Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2019 - Libya Special Weapons News
- UN envoy warns of 'escalation' in Libya conflict Press TV 31 Dec 2019 -- The United Nations envoy to Libya says military deals between Turkey and the UN-backed Libyan government represent the escalation of conflict in the North African country.
- Turkish government sending Libya deployment bill to parliament despite opposition's rejection Press TV 30 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish government is sending to parliament a bill mandating troop deployment to Libya despite the opposition's rejection, three days after Ankara announced the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) had officially requested military support from Turkey.
- Request to Use Military in Libya May Be Submitted to Turkish Parliament on Monday- Reports Sputnik 28 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish government's request for using the country's armed forces in Libya is likely to be submitted to the parliament on Monday, media reported on Saturday.
- Turkey says Libya risks 'sliding into chaos' Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, whose country is preparing for troop deployment to Libya, says the prolongation of the Libyan conflict could plunge the North African country into "chaos" and turn it into another Syria.
- Libya's eastern government rejects security deal with Turkey Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- Libya's eastern-based administration has rejected a security deal between the UN-backed government and Turkey, saying plans by Ankara to deploy troops to the North African country would be seen as a form of unwanted intervention.
- Continued airstrikes in western Libya 'utterly unacceptable', says UN mission chief UN News 29 Dec 2019 -- The top United Nations official in Libya has condemned recent airstrikes targeting civilian installations that left at least three people dead and several others injured.
- Libya requested military support from Turkey: Erdogan's aide Press TV 28 Dec 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's communications director says Tripoli has asked for Ankara's military aid, stressing his country's commitment to agreements signed with the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Italian Prime Minister Says Introduction of No-Fly Zone Over Libya Could End Conflict Sputnik 28 Dec 2019 -- The Libyan crisis could be settled by introducing a no-fly zone over Libya as an option, but not through military intervention, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said on Saturday.
- LNA Says Set for Major Tripoli Battles After Taking Control of Roads to Capital's Airport Sputnik 28 Dec 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) announced on Friday that it had taken control of roads leading to the Tripoli airport and was set for major battles for main areas of the Libyan capital.
- 'Russia Rejects Deployment of Turkish Troops to Libya' Peskov teleSUR 27 Dec 2019 -- The Kremlin warns that a foreign military intervention may be the worst option to achieve peace in Libya.
- Four reasons why Turkey backs the UN-recognised Libyan government TRT World 27 Dec 2019 -- Ankara responds to Tripoli's request for military assistance as warlord Khalifa Haftar continues to pose a threat.
- Turkey To Send Troops To Libya Amid Warnings From Russia RFE/RL 27 Dec 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country will send troops to Libya at Tripoli's request as soon as January, a move that could put them face-to-face with Kremlin-linked mercenaries allegedly fighting in the troubled North African country.
- Turkish Defence Ministry Says Fully Prepared to Deploy Troops to Libya - Reports Sputnik 27 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish Armed Forces are ready to be deployed to Libya if necessary, media reported on Friday, citing National Defence Ministry Spokeswoman Nadide Sebnem Aktop.
- White House: Trump, Egypt's Sisi in Phone Call Agree Urgent Steps Needed to Resolve Libya Conflict Sputnik 27 Dec 2019 -- US President Donald Trump and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi agreed during a Thursday phone that they reject "foreign exploitation" in Libya and that the involved parties must take "urgent steps" to resolve the conflict, according to the White House.
- Libya's Government of National Accord Officially Requests Turkey's Military Aid Sputnik 26 Dec 2019 -- The office of Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) officially requested Turkey's military aid.
- Arab League Warns Foreign Interference Will Only Prolong Libyan Crisis Sputnik 26 Dec 2019 -- Foreign interference in Libya's affairs will only prolong the internal conflict and add to the suffering of Libyan people, the League of Arab States (LAS) said on Thursday, amid the Turkish president's plans to get a mandate to send troops to the conflict-hit country.
- Eastern-Based Libyan Administration Calls Turkey's Offer of Troops to GNA 'Provocation' Sputnik 26 Dec 2019 -- The spokesman for the speaker of Libya's eastern-based parliament has called Turkey's offer to send troops to the aid of the rival Government of National Accord a ploy to sow discord among eastern forces.
- Russia Opposes Meddling in Libyan Affairs as Turkey Vows to Send Troops to Conflict-Torn Country Sputnik 26 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish leader approved earlier in the day the memorandum on military cooperation with the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), recently ratified by the Turkish parliament. Erdogan has said that Turkey may send its troops to Libya if the GNA makes such a request.
- Haftar's Army Accuses Turkey of Smuggling Daesh, Nusra Terrorists to Libya Via Tunisia Sputnik 26 Dec 2019 -- Turkey smuggles Syria-based militants from Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (formerly known as Al-Nusra Front), and Daesh* to Libya via Tunisia, the Libyan National Army (LNA) spokesman told Egypt's El-Watan newspaper on Wednesday.
- Erdogan Claims Turkey Still Ready to Send Troops to Libya Amid Surprise Visit to Tunisia Sputnik 25 Dec 2019 -- On 21 December, the Turkish parliament ratified an agreement on military cooperation signed with Libya's Tripoli-based government. Erdogan has mentioned the possibility of sending Turkish troops to Libya if Tripoli makes a request.
- Turkish Agreements with GNA Not Ratified by Parliament and Therefore Have No Validity - Libyan Envoy Sputnik 25 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish parliament has ratified a memorandum on military cooperation that was signed with Libya last month. The agreement has been ratified by the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA). Under the agreement, Libya could receive military aid from Ankara.
- Turkish parliament drafting bill to authorize troop deployment to Libya Press TV 24 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish parliament is considering authorizing troop deployment to war-torn Libya, where anti-government militias have seized a Turkish ship, Ankara has announced.
- Turkish Parliament May Consider Use of Armed Forces in Libya - Erdogan's Representative Sputnik 24 Dec 2019 -- Turkish Parliament can consider and possibly agree to use the country's armed forces in Libya, following an agreement on military cooperation, Ibrahim Kalin, the press secretary of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said.
- Haftar's forces capture Turkish ship after defense pact signed by Libya rivals Press TV 22 Dec 2019 -- Eastern forces loyal to Libya's self-styled commander Khalifa Haftar have seized a Turkish ship shortly after Turkey's parliament approved a defense pact in support of his rival in the North African country's civil war.
- Libyan National Army Says Ship With Turkish Crew on Board Detained Off Libyan Coast Sputnik 22 Dec 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) forces seized a ship with a Turkish crew off the Libyan coast, the LNA's press service said on Sunday.
- Situation in Libya US Dept. of State 21 Dec 2019 -- The United States is concerned by the Government of National Accord's request for military support, and by the LNA's threat to use foreign-supplied air assets and mercenaries to attack Misrata.
- Moscow Worried Over Turkey's Military Cooperation With Libya's GNA - Source Sputnik 20 Dec 2019 -- Moscow is largely concerned over Turkey's possible deployment of troops to Libya and over Ankara's military cooperation agreement with Libya's internationally-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA), a source in the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- Turkish Troops, Snipers Fighting in Libya's GNA Ranks in Tripoli - LNA Military Source Sputnik 20 Dec 2019 -- Turkish snipers and storm groups are fighting in the ranks of Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) in the capital of Tripoli, a military source in the rival Libyan National Army (LNA) said.
- Tripoli-Based Unity Government Calls for Turkish Intervention in Libya, as Haftar's Forces Bomb Opposition VOA 20 Dec 2019 -- The Libyan national unity government based in Tripoli is asking Turkey, the U.S. and several European countries to defend the government, as forces loyal to eastern military commander General Khalifa Haftar called on militias fighting in Tripoli and Misratat to lay down their arms.
- Libyan National Army Warns of Strikes if GNA Militias Don't Evacuate Tripoli, Sirte in 72 Hours Sputnik 20 Dec 2019 -- Tripoli has faced months of intense fighting between the Government of National Accord (GNA) and the Libyan National Army (LNA), with the two competing factions emerging in the aftermath of a NATO-led bombing campaign which helped to topple Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
- UN: Libya in Total Disarray as Violence, Terror and Abuse Grow VOA 20 Dec 2019 -- The United Nations human rights office warns conditions in Libya have seriously deteriorated over the past year as civilian war casualties multiply and rampant, gross violations of human rights escalate, pervading every aspect of Libyan society.
- Libyan National Army Makes 'Excellent Progress' in Battle For Tripoli - LNA Spokesman Sputnik 18 Dec 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) is making significant advances in the capital city of Tripoli and causing heavy casualties among the military ranks of the Government of National Accord (GNA), LNA information officer Al-Mundhir Al-Khartoush stated on Wednesday.
- Turkey plans to set up military base in Libya: Local media Press TV 17 Dec 2019 -- Turkey is planning to establish a military base in Libya aimed at providing greater support for the Tripoli-based unity Government of National Accord (GNA) in the wake of a military deal signed between the two sides last month.
- Erdogan, Putin Hold More Discussions on Libya VOA 17 Dec 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke Tuesday with Russian President Vladimir Putin about Libya as Ankara prepares for the possible deployment of soldiers to the war-torn country.
- Ankara sends maritime deal with Libya to parliament for approval Press TV 15 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish government has sent to the parliament the text of a military agreement it reached with Libya's internationally-recognized government for approval, moving closer to military support for the Tripoli-based unity Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Libya's GNA Says Qatar Confirmed Its Support Amid Fresh Assault on Tripoli Sputnik 15 Dec 2019 -- The Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) of Fayez Sarraj said on Saturday that Qatar has confirmed its support for GNA and restated its position against the operation of the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar.
- Fighting Stalls After 'Final Assault' on Tripoli Fails to End War VOA 15 Dec 2019 -- Libya has two governments. They are at war with each other and both have TV news channels.
- Libya's High Council of State Slams Egypt for Spurning UN-Backed Government Sputnik 15 Dec 2019 -- Libya's High Council of State advising the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord slammed Egypt on Saturday for denying it recognition in favour of its eastern-based rival.
- Opposition Forces Advance Around Tripoli VOA 14 Dec 2019 -- Libya's eastern military commander, General Khalifa Hafter, who began a fresh push to try to capture Tripoli during the past several days, was reported Saturday to have advanced in and around the city.
- Haftar announces 'decisive battle' to take Libyan capital Press TV 13 Dec 2019 -- Libya's self-styled commander Khalifa Haftar has announced a "decisive battle" for the capital Tripoli, eight months after he launched an offensive to wrest it from the unity government.
- LNA's Haftar Announces Start of Final Operation to Take Over Tripoli Sputnik 12 Dec 2019 -- East Libya's Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar announced the start of the Libyan National Army's final offensive to gain control over rival Government of National Accord-held Tripoli.
- Bogged down near Tripoli, Haftar's militia now seek to take on Turkey, too Press TV 10 Dec 2019 -- A commander with Libyan militia groups headed by renegade general Khalifa Haftar says he has "orders" to destroy any Turkish vessel near war-torn Libya, hours after Turkey and the internationally-recognized government of Libya began implementing agreements on maritime boundaries and military cooperation.
- Greece irate as Turkey, Libya enforce maritime, military accords Press TV 10 Dec 2019 -- Turkey and Libya have begun implementing agreements on maritime boundaries and military cooperation, drawing an angry reaction from Greece which views the accords as a violation of its sovereign rights.
- Libyan Presidential Council Member Says Ankara-Tripoli Deal Spurred by Maritime Border Violations Sputnik 10 Dec 2019 -- The memorandum between Turkey and the Tripoli-based Libyan Government of National Accord is a response to a similar agreement between Greece and Egypt, and violations of Libyan maritime borders by other countries, Amna Umm Tahir, a member of the UN-recognized Presidential Council, said on Tuesday.
- Turkey Can Send Troops to Libya If Tripoli Asks for Assistance - Erdogan Sputnik 10 Dec 2019 -- In late November, Turkey and the Tripoli-based Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) signed a memorandum on maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea, prompting an outcry from several countries in the region. Meanwhile, the chairman of the Tobruk-based Libyan parliament, Aguila Saleh Issa, called the document illegal.
- Erdogan: Turkey Ready to Send Troops to Libya If Asked VOA 10 Dec 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he is ready to deploy soldiers to Libya following the announcement of a security agreement with the Libyan government. Ankara has been actively seeking to project its influence across the Mediterranean as a scramble intensifies for the region's energy resources.
- Libyan National Army Confirms Saturday Jet Crash, Says Caused by Technical Malfunction Sputnik 08 Dec 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) has confirmed that its fighter jet crashed within the Government of National Accord's (GNA) territory after completing its combat mission and that the reason behind the crash was a technical malfunction, according to a statement by the LNA general headquarters obtained by Sputnik.
- US Military Claims American Drone Was Downed by Russian Air Defences Near Libya Last Month - Report Sputnik 07 Dec 2019 -- Moscow hasn't yet commented on the incident, but the American military claims that a UAV was hit by either Russian contractors, or by the Haftar-led Libyan National Army (LNA.)
- Russia downed American drone in Libya last month: US Army Press TV 07 Dec 2019 -- The US military claims that Russian air defenses shot down an American drone over the Libyan capital last month, demanding Moscow return the aircraft's wreckage.
- Haftar's Jet Downing Proves Tripoli Fall Won't Happen – Libyan Minister Sputnik 07 Dec 2019 -- The downing of a fighter jet belonging to Khalifa Haftar's forces proves that his army will not be able to take the Libyan capital, a foreign minister in the Government of National Accord stated.
- External Meddling in Libyan War Grows, New Types of Arms Come to Country - UN Envoy Sputnik 07 Dec 2019 -- External interference in the Libya war is growing with new kinds of weapons arriving in the country, UN Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the Support Mission in Libya Ghassan Salame said.
- Libya's El Feel Oil Field Suspends Work Over Instability - National Oil Corporation Sputnik 05 Dec 2019 -- The Libyan National Oil Corporation (NOC) said on Thursday that El Feel oil field in the country's southwest had been temporarily closed again due to the unstable security situation in the area.
- Clashes Break Out Near Presidential Palace in Libyan Capital - Reports Sputnik 04 Dec 2019 -- Clashes broke out in the vicinity of the presidential building in Libya's capital between forces of the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) and armed groups, Saudi news outlet Al Arabiya reported Wednesday citing sources.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list