Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2016 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libya ships last chemical weapons stocks to Germany Press TV 30 Aug 2016 -- Libya has shipped the last of its chemical weapons stocks out of the country under a UN-backed plan to ensure the arsenal does not fall into the wrong hands, officials say.
- Libyan forces preparing to fully retake Sirte from Daesh Press TV 28 Aug 2016 -- Forces loyal to the Libyan unity government say they are preparing for a final "decisive" push to fully liberate the Daesh-held city of Sirte, in a months-long operation which has seen hundreds of troops dead.
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 25 Aug 2016
- SuperCobra Chopper: US Marines New Secret Weapon in Fight Against Daesh in Libya Sputnik 24 Aug 2016 -- Under new commander Marine Gen. Thomas Waldhauser, AFRICOM has deployed the lethal helicopter in the Libyan theater to deplete and degrade violent extremists.
- US Airstrikes Reduce Daesh Threat to Libyan Government Troops in Sirte Sputnik 23 Aug 2016 -- US airstrikes significantly reduced Daesh ability to utilize heavy weapons and enemy fighting positions, as well as reduced the number of vehicle-born improvised explosive devices intended for attacks on Libyan forces, according to Department of Defense spokesperson Michelle Baldanza.
- Libya's Political Crisis Continues as Tobruk Rejects UN-Backed Unity Gov't Sputnik 23 Aug 2016 -- The political crisis in Libya looks set to continue after the country's internationally recognized government rejected the fragile UN-backed unity government, extending Libya's uncertainty.
- Libya parliament votes against UN-backed government Press TV 22 Aug 2016 -- The UN-backed government in Libya faces a major blow as lawmakers in the internationally-recognized parliament reject the cabinet.
- Forces loyal to Libya's unity government pound Daesh in Sirte Press TV 21 Aug 2016 -- The air force units of Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) have carried out a series of airstrikes against pockets of Daesh terrorists in the northern city of Sirte.
- 2.4 million people in Libya need humanitarian aid: UN Press TV 20 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations has voiced concern about the alarming conditions of well over two million Libyans, who need humanitarian aid due to the militancy in the north African country.
- Denmark Agrees to Participate in Removing Chemical Weapons From Libya Sputnik 19 Aug 2016 -- The Danish parliament approved Friday the governmental proposal for the country to participate in a UN-backed international maritime operation to remove chemical weapons from Libya.
- Ten killed as bombs hit Libya's GNA forces near Sirte Press TV 18 Aug 2016 -- Twin car bomb attacks have claimed the lives of at least 10 fighters with pro-government Libyan forces near the city of Sirte, where they are battling the Daesh Takfiri terrorists to drive them out of the North African country.
- Daesh on Brink of Being Kicked Out From Libya's Sirte Sputnik 17 Aug 2016 -- Daesh terrorists have lost almost all the territory they have seized in the Libyan city of Sirte to the forces of Government of National Accord (GNA), GNA head of intelligence Col. Ismail Shukri said on Wednesday.
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 17 Aug 2016
- Libya’s GNA forces liberate another district in Sirte Press TV 16 Aug 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya’s Government of National Accord (GNA) have liberated one of the last districts in the coastal city of Sirte as they continue to push the Daesh Takfiri terrorists out of their stronghold in the North African country.
- Forces loyal to Libya's GNA tighten noose around Daesh in Sirte Press TV 14 Aug 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) tightened the noose around the Daesh Takfiri terrorists in Sirte Sunday as they continue to push the militants out of their stronghold in the country.
- DoD Officials: Local Forces in Libya, Syria Gain Ground Against ISIL AFPS 12 Aug 2016 -- Local forces engaged in tough fighting in Libya and Syria against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant are gaining ground against the terrorist army, a Defense Department spokesman said today.
- Libya's GNA forces retake 70 percent of Sirte from Daesh Press TV 11 Aug 2016 -- Fighters affiliated with Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) have liberated "70 percent" of the coastal city of Sirte, the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group's last stronghold in the North African country.
- Canadian Company Supplied Armored Vehicles to Libya Despite UN Arms Embargo Sputnik 11 Aug 2016 -- Canada-based Streit Group reportedly shipped dozens of armored personnel carriers to Libya despite the UN embargo.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Lieutenant General Sean MacFarland, commander, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve via teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 10 Aug 2016 -- Presenter: Lieutenant General Sean MacFarland, commander, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve and Captain Jeff Davis, Director, Defense Press Office
- Pentagon acknowledges US ground forces active in Libya Press TV 10 Aug 2016 -- The US military has acknowledged that its Special Operations troops are active in Libya, following a report which revealed their presence in the war-torn North African country.
- US Troops Expand Operations Against Daesh in Libya to Include Ground Support Sputnik 10 Aug 2016 -- The US Special Operations forces for the first time are carrying out on-the-ground operations against Daesh jihadist group in Libya's Sirte, The Washington Post reported, citing US officials.
- Libya's GNA forces retake Sirte University from Daesh Press TV 10 Aug 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) have retaken Sirte University from the Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- Libyan Forces Recapture Daesh Headquarters in Sirte Sputnik 10 Aug 2016 -- Troops loyal to the UN-backed Libyan government recaptured the Ouagadougou conference center, the Islamist headquarters in the port city of Sirte, the operations center said Wednesday.
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 10 Aug 2016
- US Special Operations troops deployed to Libya: Report Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- A number of US Special Operations troops have been deployed in Libya purportedly to help local forces fighting against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group, a report says.
- Libya Getting More US Help in Fight Against Islamic State VOA 09 Aug 2016 -- Increased U.S. airstrikes in Libya could be the start of an effort to smother the Islamic State terror group as it tries to cling to a key North African stronghold.
- Libyan forces retake new area from Daesh in Sirte Press TV 09 Aug 2016 -- Fighters affiliated with Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) have recaptured a new area in Sirte as they push ahead with their military operation to fully liberate the Daesh-held city.
- Libya forces to launch final assault on Daesh to retake Sirte Press TV 07 Aug 2016 -- Forces loyal to the Libyan unity government are preparing to launch a final offensive against the Daesh Takfiri terrorists to fully recapture the coastal city of Sirte.
- Libyan Islamists Increase Condemnation of US Airstrikes VOA 05 Aug 2016 -- Libyan Islamists opposed to the country's struggling U.N.-backed 'unity' government have condemned this week's U.S. airstrikes targeting Islamic State fighters holed up in the coastal town of Sirte.
- U.S. Airstrikes Support Government of National Accord in Libya AFPS 04 Aug 2016 -- U.S. Africa Command officials today announced results of the recent precision airstrikes conducted against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant targets in Sirte, Libya.
- Rome Ready to Allow US to Use Italian Bases for Anti-Daesh Airstrikes in Libya Sputnik 03 Aug 2016 -- Italy is ready to let the United States use its military bases to support the US airstrikes against Daesh jihadist groups in Libya, Italian Defense Minister Roberta Pinotti said Wednesday.
- Libyan forces continue anti-Daesh fight in city of Sirte Press TV 03 Aug 2016 -- Forces loyal to the Libyan unity government are pushing against Takfiri Daesh terrorists in the northern city of Sirte despite obstacles to their progress such as mines and snipers.
- U.S. Strikes Accelerate Gains Against ISIL in Libya AFPS 02 Aug 2016 -- U.S. precision airstrikes on Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant targets in Sirte, Libya, that began yesterday at the request of the Libyan Government of National Accord have allowed GNA-affiliated forces to accelerate the fight to expel ISIL from the Libyan city, a Pentagon spokesman said today.
- US Gives No Details on Bases Used for Libya Strikes Due to Operational Security Sputnik 02 Aug 2016 -- The United States declines to reveal details on military bases used to conduct US airstrikes against Daesh in Libya due to the operational security, Pentagon spokesperson Michelle Baldanza told Sputnik on Tuesday when asked about the possibility of using military bases in Italy for the recently launched campaign.
- US May Be Allowed to Use Italy's Military Bases for Anti-Daesh Campaign in Libya Sputnik 02 Aug 2016 -- Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni on Tuesday did not rule out the possibility of providing access to the country's military bases to Washington to support the recently launched US campaign against the Daesh terrorist group in Libya.
- Libyans Advance on Sirte With More US Airstrikes VOA 02 Aug 2016 -- The U.S. military launched more strikes against Islamic State targets Tuesday as Libyan forces said they were advancing inside the terror group's stronghold of Sirte.
- In battle against Daesh, Libya fighters advance inside Sirte Press TV 02 Aug 2016 -- Fighters affiliated with Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) say they have advanced inside the city of Sirte, the stronghold of the Takfiri Daesh terrorists in the North African country.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on US Air Strike in Libya DoD 01 Aug 2016 -- Today, at the request of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), the United States military conducted precision air strikes against ISIL targets in Sirte, Libya, to support GNA-affiliated forces seeking to defeat ISIL in its primary stronghold in Libya.
- US military begins airstrikes against Daesh-stronghold Sirte Press TV 01 Aug 2016 -- The US military conducted airstrikes in Libya on Monday to target the Daesh stronghold of Sirte, marking the first time the US has carried out such operations in the country.
- US Conducts Strikes Against IS in Libya VOA 01 Aug 2016 -- The U.S. military has conducted air strikes against Islamic State targets in Libya, the Pentagon said Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list