Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Tripoli Power Struggle Prompts Egypt Visit by UN Special Libya Envoy VOA 29 Aug 2020 -- A week of protests in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, and an apparent power struggle inside the National Unity Government that controls the west of the country have both the U.N. and regional power brokers Egypt and Turkey jockeying to resume stalled political talks inside the country.
- Libya's UN-backed gov't accuses eastern-based army of attacking its forces in Sirte People's Daily 28 Aug 2020 -- The UN-backed Libyan government on Thursday accused the rival eastern-based army of attacking its forces in Sirte city.
- Libya Government of National Accord's Prime Minister Fires Interior Minister Amid Protests Sputnik 28 Aug 2020 -- The prime minister of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez Sarraj, has fired Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha amid the ongoing protests in the western part of the country, the GNA said in a statement.
- Haftar rejects Sarraj's call for Libya truce as 'media marketing' Press TV 24 Aug 2020 -- Libyan rebels led by renegade general Khalifa Haftar have rejected a ceasefire announcement by the internationally-recognized government in Tripoli.
- Libyans Hit Streets Despite Cease-Fire VOA 24 Aug 2020 -- When shots were heard in Tripoli's Martyr's Square Sunday evening, a few protesters scattered. Others cheered, arms aloft, shouting, "Libya! Libya!"
- UN Invites Libyan Tribes to Participate in Crisis Settlement, Country's Elders Council Official Says Sputnik 22 Aug 2020 -- Libyan tribes have been invited to participate in the political process on the Libyan crisis settlement by the United Nations, Senussi al-Haleeq, the deputy chairman of the Supreme Council of Libyan Sheikhs and Elders, which supports the Libyan National Army, said on Saturday.
- Libya government announces immediate ceasefire Press TV 21 Aug 2020 -- Libya's internationally-recognized government has announced a nationwide ceasefire and called for demilitarization in the strategic city of Sirte, which is held by strongman Khalifa Haftar's rebels.
- Libyan Sides Declare Ceasefire, Demilitarised Zones, Call on Int'l Forces to Withdraw Sputnik 21 Aug 2020 -- Libya is currently divided between two rival governments – an elected parliament in the east of the country, supported by the Libyan National Army (LNA), and the Government of National Accord (GNA) in the west, headed by Fayez Sarraj.
- NATO Secretary General discusses eastern Mediterranean, Libya with Foreign Minister of Turkey NATO 19 Aug 2020 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg spoke by telephone with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavusoglu on Wednesday (19 August 2020). They discussed recent developments in the eastern Mediterranean, as well as in Libya.
- Libya's oil ports may reopen to fix power cuts: Haftar associate Press TV 19 Aug 2020 -- A rebel commander linked to Libya's military strongman Khalifa Haftar says the country's eastern oil ports could reopen in a bid to repair local power shortages.
- Libya to Export Only Oil Accumulated in Terminals, LNA Says Sputnik 19 Aug 2020 -- Libya, following the resumption of the operation of oil facilities, will export only oil accumulated in port terminals, crude produced at deposits will not be exported, Libyan National Army spokesman Major General Ahmad al-Mismari said.
- Libya: UN human right chief appoints independent investigators to probe abuses UN News 19 Aug 2020 -- UN-led efforts to address serious rights violations in Libya, received a boost on Wednesday with the appointment of three independent investigators to document abuses in the war-torn country.
- Report: Turkey, Qatar, Libya agree to establishment of Turkish base in Misrata Press TV 18 Aug 2020 -- Turkey, Qatar, and Libya's internationally-recognized government, known as the GNA, have allegedly signed a trilateral agreement on the establishment of a Turkish naval base in Misrata in northwestern Libya.
- 'Stop Partying:' Libyan Doctors Warn Public as COVID Cases Surge VOA 18 Aug 2020 -- Doctors in Libya have raced for a surge in serious coronavirus cases, as the infection rate has jumped in recent weeks.
- Turkey, Qatar, Libya's GNA Agree to Establish Turkish Naval Base in Misrata - Reports Sputnik 17 Aug 2020 -- Turkey, Qatar, and Libya's Government of National Accord signed an agreement to establish a Turkish naval base in the Libyan city of Misrata, the Al-Arabiya TV channel reported citing sources.
- US Imposes Libya Sanctions on 3 Individuals, Entity in Malta, Treasury Says Sputnik 06 Aug 2020 -- The United States has imposed new sanctions on three individuals and an entity based in Malta for allegedly smuggling fuel from and drugs to Libya, the Treasury Department said in a statement on Thursday.
- The United States Sanctions Network Threatening the Security of Libya US Dept. of State 06 Aug 2020 -- Today, the United States imposed financial sanctions on a network of smugglers contributing to the instability in Libya.
- Treasury Sanctions Criminal Network Threatening the Stability and Security of Libya US Treasury 06 Aug 2020 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action against a network of smugglers contributing to instability in Libya.
- In Nod To Russia, U.S. Condemns Foreign Military Involvement In Libya RFE/RL 05 Aug 2020 -- The United States has said it is "deeply troubled" by growing violence in Libya and called on foreign powers to end their proxy war in the troubled North African nation.
- Libyan tribes sue rebel commander at ICC over civilian massacre Press TV 04 Aug 2020 -- Libyan tribes have filed a lawsuit with the International Criminal Court (ICC) over the massacre of civilians by rebel militia led by military strongman Khalifa Haftar and Emirati fighter jets in southern Libya last year.
- Russian Mercenaries in Libya Leave Mines as Deadly Calling Cards, Observers Say VOA 04 Aug 2020 -- International observers are sounding the alarm about an alliance between Russian mercenaries and a Libyan militia, which they say imperils civilians and risks intensifying Libya's civil war.
- Statement from National Security Adviser Robert C. O'Brien Regarding Libya The White House 04 Aug 2020
- Fear of Instability Behind Egypt's Readiness to Send Troops to Libya, Experts Say VOA 02 Aug 2020 -- Libya's civil war and its role in regional stability have become more uncertain since June 20 when the Egyptian parliament authorized its troops to cross the border to help the forces of General Khalifa Haftar against Turkey-backed Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Turkey, UAE clash over Libya conflict, trade accusations of interference Press TV 02 Aug 2020 -- A war of words has escalated between Turkey and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) over Libya, where the two states support opposing sides in the African country's long-running conflict.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list