Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libya's UN-backed GNA rejects Haftar's truce, says does not trust his offer Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) has rejected a ceasefire unilaterally declared by the country's renegade General Khalifa Haftar a day earlier, saying it does not him.
- UAE delegation visits Sudan to recruit mercs for Libya rebel commander: Report Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- A high-ranking delegation from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) – a sponsor of Libyan rebels under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar – has reportedly visited Sudan to recruit militants to fight against the internationally-recognized government in Tripoli.
- Libya's GNA Continues Fighting LNA Forces Despite Haftar Declaring Ceasefire Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- The Government of National Accord (GNA), one of the two major factions in the Libyan armed conflict, on Thursday declined to suspend fighting following the Libyan National Army, led by Marshal Khalifa Haftar, declaring a temporary truce amid the holy month of Ramadan.
- Libya: Haftar Freezes Skhirat Agreement, What's Next? Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- Libyan National Army Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar on Monday announced a withdrawal from the political agreement that led to the formation of the Government of National Accord (GNA). He said the country was coming under the control of the army. Meanwhile, the GNA has called on members of parliament in the east of the country to back it.
- Haftar's LNA Announces Ceasefire in Libya During Holy Month of Ramadan Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) headed by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar will cease hostilities during the holy month of Ramadan, which started on 24 April, LNA spokesman Major General Ahmad Mismari said.
- Turkey censures Haftar for seeking 'military dictatorship' in Libya Press TV 29 Apr 2020 -- Turkey says it will defend the internationally recognized government of Libya against the 'military dictatorship' planned by renegade General Khalifa Haftar, who has claimed to have a "mandate" to rule the African country.
- General Haftar seeking to stage new coup in Libya, GNA warns Press TV 28 Apr 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) says renegade General Khalifa Haftar is seeking to stage a new coup against the government after he claimed to have a "mandate" from the Libyans to govern.
- Libyan strongman dismisses UN unity pact, vows to form own govt. Press TV 28 Apr 2020 -- Libya's renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar has dismissed a 2015 United Nations-brokered unity accord for the war-ravaged country as "a thing of the past," vowing to establish a new government under his rule.
- France Says Libyan Conflict Can Only Be Resolved Through UN-Backed Dialogue Between Parties Sputnik 28 Apr 2020 -- The statement follows military commander Khalifa Haftar's announcement that he had assumed control of the eastern-based civilian authorities and had a popular mandate to govern Libya.
- Russian FM Source Says Moscow 'Surprised' at Haftar's Claims of LNA's Control Over Libya Sputnik 28 Apr 2020 -- Russia finds surprising the claims by Libyan National Army (LNA) commander, Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, that the LNA assumes leadership over the country, and keeps insisting that the crisis cannot be solved militarily, a source in the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
- EU calls for Ramadan truce in Libya Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- Major European Union (EU) countries have called for a humanitarian truce in Libya during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
- Nearly 10,000 Syria militants recruited by Turkey so far to fight in Libya; over 220 killed in action: SOHR Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has recruited nearly 10,000 allied Takfiri militants to fight in Libya and has sent more than half of them from Syria to the North African country, a war monitor says.
- Haftar's Army Accuses GNA of Shelling Civilians Outside Tripoli as EU Renews Call for Ceasefire Sputnik 25 Apr 2020 -- It's been over a year since the Tobruk government-backed forces of the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Marshal Khalifa Haftar began their offensive on the Government of National Accord (GNA) capital, with the civil war entering a new phase in January when Turkey sent troops to the country to shore up the GNA's defence of Tripoli.
- Libya's UN-recognized GNA forces launch 'offensive' against Haftar's militia south of Tripoli Press TV 23 Apr 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) says its forces have launched an offensive against rebel militia loyal to renegade general Khalifa Haftar in southern parts of capital Tripoli.
- Intensifying shelling and COVID-19 pandemic creates 'perfect storm' in Libya UN News 23 Apr 2020 -- In Libya, ongoing heavy fighting has raised concerns yet further, about the likely devastating impact of the new coronavirus on people there, particularly those repeatedly forced to flee violence.
- German Cabinet Agrees Plan to Deploy Up to 300 Troops to Uphold Arms Embargo on Libya Sputnik 22 Apr 2020 -- The German cabinet agreed on Wednesday to send up to 300 troops to patrol the waters off the coast of Libya as part of the new EU mission to stop arms smuggling, the government spokesman said.
- Libya's UN-recognized GNA forces down UAE combat drone Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) says its forces have managed to down a United Arab Emirates (UAE) combat drone in the skies of the northern parts of the country.
- Libyan army advances near key rebel stronghold Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Libyan government forces have advanced near a key stronghold of rebel militia under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar on the outskirts of the capital, Tripoli.
- Libya war opens new ground for Israeli-Arab connivance Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- As the UN and international humanitarian organizations are urgently calling for a halt in violence in Libya, Israel is providing arms and training to loyalists of renegade General Khalifa Haftar.
- UN Libya mission 'alarmed' by rise in violence, slams rebel shelling of Tripoli Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- The United Nations mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has censured the rising violence in the North African country, expressing alarm about a fresh round of clashes raging through areas on the outskirts of the capital, Tripoli.
- Libya's GNA says no more talks with Haftar Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- The Prime Minister of Libya's UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) says he would not negotiate with renegade General Khalifa Haftar over a political solution to the Libyan conflict due to the "crimes" he has committed.
- Libya government forces score major gains against rebels Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- Government forces in Libya have made major gains against armed rebels under the command of renegade commander Khalifa Haftar, capturing seven cities and towns.
- Libya's unity govt recaptures two strategic cities from Haftar forces Press TV 13 Apr 2020 -- Forces with Libya's internationally-recognized government say they have taken control of two coastal cities between Tripoli and the Tunisian border from forces under the command of renegade General Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya's GNA Claims Control Over Sabratha City West of Tripoli - Spokesman Sputnik 13 Apr 2020 -- Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) forces have taken control over the city of Sabratha, located to the west of the country's capital city of Tripoli, and are continuing the offensive, Mohamed Gnounou, the GNA military spokesman, said on Monday.
- UAE buys Israeli missile system for Libya rebels: Report Press TV 12 Apr 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has paid the Israeli regime to deliver an advanced anti-aircraft missile system to the Libyan rebels under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar, a report says.
- Enemy of My Enemy? Israel Sells Missile System to UAE for Haftar's Libyan National Army - Report Sputnik 12 Apr 2020 -- The war-torn nation of Libya, which descended into a foreign-backed civil war in 2011 after NATO warplanes helped rebels topple Muammar Gaddafi, has faced a major escalation of fighting in the past year as Marshal Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA) attempts a final push to drive the Government of National Accord (GNA) out of Tripoli.
- Turkey dispatches some 300 allied Takfiri militants from Syria to Libya: SOHR Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has reportedly sent new batches of allied Takfiri militants from Syria to Libya, following a bill passed by the parliament earlier this year that allows the Ankara government to deploy forces to the North African country to intervene in the civil war.
- Libya rebels claim to have downed two Turkish drones Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- Rebel militia under the command of Libya's renegade general Khalifa Haftar claim to have shot down two Turkish drones in the skies over the North African country.
- Libya government forces say Emirati drones supporting rebels Press TV 07 Apr 2020 -- Government forces in Libya say Emirati drones have carried out two airstrikes in support of Libyan rebels near the city of Sirte.
- Libya War Escalates as Health Care System Crumbles VOA 07 Apr 2020 -- Minutes after the explosion on Monday, doctors and other witnesses started circulating videos online. Another hospital compound in Tripoli had been hit.
- Libyan government forces down rebel cargo plane near Tripoli Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- Libyan government forces have shot down a cargo plane operated by rebel forces near the capital, Tripoli.
- Libya's GNA Accuses LNA of Violating Peace Deal During COVID-19 Crisis Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- The Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) has accused the Libyan National Army (LNA) of violating a ceasefire deal during the coronavirus pandemic, adding that the GNA was ready to cease hostilities in Libya in response to calls by the United Nations and members of the European Union.
- Libyan forces shoot down 3 Sukhoi fighter jets operated by rebels: Report Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- Libyan government forces have reportedly shot down three Sukhoi fighter jets operated by rebel forces under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar.
- Coronavirus, Conflict Threaten Thousands of Refugees, Migrants Detained in Libya VOA 04 Apr 2020 -- The U.N. refugee agency warns thousands of refugees and migrants detained in sub-standard facilities in Libya are threatened by COVID-19 and the ongoing conflict in the country, and should be released.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list