year to seize the capital, Tripoli.
- Libyan sides agree plan on implementing ceasefire deal UN News 04 Nov 2020 -- Military officers from Libya's warring parties have agreed practical steps towards implementing a ceasefire agreement, following the signing of an historic accord in Geneva last month, the UN mission in the country, UNSMIL, has reported.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list