Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2019 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Turkey vows 'heavy price' in case of any aggression by Libya's Haftar Press TV 30 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar says Ankara will retaliate against any attack by militia fighting for renegade Libyan General Khalifa Haftar, who has ordered to target Turkish interests in Libya.
- Libya's GNA forces seize US missiles at captured Haftar base Press TV 30 Jun 2019 -- Military officials with Libya's internationally-recognized government say they have seized sophisticated US missiles and weaponry at a base they captured from forces allied to renegade General Khalifa Haftar in the south of the capital, Tripoli.
- Haftar Threatens to Target Turkish Ships, Assets in Libya - Reports Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Earlier in the week, forces loyal to the Government of National Accord (GNA) announced that they had managed to break up Haftar's months-long advancement towards Tripoli and recapture the town of Gharyan.
- Libyan National Army Says Closed Skies for Tripoli-Bound Turkish Civilian Planes Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The eastern Libyan National Army (LNA) has been ordered to close the country's skies for Tripoli-bound Turkish civilian planes, the LNA spokesman, Ahmed Mismari, said, accusing Turkey of supporting the forces loyal to the western Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Haftar's Libyan National Army Says Shot Down Drone of National Accord Government Forces Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar said on Friday that its air defence had shot down a drone launched by the forces of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) near Tripoli.
- Haftar orders forces to attack Turkish ships, interests in Libya Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Libya's strongman Khalifa Haftar has ordered his forces to attack Turkish ships and interests in the North African state, his spokesman said Friday, accusing Ankara of supporting Haftar's rivals in the Libyan conflict.
- Libya's National Accord Gov't Recaptures City of Garyan South of Tripoli – Haftar's Army Sputnik 27 Jun 2019 -- The forces loyal to the UN-backed Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) entered the city of Garyan to the south of Tripoli, Gen. Mounzer Khartoush, a spokesman of the 73rd infantry brigade of the main command of the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, said on Thursday.
- LNA Deploys More Troops to Tripoli's Vicinity for Final Offensive Sputnik 26 Jun 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar has deployed two additional troops units for a final offensive on Libya's capital, Tripoli, the LNA said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Libyan Forces Claim to Take Key Town From Rival Army VOA 26 Jun 2019 -- Forces loyal to Libya's internationally recognized government claim they have seized a key town south of Tripoli from forces from a rival eastern-based government.
- Haftar Vows to Create Constitutional Committee If LNA Captures Tripoli - Report Sputnik 20 Jun 2019 -- Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, the commander of the eastern Libyan National Army (LNA), said that if his forces capture Tripoli, they will set up of a committee tasked with rewriting the country's constitution, as well as unifying state institutions and disarming all militias.
- Libyan National Found Guilty of Terrorism Charges in 2012 Attack on U.S. Facilities in Benghazi US Dept. of Justice 17 Jun 2019 -- Mustafa al-Imam, a Libyan national approximately 48 years old, was found guilty of terrorism charges for his participation in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. Special Mission and Annex in Benghazi, Libya. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and U.S. government personnel Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty died in the attack at the Mission and the nearby Annex in Benghazi.
- Head of Eastern Libyan Government Describes GNA Idea to Hold Peace Conference as Act of Despair Sputnik 17 Jun 2019 -- Abdullah Thinni, prime minister of the government based in eastern Libya, called the initiative of the head of Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez Sarraj, to call a national reconciliation conference an "act of despair."
- No peace talks before seizing Libyan capital: Haftar allies Press TV 13 Jun 2019 -- The speaker of east Libya's parliament, which is aligned with troops trying to seize capital Tripoli from the UN-backed government, says there could be no peace negotiations until they captured the city.
- UN Security Council extends arms embargo on Libya for another year Press TV 10 Jun 2019 -- The United Nations (UN) Security Council has once again authorized a European Union mission to combat illegal arms transfers to Libya and implement an arms embargo on the conflict-ridden North African country.
- Libya's migrants and refugees with tuberculosis 'left to die' in detention centres UN News 07 Jun 2019 -- Migrants and refugees suffering from tuberculosis are being left "effectively to die" in a Libyan detention centre south of Tripoli, the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said on Friday, citing reports that those returned to shore by the coastguard have been disappeared or sold to traffickers.
- Daesh Claims Responsibility For Two Car Bombs at Libya's Eastern Forces Camp - Report Sputnik 07 Jun 2019 -- At least 18 people were wounded in two car bomb explosions on Sunday that targeted a military unit in Libya's eastern coastal city of Derna, Reuters reported.
- Haftar-Led Libyan Army Says Destroyed Drone at Tripoli's Mitiga Airport Sputnik 06 Jun 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar on Thursday destroyed a drone that carried out several airstrikes on the outskirts of Tripoli, at the city's Mitiga International Airport, the LNA General Command's press service director Khalifa Obeidi announced.
- Military Jet Targets Libya Intl Airport in Tripoli - Statement Sputnik 06 Jun 2019 -- The Mitiga International Airport in the Libyan capital of Tripoli said on Thursday its runway had been struck by a military airplane amid a recent wave of escalation in the area.
- Libyan National Army Says Repelled Attack of GNA Forces on Tripoli Airport Sputnik 03 Jun 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) repelled the offensive of the forces of the Government of National Accord (GNA) on Tripoli airport, the LNA General Command press service director Khalifa Obeidi said on Monday.
- At Least 18 People Injured in Two Blasts Near LNA HQ in Derna – Reports Sputnik 02 Jun 2019 -- At least 18 people were injured after two bomb-laden cars exploded in Libya's eastern city of Derna, local media reported Sunday citing medics.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list