Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2017 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libya: UN ramps up cooperation to help hundreds of thousands of desperate refugees and migrants UN News 30 May 2017 -- Two United Nations agencies today pledged to join forces and "go the extra mile" by expanding operations in Libya and enhancing their support to migrants, refugees, asylum seekers and Libyans affected by the ongoing conflict.
- Libya's Derna bombarded again: Witnesses Press TV 29 May 2017 -- Warplanes have reportedly launched airstrikes on the Libyan city of Derna, days after Egyptian jets pounded alleged terrorist training camps in the city.
- Libyan Militant Group Ansar Al-Sharia Says It Is Disbanding RFE/RL 28 May 2017 -- The Libyan Ansar al-Sharia militant group, linked to Al-Qaeda and blamed for the 2012 Benghazi attack that killed the U.S. ambassador, says it is formally dissolving itself.
- Libyan Parliament Supports Egypt's Airstrikes on Libya's Territory Sputnik 28 May 2017 -- Egypt carried out airstrikes against the positions of the Daesh on Libya's territory in coordination with the Libyan armed forces and with support of the Tobruk-based parliament of Libya, according to Abdallah Bilhaq, the spokesman of the Libyan parliament.
- Clashes between rival Libyan factions kill 28, injure 128 in Tripoli Press TV 27 May 2017 -- At least 28 people have been killed and over 128 injured during fresh clashes in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, between forces loyal to the UN-backed unity government and rival militiamen.
- Manchester Bombing, Massacre in Egypt Trigger Intense Fighting in Libya VOA 27 May 2017 -- When suicide bomber Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old British-Libyan, triggered his bomb packed with nuts and bolts Monday in Manchester, he not only brought Libya's civil war to the streets of Britain, he may well have wrecked the chances of a peace deal being struck between rival governments and their militia backers in the strife-torn North African state.
- Egypt conducts airstrikes against terrorist training camps in Libya: State TV Press TV 26 May 2017 -- The Egyptian military has carried out several airstrikes against purported terrorist training camps in Libya after unknown gunmen attacked a bus carrying Coptic Christians south of the Egyptian capital Cairo, leaving at least 28 dead.
- Egypt Hits Militant Bases in Libya After Attack on Copts VOA 26 May 2017 -- Egypt answered a bloody machine-gun attack that killed dozens of Coptic Christians Friday with airstrikes on "terror bases" in Libya where the militant Islamist gunmen were believed to have trained.
- Libya: UN envoy calls on rival groups to immediately halt violence in Tripoli UN News 26 May 2017 -- Condemning the surging violence in Tripoli, the top United Nations official in Libya called today for an immediate end to fighting in and around the capital and for rival groups to "put Libyan national interests" ahead of their own.
- UN refugee agency ramps up response as Libya's humanitarian crisis deepens UN News 22 May 2017 -- Conflict, insecurity, political instability and a collapsing economy have contributed to the deteriorating humanitarian crisis in Libya, prompting the United Nations refugee agency to announce plans to step-up its presence and programmes there.
- Libya: UN chief urges all sides to restore calm in aftermath of deadly attack on southern airbase UN News 20 May 2017 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres is deeply concerned about the military escalation at the Brak al-Shati air base in southern Libya and calls on all parties to exercise restraint and restore calm, the UN chief's spokesman said today.
- Over 140 people, mostly troopers, killed in southern Libya airbase attack Press TV 20 May 2017 -- More than 140 people, mostly soldiers, have been killed at an airbase in southern Libya after militiamen, loyal to the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), allegedly launched an attack against the base.
- Putin Says Hope Exists for Restoring Peace in Libya, Russia Ready to Help Sputnik 17 May 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday there is hope for establishing peace in the Libya and Moscow is ready to contribute to the process of settlement in the crisis-torn state.
- Political Unity in Libya One Step Closer as General Haftar Named New Army Chief Sputnik 11 May 2017 -- Libya's Foreign Minister Mohammed Siyala, has named Khalifa Haftar, the long-time opponent of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) and the chief of the self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA), as the head of the country's military on the condition that he recognize the UN-backed GNA as the sole governing authority.
- Libyan Military Forces Liberate Port in Benghazi From Al-Qaeda Terrorists Sputnik 08 May 2017 -- The Libyan military forces have liberated a port in the eastern city of Benghazi from the terrorists of the al-Qaeda terrorist group, Sky News Arabia reported Monday, citing army's statement.
- From Civil War to Civil Rule: Libya's Army, PM Take Steps Towards National Unity Sputnik 05 May 2017 -- Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj of the Government of National Accord of Libya and Commander of the Libyan National Army Khalifa Haftar have agreed to create a presidential state council and hold early presidential and parliamentary elections in the country in six months, according to the Arab satellite channel Al-Hadath.
- Libya rivals agree to find solution to conflict Press TV 03 May 2017 -- The head of Libya's UN-backed unity government and a rival military commander have agreed to find a solution to the country's six-year-old conflict.
- Libyan Rivals Reach Agreement on Political Unification Sputnik 03 May 2017 -- Fayez al-Sarraj, the head of Libya's UN-backed government, has met with his rival Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar in the United Arab Emirates. It has been reported as a rare, but highly anticipated meeting between the leaders from the two rival Libyan factions.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list