Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2017 - Libya Special Weapons News
- US Underestimated Number of Daesh Fighters in Sirte Libya's Last Year Sputnik 24 Mar 2017 -- The US military probably underestimated the number of Daesh terrorists near Libya's Sirte and overestimated the number of civilians, the AFRICOM chief said.
- 'We can no longer turn our backs' on communities affected by migration crisis in Libya - UN agency chief UN News 23 Mar 2017 -- The top United Nations migration official is visiting Tripoli to discuss the complex migration and displacement situation with hopes of shoring up technical support to foster a stable environment.
- Libyan National Army Launches Operation Against Military Gangs Sputnik 22 Mar 2017 -- The self-styled Libyan National Army has launched an offensive against illegal armed groups on the south of the country.
- Put Libya ahead of 'narrow interests,' UN envoy urges as situation worsens across the country UN News 20 Mar 2017 -- Warning of escalating tension across the North African country due to mobilization of forces, worsening security situation in capital, Tripoli, as well as recent violence in Misrata and Benghazi, the United Nations envoy for Libya today called on all parties to unite and to put the country ahead of their "own narrow interests."
- Libya unity government, rival factions agree ceasefire after Tripoli battle Press TV 16 Mar 2017 -- Libya's unity government and rival armed groups in Tripoli have signed a ceasefire deal, ending fierce fighting for the control of the capital.
- Libya's unity govt. forces overrun rival militia HQ in Tripoli Press TV 15 Mar 2017 -- Forces loyal to Libya's unity government have overrun the headquarters of a rival militia following three days of fierce fighting in the capital, Tripoli.
- Reports of Russian Military on Libyan-Egyptian Border 'Untrue' - Libyan Army Sputnik 15 Mar 2017 -- Media reports of Russian military specialists allegedly deployed in Egypt near the border with Libya are not true, Libyan army's spokesman Col. Ahmed Mismari told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- East Libyan forces launch offensive, seize oil terminals Press TV 14 Mar 2017 -- East Libyan forces have regained control of two major oil ports of Ras Lanuf and al-Sidra from a rival faction that seized them earlier this month.
- Russia rejects reports of troop deployment near Libyan border Press TV 14 Mar 2017 -- Russia has categorically dismissed Western media reports claiming it deployed special forces to an Egyptian town near conflict-ridden Libya.
- Reuters: Russia Apparently Deploys Forces Near Libyan Border In Egypt RFE/RL 14 Mar 2017 -- The Reuters news agency reports that Russia appears to have deployed special forces to an air base near the Libyan border in Egypt.
- Libyan Army Establishes Control Over Ras Lanuf, As Sidr Cities Sputnik 14 Mar 2017 -- The Libyan government troops drove on Tuesday the militants from the northern country's port cities of Ras Lanuf and As Sidr.
- Libyan Army Gains Control Over Ras Lanuf Airport - Reports Sputnik 14 Mar 2017 -- Libyan government troops have gained control over Ras Lanuf Airport in Libya as part of a campaign to retake oil fields, Arab media reported Tuesday.
- Libya Ready to Implement Arms Contracts With Russia Reached Under Gaddafi Sputnik 14 Mar 2017 -- The Libyan government in the country's east is ready to implement the contracts with Russia on arms supplies reached under former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, Libya's House of Representatives Chairman Aguila Saleh Issa told Sputnik.
- UN rights wing urges calm, protection of civilians amid hostilities in eastern Libya UN News 14 Mar 2017 -- Raising alarm over reports of serious human rights and humanitarian law violations and abuses stemming from recent fighting in eastern Libya's oil crescent area, the United Nations human rights arm has called on all parties to ensure that civilians are protected and that the situation is de-escalated.
- Libyan Parliamentarian Blames UK, Italy for Attacks on Oil Fields in the East Sputnik 09 Mar 2017 -- On Tuesday, the Libyan parliament situated in the country's eastern city of Tobruk voted to withdraw from a unity government agreement following the attacks on the country's main oil-production area in the east. Parliamentarian Tarik al-Jarushi told Sputnik Arabic which European countries were behind these attacks and why.
- Libyan Fighters Say They Aim to Take Benghazi VOA 06 Mar 2017 -- Militias in Libya who recently captured two key oil terminals around Benghazi say they want to extend their fight to try to capture the entire city of Benghazi.
- Armed groups fighting over Libya's 'oil crescent' Press TV 05 Mar 2017 -- Armed forces based in Libya's east have deployed extra troops in preparation for a counterattack to regain control of the oil-rich areas recently lost to militias.
- Armed militias attack Libyan oil facilities Press TV 04 Mar 2017 -- An armed group has attacked two strategic oil terminals in Libya in a fresh attempt to gain a grip over the export of the country's economic lifeblood in its eastern Oil Crescent.
- Russia says ready to broker talks for unity in Libya Press TV 03 Mar 2017 -- Russia says it is ready to broker talks between rival authorities in Libya to help unify the divided North African country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list