Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2019 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Deadly airstrikes and drone hits displace thousands of civilians in Libya oasis town UN News 20 Aug 2019 -- Intensifying clashes in the southern Libyan town of Murzuq involving air and drone strikes in recent days have left at least 90 people dead and displaced thousands of "terrified" civilians, the UN said on Tuesday.
- Scores of Civilians Killed, Injured in Libyan Oasis Town VOA 20 Aug 2019 -- The United Nations reports the small oasis town of Murzuq in southwestern Libya has suffered one of the largest losses of civilian life this month since civil war broke out in 2011 following the overthrow of former Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
- Haftar's Forces Say Hit Hangar With Turkish Drones in Western Libya Sputnik 16 Aug 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar on Friday struck a hangar with Turkish drones and ammunition near the town of Abu Kammash in the west of the country, according to the media center of the LNA's Karama Operations Room.
- Haftar Army Targeted Turkish Drones When Attacking Zuwara Airport Thursday - Spokesman Sputnik 15 Aug 2019 -- Airstrikes on Libya's Zuwara International Airport that were carried out by the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, were aimed at Turkish unmanned aerial vehicles, LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari said in a statement obtained by Sputnik.
- 'Palpable reduction' in violence following Eid truce says Libya Mission, as UN investigates deadly bombing which left 3 staff dead UN News 14 Aug 2019 -- A UN call for a humanitarian truce over this week's Eid al-Adha religious holiday led to a "palpable reduction" of violence around the embattled capital of Tripoli, the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said in a statement released on Wednesday.
- France, Italy, UAE, UK, US, Call on Conflicting Sides in Libya for Immediate Ceasefire Sputnik 12 Aug 2019 -- The United States, the United Kingdom, France, Italy and the United Arab Emirates issued a joint statement in connection with the situation in Libya and called on the conflicting sides for an immediate ceasefire and the investigation into the recent attack in Benghazi, which had resulted in the deaths of three UN employees.
- Joint Statement by the Governments of France, Italy, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States on the Truce in Libya US Dept. of State 11 Aug 2019 -- The following is the text of a joint statement by the governments of France, Italy, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- UN Security Council Meeting Convened Over Situation in Libya Sputnik 10 Aug 2019-- A UNSC source said earlier that France was planning to call a UN Security Council meeting after two UN staff were killed in an explosion in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.
- Libya's National Accord Government Commits to Truce for Eid Al-Adha Holiday Sputnik 10 Aug 2019-- The Presidential Council of Libya's Government of the National Accord announced a truce for the period of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, it said in a statement.
- Three UN workers killed following Benghazi car bomb attack, as Security Council meets in emergency session, honours their 'ultimate sacrifice' UN News 10 Aug 2019-- Secretary-General António Guterres on Saturday condemned a car bomb attack in front of a shopping mall in the Libyan city of Benghazi, which left three UN workers dead, and three others injured, with dozens of civilians also wounded.
- Car Bomb Kills 3 UN Staffers in Libya as Cease-Fire Deal Is Reached VOA 10 Aug 2019-- At least three U.N. staff members were killed Saturday when a car bomb exploded in Benghazi, Libya, a U.N. spokesman said.
- Libya's LNA Forces Strike Misrata's Air College - Reports Sputnik 06 Aug 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar struck Misrata's air college early on Tuesday, according to media reports.
- Haftar's airstrike in southern Libya kills 43, injures dozens Press TV 05 Aug 2019 -- Dozens of people have been killed in a drone strike carried out by forces loyal to Libyan renegade general Khalifa Haftar in the southwestern part of the African country, local officials say.
- Air Strike on Libyan Town of Murzuq Kills More Than 30 People - Reports Sputnik 05 Aug 2019 -- Earlier, Libya's Mitiga airport, the only functioning airport in Tripoli, suspended air traffic after it was subject to an artillery bombardment.
- Libya's Mitiga Airport Suspends Air Traffic Following Shelling - Airport Authority Sputnik 03 Aug 2019 -- Mitiga is the only functioning airport in Tripoli, Libya's capital, and has been targeted by the Libyan National Army, commanded by General Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya's GNA govt. protests at 'untruths' in UN report Press TV 01 Aug 2019 -- The Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) has protested at UN envoy Ghassan Salame's latest report to the United Nations Security Council on the ongoing conflict in the North African country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list