Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2016 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Kerry, US Allies Underscore Support for Libya's Unity Government - State Dept. Sputnik 31 Oct 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry and officials from France, Italy, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United Nations underscored their support for increasing the capacity of the Government of National Accord led by Prime Minister al-Sarraj to respond to the needs of the Libyan people, according to official statement.
- Libyan Forces Begin Final Assault on Daesh in Sirte Sputnik 31 Oct 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord have started an offensive against the last Daesh stronghold in the town of Sirte, the operation's press service said Monday.
- Secretary Kerry's Meeting on Libya US Dept. of State 31 Oct 2016
- Libya's Chaos Prompts New US Calls for Action VOA 31 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry spearheaded renewed efforts Monday to bolster Libya's U.N.-backed government against continued chaos and a collapsing economy, but the meeting appeared to yield little more than an expression of support for the embattled Libyan leadership.
- UK maritime personnel train the Libyan Coastguard UK MOD 27 Oct 2016 -- UK Armed Forces personnel will tomorrow begin operations to help train the Libyan Coastguard, the Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has confirmed.
- Tunisia denies hosting US drones for Libya operations Press TV 27 Oct 2016 -- Military officials in Tunisia have rejected claims that the country is hosting a base for US drone operations against the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in neighboring Libya.
- US Deploys Drones to Tunisia for 'Training Operation' - Embassy Sputnik 27 Oct 2016 -- US unmanned aerial systems were deployed to Tunisia for a joint training mission, the spokesman for the US Embassy of Tunisia in Washington, DC, Houssem Abbes, told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Tunisia Denies US' Use of Base to Operate Anti-Daesh Drone Missions in Libya Sputnik 27 Oct 2016 -- Tunisia did not allow the United States to use a base of the national army to operate drone missions against Daesh positions in Libya, Defense Ministry spokesman Belhassen Oueslati told Sputnik on Thursday commenting on recent US media reports.
- Internationally-backed Libyan forces attack Daesh positions in Sirte Press TV 27 Oct 2016 -- Libyan forces have launched a fresh offensive against Daesh positions in the Mediterranean port city of Sirte.
- US secretly using Tunisia airbase for drones spying on Libya: Sources Press TV 26 Oct 2016 -- The US military forces have secretly been using an airbase in Tunisia for drone operations to gather intelligence from inside oil-rich Libya, officials say.
- US Conducts Four Airstrikes Against Daesh Positions in Libya's Sirte Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- US air forces hit five Daesh fighting positions near the Libyan city of Sirte, according to US Africa Command (AFRICOM).
- UN Special Envoy Highlights Importance of Building Unified Libyan Army Sputnik 25 Oct 2016 -- UN secretary-general and head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya said that Building a unified Libyan army is a must in order to build a secure Libya.
- US Conducts Seven Airstrikes Against Daesh Positions in Libya's Sirte Sputnik 24 Oct 2016 -- US forces launched seven airstrikes against the Daesh terrorist group near the city of Sirte in Libya, according to the statement of US Africa Command.
- Libya's GNA forces free 13 foreigners in Sirte Press TV 22 Oct 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed government have managed to release 13 foreigners, most of them female Eritreans, from the captivity of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists in the north of the country.
- US airstrikes in Libya doubled in less than 30 days Press TV 18 Oct 2016 -- The US military has dramatically increased the number of its airstrikes in Libya in less than a month, new data shows, further cementing President Barack Obama's record of taking more military action than any other American president.
- Rival Governments Vie for Control of Libya VOA 17 Oct 2016 -- Tensions reached a boiling point in the Libyan capital Monday, as rival militia groups waged a low-level turf war in a political battle between the U.N.-backed "national unity" government of Fayez al-Sarraj and the unrecognized, Islamist-supported government of Khalifa Ghweil.
- Libyan Former Officials, Militias Attempt Coup in Tripoli Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- A group of former members of Libya's GNC declared themselves in power after taking over the premises previously held by the congress in the country's capital, local media reported.
- Libya: France Accused of Playing Double Game Amid Split in EU Policy Sputnik 11 Oct 2016 -- While there have been calls in recent times for greater EU defense cooperation, concerns are growing over a divide in the union in regards to its policy in Libya, with France accused of undermining international efforts and offering support to both rival governments in the country.
- Libyan forces tighten noose around Daesh in Sirte Press TV 10 Oct 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord continue advancing inside Sirte, as part of a major offensive to liberate the port city from the Daesh terrorists.
- Libya: As situation worsens, UN envoy calls for pause in fighting near Benghazi UN News 06 Oct 2016 -- Expressing deep concern over the plight of civilians caught in the cross-fight in a Benghazi neighbourhood, a senior United Nations official in Libya has called for a humanitarian pause to allow aid to reach those in urgent need and as well as a safe passage for those who wish to leave.
- Pentagon: Airstrikes hit Daesh positions in Libya Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- The Pentagon claims that US military aircraft has struck Daesh positions in the Takfiri group's former stronghold in Sirte, Libya.
- Libyan Military Kill 80 Daesh Militants in City of Sirte Sputnik 03 Oct 2016 -- Libya's military eliminated 80 Daesh militants in the city of Sirte.
- 18 killed in fresh clashes between GNA forces, Daesh in Libya's Sirte Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- At least 18 people have been killed in clashes between Daesh Takfiri terrorists and forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in the coastal city of Sirte.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list