Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Press release on the seizure of Libyan currency in Malta Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 30 May 2020 -- We have taken note of the official statement posted by the US Department of State on the seizure by Malta of "$1.1 billion of counterfeit Libyan currency printed by Joint Stock Company Goznak" for the eastern-based Libyan government.
- U.S. General: Russian Aircraft Flown To Libya Linked To Moscow's Pursuit Of Foothold In Region RFE/RL 30 May 2020 -- The U.S. military's Africa Command (AFRICOM) has rejected Russia's claim that Moscow did not deploy fighter jets to Libya, saying on May 29 that the aircraft reflected Russia's goal to establish a foothold in the oil-rich country.
- US General: Russia Using 'Same Playbook' in Libya as in Ukraine, Syria VOA 29 May 2020 -- Russia is further destabilizing Libya to gain a stronghold in northern Africa, just as it has in Eastern Europe and the Middle East, according to a top official with U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM).
- Seizure by Malta of $1.1 Billion of Counterfeit Libyan Currency US Dept. of State 29 May 2020 -- The United States commends the Government of the Republic of Malta's announcement May 26 of its seizure of $1.1 billion of counterfeit Libyan currency printed by Joint Stock Company Goznak-a Russian state-owned company-and ordered by an illegitimate parallel entity.
- Interview: Russia And Turkey Kick A 'Wasp's Nest' In Libya RFE/RL 28 May 2020 -- Russia and Turkey seem to be on the brink of a serious confrontation in Libya, while simultaneously supporting opposing sides in the civil war in Syria.
- Libya's Economic Losses From Ports Blockade Reach About $5 Billion, National Oil Corporation Says Sputnik 28 May 2020 -- Economic losses resulting from the blockade of Libyan ports used by the National Oil Corporation (NOC) have reached about $5 billion, the NOC reports.
- Russia denies US claim of sending fighter jets to Libya Press TV 27 May 2020 -- Russia has dismissed as "disinformation" claims by the United States that Moscow has deployed fighter planes to Libya to support its "mercenaries" aiding the rebels in the North African country.
- U.S. Releases More Details About MiG-29s, Su-24s It Says Were Flown To Libya RFE/RL 27 May 2020 -- The U.S. military has provided more details about an alleged Russian deployment of fighter jets to Libya, as officials in Russia continued to deny the presence of Russian military aircraft or personnel in the North African country.
- Russia deploys military fighter aircraft to Libya AFRICOM 26 May 2020 -- U.S. Africa Command assesses that Moscow recently deployed military fighter aircraft to Libya in order to support Russian state-sponsored private military contractors (PMCs) operating on the ground there.
- U.S. Accuses Russia Of Sending Jets To Libya To Support Mercenaries RFE/RL 26 May 2020 -- The United States says Moscow has deployed military jets to Libya to provide support for Russian mercenaries helping a local warlord battle the North African country's internationally recognized government.
- AFRICOM: Russia Deploys Fighter Jets to Libya VOA 26 May 2020 -- U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) says Russia recently deployed military fighter aircraft to Libya to support Russian state-sponsored, private military contractors, who are helping forces fighting the U.N.-supported Libyan government.
- UN reveals secret Western mission backing Libya's rebels against Turkey Press TV 26 May 2020 -- United Nations (UN) experts have disclosed a secret military operation by several Western countries in Libya that is aimed at supporting Libyan rebels under the command of military strongman Khalifa Haftar by interrupting Turkey's shipment of arms to the government in Tripoli.
- Libyan government takes 3 military camps from rebels in southern Tripoli Global Times 24 May 2020 -- The UN-backed Libyan government's forces on Saturday said it took over three military camps from the rival eastern-based army in the south of the capital Tripoli, as the armed conflict between the two rivals continued.
- Libya's rebel commander urges forces to rally against Turkey Press TV 24 May 2020 -- The self-styled commander of the rebels in Libya, Khalifa Haftar, has called on his forces to rally against Turkey, which militarily backs the government in the country's capital, Tripoli.
- Libyan National Army Spokesman Accuses Turkey of Violating UN Arms Embargo Sputnik 22 May 2020 -- The allegations came the same day that Gen. Khalifa Haftar's forces warned Ankara that Turkish forces "illegally operating" in Libya would be subject to destruction in a massive aerial campaign. The Turkish Foreign Ministry warned that such an attack would make Libyan National Army (LNA) troops a "legitimate target" for Turkish forces.
- Ankara Warns of 'Serious Consequences' After Haftar's Air Force Reveals Plan to Strike Turkish Units Sputnik 21 May 2020 -- Turkey began sending troops to Libya in January to shore up the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA). Before that, Ankara provided the GNA with military equipment to assist Tripoli in its ongoing campaign against the Tobruk-based government and the Libyan National Army (LNA) of Gen. Khalifa Haftar.
- UN envoy urges end to foreign support for warring sides in Libya Press TV 20 May 2020 -- The United Nations (UN)'s acting envoy for Libya has called on the Security Council to press countries to end their sponsorship of warring sides in the North African country, warning that the influx of arms and mercenaries will aggravate the conflict.
- UN official says militants from Syria being sent to fight in Libya Press TV 19 May 2020 -- United Nations (UN) Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen says militants from the Arab country are being sent to Libya to fight on both sides of the conflict there.
- 'Alarming' military build-up underway in Libya, as COVID-19 heightens insecurity UN News 19 May 2020 -- The civil war in Libya is in danger of intensifying as foreign intervention grows and the spectre of the COVID-19 pandemic adds to a deepening sense of insecurity, the head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) told the Security Council on Tuesday.
- GNA Forces Retake Libya's Strategic Al-Watiya Airbase From Haftar - Reports Sputnik 18 May 2020 -- The Government of National Accord's (GNA) forces recaptured the strategic Al-Watiya airbase from the rival Libyan National Army (LNA) on Monday, Turkish media reported, citing the headquarters of Operation Volcano of Rage.
- UN-Backed Forces in Libya Seize Major Airbase VOA 18 May 2020 -- Forces loyal to Libya's internationally recognized government have seized a major airbase south of Tripoli from rival forces who have been trying to take over Libya for more than a year.
- Forces allied with Libya's GNA take control of key base near Tripoli Press TV 18 May 2020 -- Forces allied with Libya's internationally recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) have wrested control of a key military base on the outskirts of the capital Tripoli from renegade General Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya's UN-backed GNA forces destroy Haftar's air defense system, drone south of Tripoli Press TV 17 May 2020 -- Libya's UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) says its forces have managed to shut down another air defense system and shoot down a drone belonging rebels loyal to renegade General Khalifa Haftar southwest of capital Tripoli.
- UAE dispatched mercenaries to help rebels in Libya: UN report Press TV 17 May 2020 -- A confidential report by the United Nations says two private military companies based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have sent foreign mercenaries to support Libyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar in his offensive to seize the country's capital Tripoli.
- NATO Secretary General, Libyan Prime Minister discuss situation in Libya NATO 16 May 2020 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg had a phone call with the Prime Minister of Libya, Fayez al-Sarraj, on Saturday (16 May 2020), at the Prime Minister's request, to discuss developments in Libya.
- Libya rebels attack Tripoli's main hospital Press TV 14 May 2020 -- Libyan rebels loyal to military strongman Khalifa Haftar have struck the main hospital of the capital, Tripoli, the Libyan army says.
- Turkey: UAE bringing chaos to Mideast through interventions in Libya, Yemen Press TV 13 May 2020 -- Amid rising frictions between Ankara and Abu Dhabi, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has hit out at the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for "bringing chaos" to the already-troubled Middle East region through its interventions in Libya and Yemen.
- Rival Libyan Forces Square Off in Tripoli VOA 12 May 2020 -- Forces loyal to Libya's two rival governments continue to square off in and around the capital, Tripoli, as each side tries to wrest strategic positions and territory from the other.
- Libya rebels intensify campaign to overtake Tripoli Press TV 11 May 2020 -- Libyan rebels loyal to military strongman Khalifa Haftar have heavily bombarded the capital city, Tripoli, in a new push to gain positions in its southern suburbs after losing ground elsewhere in the country.
- Heavy rocket attack by Libya rebels damages airport in Tripoli, kills 6 Press TV 10 May 2020 -- Libyan rebels have heavily attacked an airport in the capital Tripoli, killing six civilians and inflicting damage in and around the facility.
- At Least 3 Dead, a Dozen Wounded in Libya VOA 10 May 2020 -- Heavy shelling in residential areas of Tripoli, Libya's capital, left at least three dead and a dozen wounded Saturday, according to official sources.
- Ankara threatens to target Haftar's forces if they continue to attack Turkey's interests Press TV 10 May 2020 -- Turkey has warned that it would deem the rebel forces of Libya's renegade General Khalifa Haftar "legitimate targets" if they continue to attack Turkey's interests and diplomatic missions in the violence-wracked North African country.
- Turkey Threatens Retaliation Against Haftar's Forces in Libya VOA 10 May 2020 -- Turkey is threatening tough retaliation if forces loyal to Libyan general Khalifa Haftar strike Turkish interests or its diplomatic missions in Tripoli or elsewhere.
- Several Fires Break Out as Jet Fuel Storage Facility Attacked at Mitiga Airport in Libya Sputnik 09 May 2020 -- Mitiga International Airport in Tripoli, Libya has been forced to suspend its activities several times over the past several months due to shelling amid a confrontation between warring factions in the conflict-torn nation.
- UN condemns deadly shelling on civilian areas of Libyan capital UN News 09 May 2020 -- The UN Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has condemned several recent attacks on civilian areas of the Libyan Capital, Tripoli, which have reportedly caused deaths and injuries.
- Libyan Rival Forces Clash; Tripoli Airport Sustains Damage VOA 09 May 2020 -- Mitiga Airbase, Tripoli's main civilian and military airport, came under rocket attack by forces loyal to eastern military commander Gen. Khalifa Haftar Saturday, with some of its infrastructure and several passenger jets sustaining heavy damage.
- U.S. Accuses Russia Of Inflaming Libya Conflict, Sending Syrian Fighters RFE/RL 08 May 2020 -- The United States has accused Russia of worsening the situation in war-torn Libya and funneling Syrian mercenaries to support Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar in his battle to capture the capital, Tripoli.
- From Syria to Libya: Captured Mercenaries Recount Tales of Coercion, Deception Sputnik 08 May 2020 -- As violence returns to Libya, Syrian foreign mercenaries get caught in the crosshairs between Tobruk and Tripoli, but instead of hardened warriors, they cut out a sorry figure.s
- UN Monitors Say Mercenaries From Russia's Vagner Group Fighting In Libya RFE/RL 07 May 2020 -- UN experts say mercenaries from the Vagner group, a Russian private security firm, are supporting Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar in his battle to capture the capital, Tripoli.
- Libyan government forces launch offensive to liberate key airbase from Haftar rebels Press TV 05 May 2020 -- Forces with Libya's internationally-recognized government have reportedly launched an offensive to liberate a key airbase southwest of the capital Tripoli from the clutches of rebel forces loyal to renegade General Khalifa Haftar.
- Attacks on civilians, arbitrary arrests, top list of abuses in Libya: ICC Prosecutor UN News 05 May 2020 -- Unabated violence, particularly in and around the Libyan capital, has now been raging for more than a year, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) told the Security Council in a virtual briefing on Tuesday, warning that war crimes may have been committed.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list