Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2016 - Libya Special Weapons News
- East Libya's General Asks Russia for Weapons, Military Support Against Daesh Sputnik 28 Sep 2016 -- Libya's Gen. Khalifa Haftar, who leads forces loyal to the Tobruk-based Council of Deputies, has requested Russia to end its arms embargo on Libya and begin supplying weapons and military equipment to eastern Libyan forces, a Russian diplomatic source said Wednesday.
- 13 killed as Libya's unity government pushes to retake Sirte from Daesh Press TV 22 Sep 2016 -- At least 13 people have been killed during fresh violent clashes between the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group and forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in the Libyan coastal city of Sirte, medical and military sources say.
- US, Russia Stand Ready to Provide Lethal Aid to Libyan Security Forces Sputnik 22 Sep 2016 -- According to a joint communique released by the US Department of State, United States, Russia and dozens of other countries said they are prepared to provide lethal assistance to Libyan military forces in the fight against the Daesh.
- Joint Communique on Libya US Dept. of State 22 Sep 2016 -- The following is the text of a joint communique on Libya by Algeria, Canada, Chad, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Jordan, Italy, Malta, Morocco, Niger, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sudan, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States, the European Union, United Nations, the League of Arab States, and the African Union.
- Military helicopter crash leaves 8 dead in east Libya: Army Press TV 20 Sep 2016 -- A military chopper has gone down in eastern Libya, with all the eight people on board reported dead.
- Libya's Tobruk-Based Parliament to Move to Benghazi After City's Liberation Sputnik 20 Sep 2016 -- The House of Representatives, Libya's Tobruk-based parliament, plans to move its headquarters to the city of Benghazi after it is freed from terror groups, the parliament's President Aguila Saleh told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- Libya: UN and partners launch appeal for urgent life-saving assistance in a complex emergency UN News 19 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations and humanitarian agencies in Libya today issued an urgent appeal for $10.7 million to meet life-saving emergency assistance for close to 80,000 people located within the Libyan city of Sirte until the end of the year.
- 'Zero Hour is Coming': Libyan Military Surround Daesh in Sirte Sputnik 19 Sep 2016 -- Libyan troops encircled Daesh on a 0.4-square-mile area in the city of Sirte and is preparing to deal the last blow.
- Libyan forces claim control of oil port Press TV 18 Sep 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) have allegedly launched an attack against those of General Khalifa Haftar, a renegade general, claiming to have taken back control of an oil port terminal in the country's so-called oil crescent in the east.
- Libyan Military Repels Militants' Attack on Oil Crescent Sputnik 18 Sep 2016 -- The Tobruk-based government managed to repel an attack by jihadists on an area known as Libya's oil crescent.
- OPCW Working With Libya on Clean-Up After Chemicals' Leak at Storage Site Sputnik 16 Sep 2016 -- The OPCW Technical Secretariat has been working with Libya and other countries to develop a plan for environmental clean-up at the site where the leakage of components for chemical weapons occurred, according to OPWC's spokeswoman.
- EU Operation Sophia Vessels Start Intercepting Arms Smugglers in Libya Sputnik 16 Sep 2016 -- The EU Operation Sophia vessels started to intercept ships in the international waters attempting to import weaponry to Libya in order to enforce UN arms embargo.
- Libya Report Slams British, French Ouster of Gadhafi VOA 15 Sep 2016 -- A group of British lawmakers has strongly criticized the intervention by Britain and France in 2011 that led to the ouster of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
- Libyan intervention based on erroneous assumptions; David Cameron ultimately responsible UK Commons Foreign Affairs Committee 14 Sep 2016 -- The Foreign Affairs Committee has published a report examining the intervention and subsequent collapse of Libya.
- Head of Libya's unity govt. seeks talks after seizure of oil ports Press TV 14 Sep 2016 -- The head of Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) has called for urgent talks in the wake of the seizure of four export terminals in the country's so-called oil crescent in the east by forces loyal to General Khalifa Haftar.
- Western powers urge Haftar forces to withdraw from seized oil ports Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Western powers have called on forces loyal to Libya's powerful general, Khalifa Haftar, to leave the oil ports they have seized from the country's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Libya: UN envoy calls for immediate cessation of hostilities in Oil Crescent area UN News 12 Sep 2016 -- Expressing grave concerns over recent fighting in Libya's Oil Crescent area, Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for the country and the head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Martin Kobler called on military forces that moved into the area to immediately stop fighting and refrain from any further military escalation.
- Libyan rival forces say they seized third oil port from government Press TV 12 Sep 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's powerful general, Khalifa Haftar, say they have seized a third Mediterranean oil port from those loyal to the country's Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Libya's Unity Government Suffers Fresh Blow as Army Seizes Oil Ports Sputnik 12 Sep 2016 -- There are growing concerns over the continuation of Libya's political crisis, after troops linked to the country's internationally-recognized government seized oil ports from militia loyal to the rival UN-backed unity government.
- Forces loyal to Libyan general capture oil terminals Press TV 11 Sep 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's powerful general, Khalifa Haftar, who is opposed to the country's UN-backed government, have seized control of two key oil terminals in the north.
- Troops Loyal to Army Chief Haftar Seize Key Oil Ports From GNA Forces in Libya Sputnik 11 Sep 2016 -- The forces led by Gen. Khalifa Haftar, the commander of the armed forces loyal to Libya's Tobruk-based government, have gained full control of an area known as Libya's oil crescent with its major oil terminals, general's spokesman Khalifa Obeidi told Sputnik Sunday.
- Lifting Arms Embargo Against Libya Impossible Until Country's Army Unites – UN Sputnik 09 Sep 2016 -- The issue to lift the arms embargo against Libya can be raised when the country gets a single army, the United Nations' envoy told Sputnik.
- Libya's unity government pushes to retake Sirte from Daesh Press TV 03 Sep 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) have launched a final offensive to retake the city of Sirte from the Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- Pentagon: IS Down to 3 Neighborhoods in Former Libyan Stronghold VOA 01 Sep 2016 -- Islamic State forces have been reduced to just three neighborhoods in Sirte, Libya, a city once considered to be a stronghold for the group, a Pentagon spokesman said Thursday as the U.S. extended its air campaign over the city for up to another 30 days.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list