Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2018 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Haftar's forces say 'captured' Libya's Derna Press TV 29 Jun 2018 -- Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar has announced the liberation of the city of Derna from the al-Qaeda-linked militants.
- Ahmed Abu Khatallah Sentenced to 22 Years in Prison for September 2012 Attack in Benghazi, Libya US Dept. of Justice 27 Jun 2018 -- Ahmed Abu Khatallah, aka Ahmed Mukatallah, 47, a Libyan national, was sentenced today to 22 years in prison on federal terrorism charges and other offenses stemming from the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist attack on the U.S. Special Mission in Benghazi, Libya. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and U.S. government personnel Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty died in the attack at the Mission and the nearby Annex in Benghazi.
- Joint Statement on Libyan Oil Facilities US Dept. of State 27 Jun 2018 -- The text of the following statement on Libya was released by the Governments of the United States of America, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
- Libya's Government of National Accord says there is only one legitimate oil company Press TV 26 Jun 2018 -- The UN-backed government in Libya has warned that any attempt by a rival administration in the east to export oil independently will be thwarted.
- Libya's Haftar forces say recaptured two key oil export terminals Press TV 21 Jun 2018 -- Forces loyal to Libya's military strongman general Khalifa Haftar say they have managed to recapture two main oil export terminals in the northeast of the country from rival militia forces.
- Libyan Haftar-Led Forces Retook Sidr, Ras Lanuf Ports From Militants - Reports Sputnik 21 Jun 2018 -- The Libyan army led by military commander Khalifa Haftar liberated the oil ports of Sidr and Ras Lanuf on the Mediterranean coast from armed militants, the Sky News Arabia TV channel reported, citing the army spokesman Ahmed Mismari.
- Attacks on Libyan Oil Ports US Dept. of State 20 Jun 2018
- Bomb attack kills 4 members loyal to Libya's Haftar Press TV 20 Jun 2018 -- Four members of security forces loyal to Libya's eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar have been killed in the city of Derna after an attacker drove his booby-trapped vehicle toward a group of soldiers.
- Libya oil output cut by half due to fierce fighting Press TV 20 Jun 2018 -- A series of fierce clashes between rival armed groups in eastern Libya's key oil export ports has caused output to drop by nearly half, the head of Libya's National Oil Company (NOC) says.
- Spotlight: Terror attacks target oil region in Libya, posing new military escalation People's Daily 15 Jun 2018 -- Remnants of terrorist groups on Thursday carried out a new attack on the oil crescent region in Libya and clashed with the forces of the eastern-based army, posing a new military escalation in a vital location that contain major oil fields and ports.
- Analysts Doubt Derna Capture Will End Extremism in E. Libya VOA 14 Jun 2018 -- Forces loyal to General Khalifa Haftar and his self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) are poised to capture the last remaining city outside of their control in eastern Libya, after weeks of heavy fighting, bombardment and airstrikes, and after years of siege.
- Haftar forces almost fully control Libya's Derna: LNA spokesman Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA), which is opposed to the country's internationally-recognized government, says it is in the final stages of a battle to fully take the control of the city of Derna in eastern Libya.
- As Security Council imposes sanctions on 6 human traffickers in Libya, UN chief calls for more accountability UN News 08 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has called for more accountability for human traffickers in Libya, after the UN Security Council on Thursday added six individuals accused of leading smuggling and trafficking networks in the country, to its Sanctions List.
- Libyan National Army Destroys Militants' Arms Depots in Derna Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- The Air Force of the Libyan National Army (LNA) headed by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar has carried out airstrikes on militants from the Shura Council of Mujahideen in Derna, destroying their arms depots, LNA spokesman Khalifa Obeidi told Sputnik.
- UNHCR raises alarm over deadly detention centre escape in Libya UN News 01 Jun 2018 -- More than a dozen people have been killed or wounded by traffickers as they attempted to flee a detention centre in Libya last month, the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, said on Friday, describing it as the "latest horror story" to emerge from the war-torn country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list