Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2017 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Head of US Africa Command: Rival Libyan Factions Must Work Together VOA 23 Feb 2017 -- The commander of the United States Africa Command – which oversees military operations across Africa – has told VOA that the only way to peace in Libya is by bringing together rival governments. General Thomas Waldhauser made the remarks at the recent Munich Security Conference, ahead of Operation Flintlock, a joint military exercise being hosted by seven African nations.
- European Border Officials Paint Grim Libyan Picture VOA 21 Feb 2017 -- A bleak assessment by European border officials of the turmoil in Libya is casting doubt on the prospects for European Union efforts to work more closely with authorities in the strife-torn country to curb migration flows across the Mediterranean.
- Trial of Libyan Gadhafi Regime Members Found Flawed VOA 21 Feb 2017 -- The trial in Libya of Saif al-Islam Gadhafi, the son of former strongman Moammar Gadhafi and 36 other members of his regime, failed to live up to international standards of fairness, a United Nations report said Tuesday.
- Libyan Prime Minister Survives Shelling of Convoy in Tripoli Sputnik 20 Feb 2017 -- Motorcade of Libyan Prime Minister Fayez Serraj was shelled in Tripoli by "armed groups based in the (Rixos) Palaces", according to local media.
- Libyan general slams Europe, US for backing terror Press TV 19 Feb 2017 -- Libyan General Khalifa Haftar has accused several European countries and the United States of supporting terrorist groups in Libya by secretly providing them weapons and training.
- NATO Received Libya's Request for Help in Establishing Defense Institutions Sputnik 16 Feb 2017 -- NATO has received a formal request from Libya for expertise and advice in establishment of defense and security institutions and will consider it, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Thursday.
- UN Alarmed by Reports of Military Forces' Attempts to Derail Libya Peace Process Sputnik 16 Feb 2017 -- UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) head Martin Kobler claimed that formation parallel military forces in Libya could derail peace process in the war-torn country.
- Opinions Differ on EU Deal with Libya to Curb Migration VOA 13 Feb 2017 -- The European Union is touting a plan it says will help Libya curb the number of migrants leaving its shores, but some advocates believe the plan does little more than trap African and Middle Eastern migrants in a war zone.
- Senior UN officials call for close cooperation to address migrant, refugee flows in Libya UN News 10 Feb 2017 -- The heads of the United Nations agencies for human rights, migrants, and refugees, and the UN envoy for Libya, today met in Geneva calling for international solidarity to address the flows of migrants and refugees in the North African country.
- Italy Seeks Russia's Help to Stabilize Libya, End Migrant Crisis VOA 10 Feb 2017 -- From a flimsy rubber dinghy drifting 16 kilometers off Tripoli, the Libyan coast guard rescued more than 100 migrants this week, including a baby just a few weeks old. Close to 9,500 migrants have crossed the Mediterranean already this year – putting 2017 on course to be a record year.
- Libyans must make 2017 the 'year of decisions,' UN envoy tells Security Council UN News 08 Feb 2017 -- Still seeking to implement a political accord signed more than a year ago, Libyans must make 2017 "the year of decisions" and political breakthrough, the United Nations envoy for the North African country urged today.
- EU Leaders Agree Plan To Curb Mass Migration From Libya RFE/RL 03 Feb 2017 -- European Union leaders meeting in Malta have agreed on new steps to curb the flow of migrants across the Mediterranean Sea.
- Migrant Deal With Libya Within Reach VOA 02 Feb 2017 -- A migrant deal between the European Union and Libya seems closer after leaders of the EU institutions met with the Libyan prime minister on Thursday. Details of the deal, proposed by the EU last week, were discussed ahead of Friday's informal EU summit in Malta.
- Secretary General: NATO stands ready to support Libya NATO 01 Feb 2017 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met Libyan Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj on Wednesday (1 February 2017) for talks on the security situation in Libya.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list