Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2016 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 23 Dec 2016
- Hijackers of Libyan Plane Surrender in Malta VOA 23 Dec 2016 -- The two hijackers aboard a Libyan plane surrendered to police Friday after rerouting the jet to the island of Malta and releasing all hostages on board, said Malta's prime minister, Joseph Muscat.
- Two crew members killed in Libya fighter jet crash Press TV 22 Dec 2016 -- A fighter jet belonging to Libyan pro-government forces in the northwestern city of Tripoli has crashed, leaving its two crew members dead.
- US Africa command ends operation in Daesh bastion in Libya Press TV 21 Dec 2016 -- The US military has formally announced the end of operations in the Libyan city of Sirte following the recent capturing of the coastal city from the clutches of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group (ISIL).
- Liberation of Libyan City Highlights Latest Counter-ISIL Efforts AFPS 19 Dec 2016 -- A campaign by the Government of National Accord in Libya has liberated the city of Sirte, where the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant had sought to establish a stronghold in North Africa, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said today.
- UN urges national reconciliation in Libya Press TV 18 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations has urged the people of Libya to work for "national reconciliation" in the wake of an end to operations for the liberation of Sirte from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Libya officially declares liberation of Sirte from Daesh Press TV 18 Dec 2016 -- Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) has officially announced the end of military operations in the city of Sirte following the recent liberation of the coastal city from the grips of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group.
- Liberation of Tripoli Major Goal of Libyan National Army Sputnik 17 Dec 2016 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) has prepared to launch an offensive against Tripoli where the main forces of Islamic extremists are currently concentrated, LNA spokesman Ahmed al-Mismari told Sputnik. The LNA spokesman underscored that only Libyans themselves can bring an end to the ongoing crisis.
- Political accord's slow implementation has not brought peace and stability Libyans deserve - Ban UN News 17 Dec 2016 -- Marking the one-year anniversary of the signing of the Libyan Political Agreement, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today commended all Libyans who engaged in the "milestone" process, but cautioned that while much progress has been made, "the road to peace is long" and the Libyan people have not yet achieved the stability and security they deserve.
- Libya Against Presence of Foreign Troops on its Territory - Parliament Speaker Sputnik 16 Dec 2016 -- Libya will not agree to allow the presence of foreign military forces on its territory, Aguila Saleh, the speaker of the country's internationally recognized parliament in Tobruk, told Sputnik Friday.
- Libya's Tobruk-Based Parliament to Offer New Roadmap on Political Settlement Sputnik 16 Dec 2016 -- The Tobruk-based Libyan parliament will soon offer a new roadmap on political settlement as it believes the UN-backed Presidential Council has failed to govern the country, Libyan Parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh told Sputnik Friday.
- Libya to Return to Pre-Conflict Oil Output Levels by Mid-2017 Sputnik 16 Dec 2016 -- Libyan oil output will climb back to its normal levels by the middle of 2017, Aguila Saleh, the speaker of the country's internationally recognized parliament in Tobruk, told Sputnik Friday.
- UN human rights report urges end to 'unimaginable abuse' of migrants in Libya UN News 13 Dec 2016 -- A joint report launched today by the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) citied "unimaginable" human rights violations and abuses of migrants in Libya as a result of the breakdown in the crisis-riven country's justice system.
- Worried for the safety of civilians in Libya's Ganfouda, UN envoy calls for a safe passage to allow evacuations UN News 10 Dec 2016 -- Expressing deep concern that civilians remain in Ganfouda area of the Libyan city, Benghazi, despite a unilateral ceasefire announced by the Libyan National Army, the United Nations envoy for the country called on the parties to provide another safe passage to allow for the evacuation of all civilians who wish to leave in a secure and dignified manner.
- Libya: UN envoy welcomes temporary cessation of hostilities for civilian evacuation in Ganfouda UN News 10 Dec 2016 -- Welcoming the announcement of a temporary cessation of hostilities by the Libyan National Army in the Ganfouda area, in the Libyan city of Benghazi, to allow evacuation of civilians, the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Libya called on the parties to the conflict to ensure that civilians are protected.
- Libya: Security Council reaffirms full support for political agreement signed a year ago UN News 08 Dec 2016 -- Expressing deep concern over the serious political polarization resulting in a deterioration of the security, economic and humanitarian situation in Libya, the Security Council today reiterated its support for the United Nations envoy for Libya, who leads efforts in facilitating implementation of the political agreement signed about a year ago.
- Libyan political accord 'stands firm, but stuck' - UN envoy tells Security Council UN News 06 Dec 2016 -- Briefing the Security Council just days ahead of the first anniversary of the Libyan Political Agreement, the United Nations envoy for the north African country highlighted that while there has been progress, the deal has stalled and "much more should have happened."
- Forces loyal to Libyan unity government fully liberate Sirte Press TV 05 Dec 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed government have fully liberated the militant stronghold of Sirte from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists, officials say.
- Daesh Defeat in Sirte Marks New Chapter for Libya Sputnik 05 Dec 2016 -- Libyan forces have announced that after six months of fierce fighting to vanquish Daesh from the coastal city of Sirte, the city has been liberated.
- Libyan Army Seizes Control of the Country, Declares State of Emergency Sputnik 05 Dec 2016 -- In an apparent attempt to restore stability in the beleaguered country, Libyan armed forces have declared a state of emergency, temporarily putting all democratic processes on hold.
- Rival militant groups clash in Tripoli, eight killed Press TV 02 Dec 2016 -- At least eight people have been killed in heavy clashes between rival militant groups in neighborhoods across the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list