Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2017 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libyan forces recapture key Benghazi district Press TV 26 Jan 2017 -- Forces belonging to the so-called Libyan National Army (LNA) say they have taken complete control of a long-contested district in the flashpoint city of Benghazi.
- Suspected Emirati spy killed in Libya Press TV 25 Jan 2017 -- A man from the United Arab Emirates (UAE), who was held in detention on suspicion of spying, has been killed in Libya, Tripoli's state prosecutor says.
- EU Renews Efforts to Limit Migration from Libya VOA 25 Jan 2017 -- The European Union hopes to stop the flow of migrants on the central Mediterranean route by spending more than $214 million to train the Libyan coast guard and fight people smugglers.
- Libya's Neighboring Countries Oppose Foreign Intervention to Resolve Crisis Sputnik 21 Jan 2017 -- Countries-neighbors of Libya supported communique that "rejected any foreign intervention in the internal affairs of Libya," as well as military solution to the crisis, as it could endanger Libya's stability and security.
- Libya, Neighbors Hold Talks in Cairo to End Country's Crisis VOA 21 Jan 2017 -- Rival Libyan leaders met Saturday in Cairo with diplomats from seven neighboring states to discuss forming a new government acceptable to all parties. Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told journalists that further talks would take place in Algeria next week.
- U.S. Airstrikes Kill 80 ISIL Fighters in Libya, Carter Says AFPS 19 Jan 2017 -- The overnight U.S. precision airstrikes on two Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant training camps near Sirte, Libya, are estimated to have killed more than 80 enemy fighters, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today.
- U.S. Strikes Target ISIL Camps in Libya AFPS 19 Jan 2017 -- In conjunction with the Libyan Government of National Accord, the U.S. military conducted precision airstrikes in Libya last night, destroying two Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant camps 28 miles southwest of Sirte, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said.
- Statement By Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Airstrikes in Libya DoD 19 Jan 2017
- US bombers kill over 80 Daesh terrorists in Libya: Pentagon Press TV 19 Jan 2017 -- US B-2 bombers have carried out airstrikes against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group in the North African country of Libya, killing over 80 terrorists, according to Pentagon officials.
- US Military Airstrikes Destroy Two Daesh Camps in Libya - Pentagon Sputnik 19 Jan 2017 -- US B-2 bombers carried out air strikes destroying two Daesh camps southwest of the Libyan city of Sirte overnight, Department of Defense spokesman Peter Cook said in a statement on Thursday.
- East Libya forces take control of Daesh stronghold in Benghazi Press TV 17 Jan 2017 -- Forces loyal to the government in eastern Libya have gained control of one of the last strongholds of Daesh Takfiri terrorists in Benghazi.
- Libya's Dismemberment Begins? Chad Declares Military Operation in Border Region Sputnik 06 Jan 2017 -- On Thursday, the government of Chad announced a military operation along its border with Libya amid threats that Islamist militants from the Libyan city of Sirte may attempt to flee into the central African country, Reuters reports.
- Chad closes border with Libya over threat of terror infiltration Press TV 05 Jan 2017 -- The government in Chad has announced the closure of its border with Libya, citing security reasons and the terrorists' possible infiltration into the Central African country from the south of conflict-stricken Libya.
- Libya: Amid threat of renewed conflict, UN envoy urges restraint UN News 04 Jan 2017 -- Expressing concern at escalating tensions and threat of renewed conflict following developments in central Libya, the United Nations envoy for the country urged all parties to work together on reconciliation and to refrain from any rhetoric that could inflame the situation.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list