Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2019 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Exclusive: Libyan GNA Sarajj Says Will Not Stop Military Op Until LNA Withdraws to Pre-War Positions Sputnik 30 Jul 2019 -- The forces of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) will not stop military operations until troops of their rival Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, are withdrawn to their pre-war positions, GNA head Fayez Sarraj said.
- Tripoli International Airport Under Fire, Flights Redirected - Officials Sputnik 29 Jul 2019 -- Mitiga International Airport in the Libyan capital of Tripoli came under fire on Monday as passengers were boarding a flight operated by a local airline, which was set to fly to the Tunisian city of Sfax, the airport authorities said in a statement.
- Libyan National Army Begins 2nd Phase of Tripoli Offensive – Lawmaker Sputnik 29 Jul 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, has begun the second stage of the offensive on the Libyan capital of Tripoli, Ali Qaidi, a member of the country's Tobruk-based parliament, said on Monday.
- Libyan GNA Accuses Haftar-Led Army of Conducting Airstrike on Field Hospital Near Tripoli Sputnik 29 Jul 2019 -- The Government of National Accord (GNA) has accused the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, of carrying out an airstrike on a field hospital in Tripoli, which left five doctors dead.
- With Libyans now 'fighting the wars of others' inside their own country, UN envoy urges Security Council action to end violence UN News 29 Jul 2019 -- Fighting in Libya "shows no signs of abating", the head of the United Nations Support Mission (UNSMIL), told the Security Council on Monday, painting a grim picture of worsening humanitarian conditions, and warning that the instability and influx of foreign weapons is fueling a proxy war in the north African country.
- UN Calls for Eid Truce in Libya VOA 29 Jul 2019 -- The top U.N. official for Libya has called for a truce during the upcoming Eid al-Adha religious holiday, saying the fighting in that country needs to end before it "grows into a full-blown civil war."
- Libya's Haftar says victory imminent despite repeated fails Press TV 25 Jul 2019 -- Renegade Libyan general Khalifa Haftar has claimed that his forces will "soon" capture the capital, Tripoli, even as they have been unable to advance for almost the entire duration of their offensive.
- Libyan National Army Head Pledges to Soon 'Raise Banner of Victory' Over Tripoli Sputnik 25 Jul 2019 -- Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, the commander of the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA), said that his forces would soon raise the victory banner over the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
- Exclusive: Haftar Army Has No Intention of Controlling Tripoli or Libya by Force – Libyan Interim Govt. FM Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- The Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Interim Libyan Government of Eastern Libya, Abdul Hadi Al-Hweij, has spoken about the ongoing Haftar army's operation to gain control over Tripoli and the situation in Libya an exclusive interview to Sputnik in Benghazi.
- Libya: Renewed commitment to Mediterranean rescues encouraging, but 'overriding priority' must be 'lasting peace', say UN officials UN News 23 Jul 2019 -- The heads of the two key UN agencies championing refugees and migrants have called for an end to their "arbitrary detention" across Libya, following an agreement on Tuesday by European Union countries to offer those fleeing across the Mediterranean a safe berth through a new distribution mechanism.
- Fully-Armed Libyan Warplane Lands on Highway in Neighbouring Country Sputnik 22 Jul 2019 -- Libya, which descended into civil war after a NATO-backed insurrection toppled long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, has faced intense fighting around the city of Tripoli between the Government of National Accord and the Libyan National Army in recent months.
- Haftar forces preparing for new push to capture Tripoli: Report Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- Libya's UN-recognized government says forces loyal to strongman General Khalifa Haftar appear to be preparing for a new offensive to capture the capital city Tripoli.
- Joint Statement on Hostilities in Tripoli US Dept. of State 16 Jul 2019 -- The text of the following statement on Libya was released by the Governments of Egypt, France, Italy, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- In aftermath of Libya airstrike deaths, UN officials call for refugees and migrants to be freed from detention UN News 12 Jul 2019 -- "As a priority, we ask that 5,600 refugees and migrants currently held in centres across Libya be freed in an orderly manner and their protection guaranteed" the UN refugee and migrants chiefs said in a joint statement, released on Friday.
- France admits missiles found in rebel general's base are its Press TV 11 Jul 2019 -- France has confirmed that missiles seized last month from forces loyal to Libyan renegade general Khalifa Haftar belonged to the French military.
- Libyan National Army Says Successfully Concluded 1st Stage of Tripoli Offensive Sputnik 11 Jul 2019 -- The eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, has successfully completed the first stage of its operation to capture the Libyan capital of Tripoli, Gen. Ali Saleh Qahtani, the commander of the 73rd infantry brigade of the LNA main command, told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Libyan National Army Jets Strike GNA Forces in Garyan in Bid to Retake City - Reports Sputnik 10 Jul 2019 -- The Libyan National Army's (LNA) Air Force has attacked the forces of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in the city of Garyan, southwest of Tripoli, local media reported on Wednesday.
- Migrants, Stuck in Libya, Demand Evacuation as Conflict Escalates VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- "We don't need to eat," said a young man held in a Libyan detention center five days after the compound was bombed killing more than 50 people and injuring at least 130. "We didn't touch the food. We need to be out of Libya."
- Turkish president urges end to Haftar's 'unlawful attacks' in Libya Press TV 06 Jul 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called for an end to "unlawful attacks" by militiamen loyal to the renegade commander of the self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA), Khalifa Haftar.
- Foundation Linked To Russian Troll Farm Says Two Employees Detained In Libya RFE/RL 05 Jul 2019 -- A Moscow organization with links to the notorious Russian "troll farm" said two of its employees have been arrested by Libyan authorities, and one news report said they were accused of trying to influence upcoming elections there.
- UN Security Council Calls for Ceasefire in Libya as Death Toll Rises Sputnik 06 Jul 2019 -- The UN Security Council said in a Friday statement that it is calling for an immediate ceasefire in Libya's capital city of Tripoli amid an increase in the number of those killed following an airstrike on the Tajoura migrant detention centre.
- UN accuses Libyan guards of shooting refugees fleeing Tripoli airstrikes Press TV 05 Jul 2019 -- "There are reports that following the first impact, some refugees and migrants were fired upon by guards as they tried to escape," said the OCHA report, which came a day after UN authorities emphasized that the airstrikes -- by renegade Libyan General Khalifa Haftar – may have constituted a war crime.
- Putin blames NATO for destruction of Libya, warns about flow of terrorists from Syria Press TV 05 Jul 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says the US-led NATO military alliance is to blame for the destruction of Libya, warning that the situation there was deteriorating as more and more militants are moving from Syria into the North African country.
- Turkish President Erdogan Urges Haftar to Stop Attacks in Libya - Report Sputnik 05 Jul 2019 -- Last Saturday, Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, who leads the Libyan National Army (LNA), threatened to attack Turkish assets in the country for allegedly supporting the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Six children among 53 confirmed fatalities after Libya detention centre airstrikes: Security Council condemns attack UN News 05 Jul 2019 -- The toll from Tuesday's reported airstrikes on a detention centre in the suburbs of Tripoli has risen to 53 dead and more than 130 injured among the "severely traumatized" surviving migrants and refugees, UN aid agencies said on Friday, reiterating their appeal to close all such facilities in the embattled country.
- UN: Release All Refugees, Migrants from Libyan Detention Centers VOA 05 Jul 2019 -- United Nations agencies are calling for the release of all refugees and migrants from Libyan detention centers. The call comes in the wake of the deadly airstrike July 2 on the Tajoura detention center, on the outskirts of the capital, Tripoli.
- Libyan National Army Downs Rival GNA Warplane – Statement Sputnik 05 Jul 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA), headed by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, on Thursday downed a warplane belonging to forces loyal to the Government of National Accord (GNA), the LNA press service claimed.
- UN chief "outraged" by attacks on Libyan detention center People's Daily 04 Jul 2019 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is "outraged" by the overnight airstrikes that hit a detention center east of Tripoli, the capital of Libya, his spokesman said on Wednesday.
- UN envoy slams EU blindness to plight of migrants in Libya after strikes on detention center Press TV 04 Jul 2019 -- The UN has lambasted the EU's "blindness" on the plight of refugees in Libya, urging a rethink of returning Europe-bound migrants intercepted at the Mediterranean to the North African country.
- Libya's Eastern Forces Deny Targeting Civilians VOA 04 Jul 2019 -- A spokesman for one of Libya's two rival armies has denied targeting civilians after an airstrike blamed on the armed group killed as many as 55 people in Tripoli on Tuesday night.
- Deadly Libya Bombing May Be War Crime VOA 03 Jul 2019 -- The bombing in Libya's capital that killed at least 44 people, with some reports saying as many as 55, and injured more than 130 on Tuesday night may amount to a war crime, according to a United Nations envoy in Tripoli.
- Death Toll Climbs in Libya Bombing VOA 03 Jul 2019 -- The United Nations says at least 44 people were killed and more than 130 wounded in the airstrike late Tuesday that hit a migrant detention camp outside the Libyan capital.
- 40 killed, 80 injured as airstrike hits migrant detention facility in Libya Press TV 03 Jul 2019 -- Forty people have lost their lives and 80 others sustained injuries when an airstrike struck a detention facility for illegal migrants in a eastern suburb of the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
- Air Traffic Resumes at Tripoli's Mitiga Airport After Libya Air Strike - Report Sputnik 03 Jul 2019 -- Mitiga International Airport, in the Libyan capital of Tripoli, has been a frequent target of attacks amid an ongoing military conflict in the country.
- Air Strike Hits Migrant Detention Facility in Libya's Tripoli - Report Sputnik 03 Jul 2019 -- An air strike late on Tuesday hit a detention facility for migrants in the Tajoura suburb of the Libyan capital of Tripoli, Reuters reported, citing an official at the targeted location.
- Libya detention centre airstrike could amount to a war crime says UN, as Guterres calls for independent investigation UN News 03 Jul 2019 -- An airstrike on a detention centre in Tripoli that killed scores of migrants and refugees "deserves more than condemnation", UN agencies said on Wednesday, as both the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and the head of the UN mission in Libya (UNSMIL), insisted that it may amount to a war crime.
- Haftar's forces down Turkish drone, arrest Turks Press TV 01 Jul 2019 -- A Turkish drone has been downed in Tripoli and two Turkish nationals arrested by forces loyal to Libyan renegade General Khalifa Haftar after the two sides exchanged severe warnings.
- Six Turkish Citizens Detained By Haftar's Forces in Libya Released - Reports Sputnik 01 Jul 2019 -- Six Turkish citizens who have been detained in Libya by forces loyal to Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, the head of the Libyan National Army (LNA), have been released, CNN Turk broadcaster reported on Monday.
- Libyan Parliament Speaker Announces General Mobilisation Amid Turkey's Threats - Reports Sputnik 01 Jul 2019 -- President of the Libyan House of Representatives Aguila Saleh Issa late on Sunday declared a general mobilisation in the country amid Turkey's recent threats against the Libyan National Army (LNA) headed by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, local media reported.
- Libya Tensions Escalate After Tripoli Takes Key Strategic Town VOA 01 Jul 2019 -- The day after the battle for the Libyan town of Gharyan, burnt-out cars were flipped on the side of the highway and only a few shop owners opened their doors to see if they could do business.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list