Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libyan GNA Head Sarraj Recalls Resignation 'to Avoid Political Vacuum' Sputnik 30 Oct 2020 -- The head of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) Fayez Sarraj said on Friday he had withdrawn his resignation "to avoid a political vacuum."
- Libya's High Council of State Chairman Urges GNA Head Al-Sarraj to Postpone Resignation Sputnik 29 Oct 2020 -- The chairman of the Libyan High Council of State, Khalid al-Mishri, has on Thursday urged the head of the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez al-Sarraj, to postpone his resignation until a new Presidential Council is elected.
- UN envoy hopeful of agreement on Libya election date as UNSC ratifies truce Press TV 28 Oct 2020 -- The United Nations (UN)'s acting Libya envoy has expressed hope that the upcoming political talks between warring parties in the North African country will result in the setting of a date for national elections, as diplomats say the UN Security Council has ratified the recently announced truce.
- Libya's NOC Announces Restoration of All Oil Fields, Ports Operation Sputnik 26 Oct 2020 -- Libya's National Oil Corporation (NOC) announced on Monday the resumption of work at all of the country's oil fields and ports following the lifting of a force majeure event at the El Feel oil station.
- Ceasefire in Libya US Dept. of State 26 Oct 2020 -- "We welcome the announcement of Libyans signing a nationwide, immediate ceasefire agreement at the UN-facilitated 5+5 Joint Military Commission talks in Geneva on October 23."
- Libya ceasefire: UN relaunches inclusive political forum, amid growing 'sense of hope' UN News 26 Oct 2020 -- The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has announced the launch of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum, following the signing of a permanent ceasefire agreement in the strife-torn country.
- Iran welcomes ceasefire agreement between warring sides in Libya: FM spox IRNA 24 Oct 2020 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Saturday that Iran welcomes the ceasefire agreement between the warring parties in Libya.
- UN chief welcomes Libya cease-fire accord People's Daily 24 Oct 2020 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday welcomed the signing of a cease-fire agreement by the Libyan parties in Geneva under the auspices of the United Nations.
- Iran hails UN-brokered ceasefire deal in Libya, urges dialog to resolve crisis Press TV 24 Oct 2020 -- Iran has welcomed a permanent UN-brokered ceasefire agreement between warring sides in Libya, saying the crisis in the North African country should be resolve through dialog.
- UN salutes new Libya ceasefire agreement that points to 'a better, safer, and more peaceful future' UN News 23 Oct 2020 -- Warring parties in Libya on Friday agreed an historic ceasefire, which was hailed by the head of the UN Support Mission in the country (UNSMIL), who led the mediation, as a courageous act that can help secure a "a better, safer, and more peaceful future for all the Libyan people".
- Libya Cease-Fire 'Critical' Step Toward Peace, Stability, UN Chief Says VOA 23 Oct 2020 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres welcomed a permanent and immediate nationwide cease-fire in Libya signed Friday by the two main warring parties.
- Libya Ceasefire Takes Effect Immediately After Signing, United Nations Announces Sputnik 23 Oct 2020 -- The ceasefire agreement that participants of Libya's 5+5 Joint Military Commission inked on Friday in Geneva takes effect immediately after signing, the head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said.
- UN chief hails Libya ceasefire deal as 'fundamental step' toward peace Press TV 23 Oct 2020 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has described the permanent ceasefire agreement between warring sides in Libya as a "fundamental step toward peace and stability" in the North African country, which has been the scene of deadly fighting.
- Libya rival sides agree to sign permanent ceasefire deal: UN envoy Press TV 23 Oct 2020 -- Libya's rival sides have eventually agreed to sign a permanent ceasefire agreement in all areas, to bring an end to months of deadly fighting in the North African nation.
- UN envoy expresses high hopes for Libya ceasefire Press TV 21 Oct 2020 -- The United Nations (UN)'s acting Libya envoy has expressed optimism that ongoing peace negotiations between the Libyan warring sides would end in a lasting ceasefire, after they announced the reopening of land and air routes..
- UN Mediator 'Very Optimistic' About Latest Steps in Libya Peace Talks VOA 21 Oct 2020 -- A United Nations mediator reports positive developments after two days of face-to-face peace talks involving military leaders from Libya's warring parties. A fourth round of the Libyan Joint Military Commission aimed at achieving a permanent cease-fire is taking place in Geneva this week.
- Sarkozy charged with 'criminal conspiracy' over Libya bribes Press TV 17 Oct 2020 -- Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has been indicted for accepting cash funds for his 2007 election campaign from longtime Libyan ruler Muammar Qaddafi, who was toppled in 2011 after a Western military intervention, with Sarkozy being the driving force behind the move that led to his downfall.
- First direct talks between Libyan rivals to be held in Tunisia next month: UN Press TV 11 Oct 2020 -- The United Nations mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has announced that the first in-person political talks between the North African country's rival authorities will take place in Tunisia next month.
- Libya's State Oil Firm Lifts Force Majeure to Restart Production at Largest Oil Field Sputnik 11 Oct 2020 -- Libya's National Oil Corporation (NOC) said on Sunday that it was lifting the state of force majeure over the al-Sharara oil field, the largest in the country, and restarting production.
- UAE, Turkey routinely violating Libya arms embargo: Investigation Press TV 08 Oct 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Turkey have been routinely violating a 2011 arms embargo on Libya and fueling the protracted war in the North African country, according to an investigation.
- Turkey's Erdogan, Libya's Sarraj reaffirm bilateral cooperation in Istanbul meeting Press TV 05 Oct 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has met with Libya's outgoing Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj, who heads the UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) in the North African country.
- Erdogan Holds Talks With Head of Libya's Government of National Accord Sputnik 05 Oct 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has held talks with the head of the UN-recognised Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez Sarraj, the Turkish presidential administration informed in a statement.
- Under Secretary Hale's Participation in the Ministerial Level Meeting on Libya US Dept. of State 05 Oct 2020 -- Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale participated in the Ministerial Meeting on Libya today with the co-hosts, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres and German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, as well as other Berlin Process members, and Libya's neighbors.
- Put peace in Libya first, UN chief urges summit on war-shattered nation UN News 05 Oct 2020 -- A "rare opportunity" for peace in Libya should be seized by all those involved directly or indirectly in the conflict, AntÃ³nio Guterres said on Monday, at a High-Level virtual meeting convened to end the fighting.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list