Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libyan rivals conclude talks on key security and military issues UN News 30 Sep 2020 -- Delegations from Libya's warring sides meeting in Egypt have concluded two days of security and military talks in efforts towards a lasting ceasefire, the UN political mission for the country, UNSMIL, has reported.
- Eastern Libya's Foreign Minister Urges Foreign Companies to Invest in National Oil Sector Sputnik 25 Sep 2020 -- Foreign Minister Abdul Hadi al-Huweij of Libya's eastern-based administration has inspected oilfields and ports after the recent resumption of oil production and called on foreign investors to return to the country's oil sector after a month-long hiatus, the foreign ministry said early on Friday.
- Libya is a victim of migration, not its reason, says GNA President Serraj UN News 24 Sep 2020 -- Libya, as a country of transit for migrants, cannot surmount the associated challenges without international support, the country's Head of State told world leaders gathered virtually for the UN General Assembly, rejecting "unilateral" reports on the situation of migrants.
- Libyan National Army Kills Daesh Ringleader in North Africa, Spokesman Says Sputnik 23 Sep 2020 -- A spokesperson for the Libyan National Army (LNA), Ahmad al-Mismari, said on Wednesday that the LNA has eliminated one of the ringleaders of the Daesh* terrorist group in North Africa.
- Turkey condemns EU âbiasâ in Libya-related sanctions Press TV 22 Sep 2020 -- Turkey says the European Union (EU) has acted with âbiasâ by imposing sanctions on a Turkish firm over its alleged violation of a United Nations (UN) arms embargo on Libya.
- Turkey to keep supporting Libya's GNA despite PM Sarrajâs plan to quit Press TV 21 Sep 2020 -- Turkey says it will continue its cooperation with Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) despite Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarrajâs desire to step down by the end of next month.
- Libyaâs NOC announces oil production, export in ports without Haftarâs rebels Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Libyaâs national oil company has resumed oil production and export from eastern terminals that are free from the presence of rebel forces under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya's Haftar Announces Resumption of Oil Production, Exports Sputnik 18 Sep 2020 -- Protests broke out in areas loyal to both the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord in western Libya and the Tobruk-based House of Representatives government in the east amid blackouts, lack of services and poor living conditions in recent weeks. This week, both of the divided nation's rival governments announced plans to resign.
- Libya's Prime Minister Sarraj says will resign by end of next month Press TV 17 Sep 2020 -- Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj of Libya's internationally-recognized government says he will step down by the end of next month, amid efforts to find a solution to the North African country's years-long political conflict.
- Libya's UN-backed Prime Minister 'Ready to Step Down' if New Leader Chosen VOA 17 Sep 2020 -- As rival Libyan political leaders prepare for a new round of talks in Geneva next month, U.N.-backed Tripoli-based Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj says that he is ready to step down to ensure a "peaceful transition of power."
- Libya's Prime Minister Sarraj to resign soon: Report Press TV 16 Sep 2020 -- Libyan Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj will announce his resignation soon, a report says, amid ongoing negotiations with a rival power camp about the political future of the country.
- Head of Libya's GNA Sarraj Says Will Transfer Powers to Executive Authority by End-October Sputnik 16 Sep 2020 -- The head of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez Sarraj, announced his intention to transfer his powers to a new executive authority by the end of October.
- Libya's GNA Denies Reports of Prime Minister Saraj's Resignation, Calls Them Disinformation Sputnik 15 Sep 2020 -- Back in August both sides in the civil war - the Government of National Accord (GNA) and a Tobruk-based parliament, supported by the Libyan National Army, had called for a ceasefire amid the pandemic.
- Eastern Libyan Interim Prime Minister Resigns Following Protests VOA 14 Sep 2020 -- The prime minister of eastern Libya's interim government has resigned following protests in several eastern Libyan towns and cities, including an attack on the headquarters of military commander Gen. Khalifa Haftar over the weekend.
- Libyan protesters torch Haftar-backed govt. headquarters in Benghazi Press TV 13 Sep 2020 -- Libyan protesters have reportedly set fire to headquarters of the eastern administration backed by rebel forces under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar in the country's second city of Benghazi.
- Libya's Eastern-Based Gov't Submits Resignation to Parliament Amid Ongoing Protests Sputnik 13 Sep 2020 -- Libya's interim government led by Prime Minister Abdullah Thani has submitted a letter of resignation to Tobruk-based House of Representatives Speaker Aguila Saleh, the parliament said in a press release on Sunday.
- US Embassy Says Libyan National Army Offered Assurances on Resumption of Oil Production Sputnik 12 Sep 2020 -- The US Embassy in Libya welcomes the assurance of Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, the head of the Libyan National Army (LNA), that the energy sector in the country would reopen no later than 12 September.
- Arab Media Reports Some Key Breakthroughs in Moroccan Libya Talks VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- Rival Libyan political leaders held joint talks Thursday in Morocco and Egypt amid reports of some breakthroughs over key issues, including elections and uniting rival governments.
- Libya Political Talks in Morocco Appear Bumpy Despite Some Measure of Goodwill VOA 07 Sep 2020 -- As political talks wound down on the second and final day of negotiations in the town of Bouznika, Libya's two rival camps issued a statement saying that they were "intent on reaching an agreement."
- Libya arms embargo totally ineffective: UN official Press TV 03 Sep 2020 -- A United Nations (UN) official has warned of "blatant" violations of the arms embargo on conflict-ridden Libya, where warring sides have been receiving direct and indirect support from foreign patrons.
- Russia Denies Involvement As UN Slams Arms Shipments, Foreign Mercenaries In Libya RFE/RL 03 Sep 2020 -- The top UN official for Libya says foreign backers of the war-wracked country's rival governments have ramped up weapons shipments in violation of an international arms embargo.
- Committing to a lasting ceasefire in Libya UK FCDO 02 Sep 2020 -- Statement by Ambassador Jonathan Allen, UK Chargé d'Affaires to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on the situation in Libya
- Security Council support 'in action' for Libya, crucial for its future, declares UN mission chief UN News 02 Sep 2020 -- The top UN official in Libya urged the Security Council on Wednesday to press for an immediate de-escalation of tensions and a return to negotiations, following the call from rival political leaders for a ceasefire on 21 August.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list