Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libyan rebels overhaul, operationalize old S-200 systems: Report Press TV 30 Jul 2020 -- Rebel forces in Libya have purportedly overhauled and operationalized old Russian-built S-200 air defense systems to use them against government forces and Turkey.
- U.S. Says Russian Military Supplying More Weapons And Vagner Group Fighters To Libya RFE/RL 25 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. military has accused Russia of supplying more offensive weapons and fighters to Libya in an attempt gain a foothold in the North African country.
- Russia and the Wagner Group continue to be involved in both ground and air operations in Libya AFRICOM 24 Jul 2020 -- U.S. Africa Command has mounting evidence that Russia, through the Wagner Group, continues to position military equipment in Libya capable of conducting kinetic operations there.
- Turkey warns Egypt of 'dangerous military adventure' in Libya Press TV 23 Jul 2020 -- Turkey has warned that Egypt would embark on a "dangerous adventure" if it went ahead with a plan to deploy troops in the North African country.
- In Ankara, Turkey, Russia declare coordination for Libya truce Press TV 22 Jul 2020 -- Russia and Turkey have agreed to work harder for a sustainable ceasefire in Libya in coordination with the United Nations.
- Qatari Defenсe Minister in Talks With Turkish Counterpart, Libya's GNA Interior Minister Sputnik 21 Jul 2020 -- Qatari Minister of State for Defen?e Khalid bin Mohamed Al Attiyah has held negotiations with his Turkish counterpart, Hulusi Akar, and Fathi Bashagha, the interior minister of Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), amid Cairo's decision on the possible deployment of armed forces to Libya, the ministry said.
- Egypt Parliament approves troop deployment in Libya Press TV 21 Jul 2020 -- The Egyptian parliament has unanimously approved the deployment of troops outside the country, laying the groundwork for a possible military intervention in Libya.
- Libya Remains Calm as Egypt's Parliament Authorizes Military Intervention VOA 21 Jul 2020 -- The Egyptian parliament has authorized President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi to deploy Egyptian troops to neighboring Libya, should the need arise. Sissi warned the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) and its backers in Turkey earlier this month not to cross a "red line" Egypt considers vital to its security in the Libyan coastal port town of Sirte.
- Turkey Faces Pressure as Libyan Conflict Widens VOA 21 Jul 2020 -- The Egyptian parliament's decision Monday to authorize the possible deployment of Egyptian troops in Libya is highlighting concerns in the region about a possible escalation of the Libyan conflict. International pressure is, meanwhile, growing on Turkey over its involvement as Ankara doubled down on its support of Libya's Government of National Accord, fueling fears of a wider a regional war.
- Egypt's Parl't Approves Permission to Deploy Troops to Carry Out Combat Missions Abroad, Reports Say Sputnik 20 Jul 2020 -- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi said on 16 July at a meeting with Libyan sheikhs and elders that Egypt would quickly reverse the military situation in Libya if it sends troops to the North African country.
- France, Germany, Italy threaten sanctions on violators of Libya's arms embargo Press TV 19 Jul 2020 -- France, Germany and Italy have threatened to impose sanctions against countries that are violating a United Nations (UN) arms embargo on conflict-torn Libya.
- France, Germany and Italy threaten sanctions over arms for Libya SPA 19 Jul 2020 -- The leaders of France, Germany and Italy on Saturday threatened to use sanctions against countries that continued to violate a United Nations arms embargo on Libya, Reuters reported.
- China provides medical supplies to Libya to fight COVID-19 People's Daily 18 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy in Libya on Friday handed over a batch of medical supplies to the Libyan Embassy in Tunisia to help the northern African country fight the COVID-19 pandemic, the Chinese embassy said in a statement.
- Pentagon Says Turkey Sent 3,500 Syrian Fighters To Back Libyan Government RFE/RL 18 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. military says Turkey sent more than 3,500 Syrian fighters to Libya during the first three months of 2020 to help the North African country's internationally recognized government in its civil war against a rebel commander.
- Germany, France, Italy Threaten Sanctions Over Libya Arms Ban Violations Sputnik 18 Jul 2020 -- The German, Italian and French leaders said in a joint statement on Saturday they were ready to consider sanctions as a response to violations of the UN arms embargo on Libya.
- Turkey's Erdogan says Egypt involved in 'illegal' action in Libya Press TV 17 Jul 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Egypt is taking "illegal" action in Libya by supporting the rebels there.
- Libya denounces Egypt's threats of military intervention Press TV 17 Jul 2020 -- Libya has denounced the Egyptian president's recent threats of military intervention in the North African country to support forces of renegade strongman Khalifa Haftar.
- Russia, Wagner Group complicating Libyan ceasefire efforts AFRICOM 15 Jul 2020 -- U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has clear evidence that Russian employed, state-sponsored Wagner Group laid landmines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in and around Tripoli, further violating the United Nations arms embargo and endangering the lives of innocent Libyans.
- U.S. Accuses Russian-Backed Mercenaries Of Mining Libya In Violation Of UN Arms Embargo RFE/RL 15 Jul 2020 -- The United States military command in Africa has accused the Kremlin-connected military contractor Vagner Group of violating a United Nations arms embargo and endangering the lives of innocent Libyans by laying land mines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in and around Tripoli.
- Haftar Parliament Authorizes Egyptian Military Intervention in Libya VOA 14 Jul 2020 -- Libya's eastern-based parliament has passed a resolution approving Egypt's direct military intervention to counter Turkey's backing of the internationally recognized government in Tripoli.
- Libya headed for conflict: Pro-rebel parl. invites Egypt intervention; Turkey gives ultimatum Press TV 14 Jul 2020 -- Libya's conflict seems to be headed for escalation, with the pro-rebel parliament "approving" Egyptian military intervention in the country, and Turkey conditioning an earlier ceasefire to the handing over of Sirte city and Jufra airbase to the government.
- Libyan Parliament Speaker Calls for Peace Talks, Despite Giving Egypt Green Light to Intervene Militarily VOA 14 Jul 2020 -- As tensions between Libya's two rival governments and their international backers continue to worsen, the eastern Libya-based parliament has authorized Egypt to intervene militarily if the security of either country is threatened. At the same time, the speaker of the eastern parliament is calling for the U.N. to continue its mediation efforts.
- Libya oil company says UAE ordered Haftar's forces to re-impose blockade on crude exports Press TV 13 Jul 2020 -- Libya's national oil company says the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has been behind a decision by eastern-based rebel forces to hinder its latest efforts to resume crude exports for the first time in six months and re-impose a blockade on the country's oil industry.
- Turkey Calls on Haftar's Troops to Withdraw From Sirte, Jufra Sputnik 13 Jul 2020 -- Units of the Libyan National Army, headed by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, must withdraw from Sirte and Jufra, and if they fail to do so a military operation against them will be launched, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Monday.
- Libya rebels say will continue blockade on oil despite deal with govt. Press TV 12 Jul 2020 -- Rebels in Libya say they will continue a blockade on the country's oil industry despite an agreement with the Tripoli government on reopening oil ports and fields.
- Libya's NOC Says Lifting Force Majeure on Oil Exports But Production Low for Now Sputnik 10 Jul 2020 -- Libya's National Oil Corporation (NOC) said Friday it had lifted the force majeure regime off oil exports, adding that the production was still low because of technical issues.
- Foreign meddling in Libya at unprecedented levels: UN chief Press TV 09 Jul 2020 -- The United Nations (UN) secretary-general warns that foreign interference in the conflict in Libya has reached "unprecedented" levels.
- Russia, Turkey working on ceasefire in Libya Press TV 08 Jul 2020 -- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Moscow and Ankara are working on an immediate ceasefire agreement in Libya.
- Time is running out for Libya, UN chief warns Security Council UN News 08 Jul 2020 -- With battle lines shifting, foreign interference growing, thousands fleeing their homes and COVID-19 cases on the rise, time is running out for bringing a peaceful end to the conflict in Libya, Secretary-General António Guterres says.
- UN Chief: 'Unprecedented Levels' of Foreign Interference in Libya VOA 08 Jul 2020 -- The U.N. Secretary-General warned Wednesday that "time is not on our side" in Libya, saying the conflict has entered a new phase, with foreign interference reaching "unprecedented levels."
- United Nations Says Explosive Devices Kill 138 in Libya VOA 08 Jul 2020 -- In a video posted widely in early June, a man sits on the ground with blood on his face and one leg splayed to the side.
- Landmines planted by Libya rebels kill, injure nearly 140 in Tripoli: UN Press TV 07 Jul 2020 -- Landmines planted by rebels in Libya have killed and wounded nearly 140 people in the south of the capital, Tripoli, over the past two months, a United Nations (UN) official says.
- Libya's Intl.-backed govt. denounces overnight airstrikes against recently-recaptured airbase Press TV 05 Jul 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed government has lambasted alleged overnight airstrikes against a recently-retaken strategic airbase in the war-torn country's west, stressing that the raids were conducted by a "foreign air force."
- France should apologize over 'false claims' about naval incident in Mediterranean: Turkish FM Press TV 02 Jul 2020 -- Turkey says France should apologize for making "false claims" about a naval incident between the warships of the two NATO allies in the Mediterranean last month that prompted Paris to ask for a NATO investigation.
- Turkey Wants France to Apologise Over Mediterranean Warships Incident That Led to NATO Probe Sputnik 02 Jul 2020 -- Turkish frigates confronted French naval forces in the Mediterranean Sea as they tried to inspect a ship, purportedly carrying weapons to Libya in violation of the UN ban. The incident took place amid Ankara's attempts to help the UN recognised government of national accord in its fight against the army of General Haftar.
- Turkey accuses France of 'bias' toward UAE, Egypt in Libya Press TV 01 Jul 2020 -- Turkey's Ambassador to Paris has accused France of being "biased" toward the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, saying the French government is ignoring violations of a Libyan arms embargo imposed by the United Nations Security Council to the benefit of renegade General Khalifa Haftar.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list