Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2017 - Libya Special Weapons News
- INTERVIEW: Preparing for Tripoli, new UN envoy in Libya seeks to work with Libyans UN News 28 Jul 2017 -- Set to arrive in Libya next week, the new United Nations Special Representative said that he was coming to Tripoli to work with the Libyans, in an attempt to help find a solution out of the political crisis that led to the fall of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 and pushed the country into a crisis that sees thousands of migrants and refugees fleeing to Europe and other countries in Africa.
- Libyan Dialogue and Joint Declaration US Dept. of State 28 Jul 2017
- UN Security Council urges all Libyans to support calls for national reconciliation UN News 27 Jul 2017 -- The United Nations Security Council today welcomed the Joint Declaration issued after a meeting between two Libyan political figures and urged all Libyans to support its calls for a negotiated political solution, national reconciliation, and an immediate ceasefire.
- Italy Loses Patience With France's Macron Over Migrants, Libya VOA 26 Jul 2017 -- In the first flush of enthusiasm for France's Emmanuel Macron, the fresh young politician who upended French politics and snatched his country's presidency this year, Italian politicians were no different from European counterparts in seeing him as a JFK-type figure who'd help Europe overcome major challenges – from Brexit to the migrant crisis.
- Macron: Libya Elections May Take Place in Spring 2018 Sputnik 25 Jul 2017 -- French President Emmanuel Macron said stated that Prime Minister of the Libyan Government of National Accord Fayez Sarraj and Libyan National Army (LNA) Commander Khalifa Haftar agreed during a meeting in France on a plan to take Libya out of crisis.
- Libya National Accord Government, National Army Agree on Security Plan Sputnik 25 Jul 2017 -- Prime Minister of the Libyan Government of National Accord Fayez Sarraj and Libyan National Army (LNA) Commander Khalifa Haftar decided to create a roadmap on the issues of security and defense of the Libyan territory from threats and trafficking of all kinds.
- Libyan Factions Agree to Cease-fire Deal VOA 25 Jul 2017 -- Both sides in the Libyan conflict agreed to the terms of a cease-fire agreement Tuesday during talks mediated by French President Emmanuel Macron.
- UN human rights body urges east Libya army to probe summary executions Press TV 18 Jul 2017 -- The United Nations human rights body has called for the Libyan National Army (LNA) to probe summary executions of prisoners in the eastern parts of North African's country.
- Libya's Sarraj Warns Against 'Liberation of Tripoli', Wants Dialogue With Rivals Sputnik 17 Jul 2017 -- The prime minister of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), Fayez Sarraj, has outlined his views on the situation in the war-torn country and the ways to resolve the crisis in an interview with Sputnik.
- Libya's UN-backed government urges nationwide polls in March Press TV 16 Jul 2017 -- Head of Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) has called on all political groups and armed factions in the country to endorse nationwide elections next year, an initiative that is expected to stumble amid widening differences between rival camps of power.
- Libya's General Haftar in UAE for talks on military 'cooperation' Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- Libya's eastern commander Khalifa Haftar has met with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) leaders for talks on military cooperation despite UN criticism of the Persian Gulf country's meddling in Libya's internal affairs.
- Liberation of Benghazi Ruins Foreign Plans for Libya's Partition - National Army Sputnik 07 Jul 2017 -- Ahmed Mismari, spokesman of the Libyan National Army, stated that the victory in Benghazi was an issue of great importance for all Libyans.
- General Haftar says Benghazi 'liberated' from rival militia Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- Powerful Libyan General Khalifah Haftar says his forces have "liberated" the city of Benghazi after pushing out rivaling militia from its eastern parts.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list