Daesh 'desperately' resisting in Sirte as Libya forces advance
Iran Press TV
Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:50PM
A spokesman for the Libyan forces says Daesh is desperately resisting amid the advances of the country's troops in the terrorist group's ex-North African stronghold of Sirte.
Daesh members "are trying desperately to resist up until their last breath," said Rida Issa on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the Libyan forces, mostly from the city of Misrata, announced that they had pushed forward into the last Daesh-held sliver of territory in Sirte and recaptured a number of barricaded houses.
They published footage showing one of their members shouting out through a loudhailer demanding that locals to quit the area.
"All women and children leave now if you want to live, don't miss this chance," he cried, adding, "Let them (militants) go now, there is safe passage, the battle is over."
The Libyan forces further reported that over 30 militants and three Libyan troops have been killed in renewed clashes since Monday.
Daesh took control of Sirte, on the Mediterranean coast, early last year and took advantage of the political chaos in Libya to increase its presence in the country.
Libyan forces launched a military operation in May to retake the city. They managed to enter the city in June and, since then, they have liberated a number of districts.
Sirte's recapture will leave Daesh with no territory in Libya.
The oil-rich North African state has been dominated by violence since a NATO military intervention followed the 2011 uprising that led to the toppling and killing of longtime dictator, Muammar Gaddafi. Rival governments were set up in Tripoli and eastern Libya back in 2014.
Last December, however, the two administrations agreed on forming the Government of National Accord (GNA) after months of UN-brokered talks. The presidential council of the GNA arrived in Tripoli in March in a bid to restore order to the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|