Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2019 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Another US Airstrike in Libya Targets IS Fighters VOA 30 Sep 2019 -- A U.S. airstrike in Libya has killed seven Islamic State fighters, according to U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM).
- Third US Strike in Libya Targets Islamic State Terror Group VOA 27 Sep 2019 -- A U.S. airstrike Thursday in Libya has killed 17 Islamic State fighters, according to U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM).
- US airstrike in southern Libya kills 17 people Press TV 27 Sep 2019 -- At least 17 people have been killed in a US airstrike in southern Libya in the third such air raid in the North African state in a little more than a week.
- Libya's PM says rebel general 'not a partner for peace' Press TV 26 Sep 2019 -- Libya's Prime Minister Fayez al-Serraj has ruled out any more peace talks with renegade general Khalifa Haftar, who is commanding an offensive on the capital, denouncing him as a "war criminal."
- Libyan National Army Says Destroyed Turkish Drone at Tripoli's Airport Sputnik 26 Sep 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar said on Thursday that it had destroyed a Turkish drone at Tripoli's Mitiga airport.
- US Airstrike in Libya Kills 11 IS Fighters VOA 25 Sep 2019 -- An airstrike Tuesday on an Islamic State target in Libya killed 11 IS fighters, the U.S. military said.
- UNGA 2019: Qatar, Egypt leaders butt heads over Libya Press TV 25 Sep 2019 -- The leaders of Egypt and Qatar have traded accusations of backing rival groups in Libya, during their speeches at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- UN Warns Libya Moving Toward Full-Scale Civil War VOA 25 Sep 2019 -- The United Nations warns escalating violence and a deepening humanitarian crisis in Libya is pushing the country closer toward a return to the full-scale civil war that overthrew former dictator, Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
- Libya's UN-backed government launches airstrikes on east-based army People's Daily 18 Sep 2019 -- Libya's UN-backed government on Tuesday said that it has launched airstrikes on the rival eastern-based army in southern Tripoli.
- East Libyan forces carry out airstrikes on central Sirte city Press TV 16 Sep 2019 -- Eastern Libyan forces have conducted airstrikes against positions in the central city of Sirte held by the Government of National Accord (GNA), amid rising tensions in the North African country.
- Haftar Troops Repulse Attack of GNA Forces South of Tripoli - Libyan National Army Sputnik 12 Sep 2019 -- Troops loyal to Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar have repelled an offensive launched by the Government of National Accord (GNA) south of the city of Tripoli, a spokesman for the Libyan National Army's (LNA) 73rd Infantry Brigade, Mundhir Kartoush, has stated.
- Haftar Forces Suffer Losses as GNA Troops Advance South of Tripoli, GNA Spokesman Says Sputnik 09 Sep 2019 -- The troops of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) have made advances south of the city of Tripoli, making the Libyan National Army (LNA) loyal to Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar suffer losses, GNA military spokesman, Muhammad Kanunu said on Monday.
- Libyan government slams 'hostile' UAE for hosting rebel Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Libya's internationally-recognized government has criticized the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for hosting a member of renegade Libyan general Khalifa Haftar's forces, denouncing the Arab country's position as "hostile."
- Haftar wants guns to speak, claims offensive in final phases Press TV 08 Sep 2019 -- Forces under the command of Libya's renegade general, Khalifa Haftar, have rejected a UN call to return to the negotiating table, saying war is the best way to resolve the conflict.
- Libyans continue 'spilling their blood on the battlefield' as fight for Tripoli rages on UN News 04 Sep 2019 -- It is five months to the day since the forces of the self-styled Libyan National Army launched an offensive to seize control of Tripoli, halting "an active and promising political process", the United Nations top envoy for the country told the Security Council on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list