Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- UN-Mediated Political Talks on Libya End in Disarray VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- U.N.-mediated political talks aimed at resolving the crisis in Libya have ended in disarray, with nothing accomplished except an agreement to meet again next month.
- Libya's rival government says force cannot end blockade on eastern oil fields Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- Libya's eastern-based rival government says a blockade on oil ports and fields in the country's east was imposed based on a "popular decision," and that the internationally recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) could not force eastern tribesmen to put an end to it.
- Russia says Turkey helping foreign militants enter Libya Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- Russia says Turkey is helping foreign militants cross into Libya, where rebel forces are attempting to unseat the internationally-recognized government.
- Erdogan Confirms First Turkish Soldier Deaths in Libya VOA 25 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed Tuesday the deaths of two Turkish soldiers in Libya, where Ankara has military forces in support of the internationally-backed government in Tripoli. Word of the losses comes as the Turkish opposition steps up pressure against Erdogan's Libya policy.
- UN says Libya's warring sides propose ceasefire proposal in Geneva Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- The warring sides in Libya have proposed a draft agreement for ceasefire that could turn a frequently-violated fragile truce into a lasting deal and would see the United Nations monitor the safe return of the displaced people in the country, the UN says.
- Libyan National Army Claims Turkish Arms Making Their Way Into Terrorist Hands Via Misrata Port Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Erdogan confirmed Saturday that "several" Turkish servicemen had been killed fighting Libyan National Army Commander Khalifa Haftar's forces. On Sunday, regional media said as many as 16 Turkish troops and over 100 mercenaries transported to Libya from Syria had died fighting for the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord.
- At least 16 Turkish soldiers killed in fighting in Libya: Haftar forces Press TV 23 Feb 2020 -- Forces loyal to Libyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar say they have killed 16 Turkish soldiers in recent weeks amid ongoing violence in the North African country.
- Turkey confirms presence of allied Syria mercenaries in Libya Press TV 21 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has confirmed for the first time the presence of pro-Turkish Syrian militants in Libya.
- Haftar says any ceasefire depends on Turkey's withdrawal from Libya Press TV 21 Feb 2020 -- Libya's self-styled commander Khalifa Haftar says he would be ready for a ceasefire, on condition that Turkish forces leave the country and Ankara stops providing the country's UN-recognized government with weapons.
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Libya The White House 20 Feb 2020
- Text of a Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 20 Feb 2020
- Libya talks need strong signal to resume: Prime Minister Sarraj Press TV 19 Feb 2020 -- Libya's internationally recognized Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj has ruled out the resumption of peace talks aimed at finding a solution to the crisis in the country unless there is a "strong signal" from all international players.
- Libya's Tripoli Government to Quit UN Talks with Haftar Forces VOA 19 Feb 2020 -- Libya's Tripoli-based, U.N.-backed "national unity" government says that it has suspended talks with forces under the command of General Khalifa Haftar, following an attack by Haftar's forces on the port of Tripoli Tuesday, which targeted a ship reportedly carrying weapons from Turkey.
- Libya rebels claim to have 'destroyed' Turkish cargo ship in Tripoli Press TV 18 Feb 2020 -- Armed rebels under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar in Libya claim they have destroyed a Turkish cargo ship carrying ammunition and weapons at the port of Tripoli.
- Turkey Denies Destruction of Its Vessel in Port of Tripoli Sputnik 18 Feb 2020 -- Ankara previously deployed military advisors and instructors to Libya to support the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) against the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Khalifa Haftar.
- No Accusations, Only Facts: GNA Buys Turkish Mercenaries With Oil Money – Libya's Interim Gov't FM Sputnik 18 Feb 2020 -- A tentative truce between Libya's two warring parties came into force on 12 January, and both sides appeared to show a willingness to agree on a ceasefire during the Russia and Turkey mediated talks in Moscow. Still, the matter remains unresolved.
- Europe's New Libya Mission Draws Criticism VOA 18 Feb 2020 -- European Union foreign ministers agreed Monday to launch a revamped mission to try to monitor and enforce an international weapons embargo on warn-torn Libya. After meeting European counterparts, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas announced naval assets would be deployed to the Mediterranean to help enforce the ban.
- UN Says Libyan Rival Forces Resume Talks to Save Cease-Fire VOA 18 Feb 2020 -- A second round of U.N.-brokered talks aimed at achieving a cease-fire between the rival governments in Libya has resumed in Geneva, with the chief U.N. mediator expressing hope of making progress.
- As Libya talks resume in Geneva, UN negotiator seeks to overcome sticking points UN News 18 Feb 2020 -- Talks to end fighting in Libya have resumed in Geneva, where UN negotiator Ghassan Salamé said that ongoing clashes must end for there to be a chance for progress.
- Intra-Libyan Joint Military Commission Resuming Its Meeting in Geneva Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- The Intra-Libyan Joint Military Commission is resuming its meeting in Geneva on 18 February, the UN said in a statement.
- FM Says Greece Ready to Join EU's New Mission for Enforcing Libya Arms Embargo Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- Greece is ready to take part in the new European mission in the Mediterranean for controlling the arms embargo on Libya, Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias said on Monday, following the meeting of the Foreign Affairs Council of the European Union.
- Libya's LNA-Backed Interim Government Accuses Turkey of Aggression and 'Seeking to Conquer Country' Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- Ankara has accused Libyan National Army Commander Khalifa Haftar of violating the Libyan ceasefire, and has deployed troops and mercenaries to the country to shore up the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord.
- Kremlin Refutes Claims That There Are Russian Troops in Libya Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- Last week, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in an interview with the broadcaster NTV that "Russia is currently managing the war there [in Libya] at the highest level".
- Situation in Libya deeply troubling, UN warns Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- A United Nations (UN) official has warned that the situation in Libya is "deeply troubling," a fragile ceasefire in the crisis-hit country has seen dozens of violations, and a UN arms embargo imposed on the country has become a "joke."
- UN Adopts Cease-Fire Resolution For Libya As Russia Abstains RFE/RL 13 Feb 2020 -- The UN Security Council has adopted a resolution calling for a "lasting cease-fire" in war-torn Libya, as Russia abstained from the vote following its objections to the language of the text.
- Libya's cities left 're-contaminated' by months of fighting, warn landmine clearance experts UN News 12 Feb 2020 -- Ongoing hostilities in Libya have left numerous cities severely "re-contaminated" with unexploded ordnance, threatening schools, universities and hospitals, the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.
- Libya: Security Council demands commitment to 'a lasting ceasefire' UN News 12 Feb 2020 -- After what has reportedly been weeks of diplomatic negotiation, the UN Security Council passed a resolution on Wednesday aimed at stemming rising violence across Libya, demanding the warring parties commit to "a lasting ceasefire" according to terms agreed by military representatives from both sides at recent talks in Geneva.
- Lasting Libya ceasefire: Some consensus, but further talks needed - UN Mission UN News 08 Feb 2020 -- The first round of UN-brokered talks between military representatives in Geneva aimed at forging a lasting ceasefire between Libyan Government and main opposition forces, has concluded without full agreement, despite reaching consensus in many areas.
- Russia objects to UN draft resolution on Libya Press TV 06 Feb 2020 -- Russia has blocked a United Nations Security Council draft resolution on the Libyan conflict, insisting that any foreign militants in Libya be labeled "foreign terrorist fighters," not just "mercenaries," as the draft text proposed.
- 'Convergence' over lasting Libya ceasefire, as negotiator urges against 'provocative' acts UN News 06 Feb 2020 -- On day four of UN-led talks to transform an uncertain truce in Libya into a permanent ceasefire, veteran negotiator Ghassan Salamé on Thursday welcomed the "progress" that had been made so far, before urging an end to any "provocative" military action that might dash the chance of a successful outcome.
- UN chief says fighting has escalated in Libya Press TV 05 Feb 2020 -- United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has expressed deep frustration with the situation in Libya, where he says fighting has escalated.
- Libya rivals agree to ceasefire in principle, UN envoy says Press TV 04 Feb 2020 -- The United Nations (UN) envoy for Libya says the warring sides in the North African country have agreed in principle to transform a shaky truce into a permanent ceasefire.
- Both sides in Libya conflict agree need for lasting ceasefire: UN negotiator UN News 04 Feb 2020 -- The UN negotiator leading talks in Geneva to secure an end to fighting in Libya said on Tuesday that high-ranking officials from both sides of the conflict have agreed on the need for a "permanent and lasting" ceasefire to replace an uncertain truce.
- Military Talks to End Libya Fighting Underway VOA 04 Feb 2020 -- U.N.-sponsored military and security talks aimed at achieving a lasting cease-fire in Libya are underway in Geneva. The negotiations are held as Libya's warring parties continue to violate a temporary truce agreed to in mid-January.
- Libya's UN-backed govt. mobilizes troops toward Haftar-controlled Sirte Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed government has mobilized its troops toward the strategic city of Sirte, which is controlled by warlord Khalifa Haftar's forces.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list