Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2016 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Select Committee on Benghazi Releases Proposed Report Select Committee on Benghazi 28 Jun 2016 -- The committee’s proposed report is just over 800 pages long and is comprised of five primary sections and 12 appendices. It details relevant events in 2011 and 2012.
- Report Finds US Military Showed Up Late During Benghazi Attack Sputnik 28 Jun 2016 -- None of the relevant US military forces met their required deployment timelines during the 2012 attack on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, according to the US House Benghazi Committee.
- US House Probe: No New Evidence of Wrongdoing By Clinton in Benghazi Attack VOA 28 Jun 2016 -- A Republican-led investigation of a 2012 terrorist attack on a U.S. diplomatic outpost in Libya that killed four Americans ended Tuesday with no new allegations about the actions of then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, now the presumptive 2016 Democratic presidential nominee.
- Car bombing near hospital kills 4, injures 14 in Libya's Benghazi Press TV 25 Jun 2016 -- A car bomb attack near a hospital in Libya's coastal city of Benghazi has left four civilians dead and 14 more wounded, medical officials say.
- 14 killed in 'violent clashes' for Libya's Sirte Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- Over a dozen people have been killed in "very violent clashes" between force loyal to Libya's Government of National Unity (GNA) and the Daesh Takfiri terrorists over the city of Sirte.
- Libya air force pounds Daesh positions in Sirte Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- Government-backed forces in Libya have carried out airstrikes on Daesh positions in Sirte in support of the ground operations aimed at liberating the coastal city from the terror group.
- Libya: Senior UN humanitarian official strongly condemns attacks on medical facilities UN News 24 Jun 2016 -- The acting United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Libya, Dr. Syed Jaffar Hussain expressed deep concerns at recent attacks in Benghazi that put medical facilities at risk and urged all parties to take all feasible precautions to prevent casualties among patients and medical personnel.
- Top US General urges military action in Libya Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- The US military's plans to counter the Daesh (ISIL) Takfiri terrorist group in Libya "makes no sense," a top US general says, adding that Washington needs to take a tougher stance in the country.
- Libyan forces advance against Daesh in Sirte Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's unity government have tightened the noose around Daesh terrorists in the northern port city of Sirte, advancing further into the Takfiri group's stronghold.
- Heavy Fighting Against Islamic Militants in Benghazi, Sirte VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's new "national unity" government in Tripoli have reportedly made gains inside the Islamic State-held coastal city of Sirte, while forces loyal to the rival government in Tobruk say they have pushed back al-Qaida militants in Benghazi.
- Nominee to Head US Military in Africa Warns of IS Focus on Libya VOA 21 Jun 2016 -- Islamic State militants are "very likely" to set their sights on ungoverned spaces in Africa if they are defeated in Iraq and Syria, according to the general nominated to lead the U.S. military's Africa Command.
- Forces loyal to Libya unity govt. prepare for final assault on Sirte Press TV 21 Jun 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's unity government are preparing for a final assault on the northern port city of Sirte, the main stronghold of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in the country.
- NATO Secretary General and Libyan Foreign Minister discuss how NATO can support Libya NATO 17 Jun 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met Mohamed Taha Siala, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Libya on Friday (17 June 2016). They discussed the political and security situation in Libya. The Secretary General said he was encouraged by the progress made by the Government of National Accord led by Prime Minister Fayez Al Sarraj and conveyed NATO's support for the political dialogue process led by the United Nations.
- No US Allies Prepared to Send Troops to Aid Fight Against Daesh in Libya Sputnik 16 Jun 2016 -- US Special Envoy for Libya Jonathan Winer said that the allies of the United States are not considering sending military forces to support the internationally-backed Libyan GNA against Daesh.
- US Lawmakers Mull Train-and-equip Plan to Stabilize Libya VOA 15 Jun 2016 -- As forces backed by Libya's unity government press an offensive against Islamic State's stronghold of Sirte, the U.S. is considering widening its engagement with the country's fragile Government of National Accord, in a bid to oust the militants.
- Security Council authorizes high seas inspections off Libya's coast, aiming to stem illegal arms flow UN News 14 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution today authorizing Member States, acting nationally or through regional organizations, to inspect vessels on the high seas off the coast of Libya they believe are carrying illicit weapons.
- UN rights office urges Libyan authorities to investigate death of 12 victims of torture UN News 14 Jun 2016 -- The UN human rights office today urged the Libyan authorities to undertake an effective, thorough and impartial investigation to bring perpetrators of torture to justice, after 12 people were found dead last Friday.
- UN Greenlights EU Operation Against Libya Arms Smuggling VOA 14 Jun 2016 -- In a bid to bolster the Libyan government and stop the spread of weapons into the hands of terrorists and militias there, the U.N. Security Council adopted a measure Tuesday authorizing a European Union naval force to stop and search ships, and seize illegal arms headed to or from Libya.
- Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in Libya for six months UN News 13 Jun 2016 -- The Security Council today decided to extend until 15 December 2016 the mandate of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), encouraging the operation to re-establish a permanent presence in the country through a phased return.
- Gadhafi's Hometown Grabbed Back From Islamic State VOA 12 Jun 2016 -- Libya's U.N.-negotiated unity government is claiming an offensive that's close to driving Islamic State militants from the coastal city of Sirte is evidence it is making progress at last in establishing its credibility.
- Daesh terrorists attack Libyan forces in Sirte Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorists have targeted Libyan forces with a series of car bombs in the port city of Sirte, killing at least one paramedic.
- Libya's unity government recaptures Daesh stronghold of Sirte Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's unity government say they have taken back the country's northern port city of Sirte from the Daesh Takfiri group in a major offensive against terrorists in the North African country.
- Libya's Pro-government Forces Set to Declare Victory in Sirte VOA 11 Jun 2016 -- Pro-government Libyan forces battled the last remaining Islamic State fighters in the center of the Libyan port city of Sirte early Saturday, with a spokesman saying top IS leaders had fled into the desert to avoid the onslaught.
- Naval forces loyal to Libyan unity govt. recapture Sirte coast Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- Naval forces loyal to the Libyan unity government have recaptured coastal areas of the port city of Sirte from militants.
- Prominent Islamic State Leader Killed in Libyan Sirte Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- "Emir of the Daesh" was killed in the Libyan coastal city of Sirte in a clash between the Libyan militia and the Daesh terrorists, local media reported Thursday.
- Calls Grow for Libya's Unity Government to Improve Services VOA 07 Jun 2016 -- Militias backing the U.N.-negotiated unity government in Libya are making progress on the battlefield against Islamic State militants, but the Government of National Accord is making little progress in establishing its authority in Libya's east.
- Libya must have functioning government to end 'tragic' humanitarian situation, Security Council told UN News 06 Jun 2016 -- The top United Nations official for Libya today told the Security Council about the "tragic" humanitarian situation there, underlining that "personal tragedies and collective suffering" are the consequence of the continued lack of State authority in most parts of the North African country.
- Libyan premier rejects foreign military intervention Press TV 05 Jun 2016 -- The Libyan prime minister has dismissed the possibility of an international military intervention purportedly aimed at boosting the anti-Daesh fight in the conflict-plagued country.
- Libya forces retake two towns from Daesh Press TV 01 Jun 2016 -- Forces aligned with Libya's new Government of National Accord (GNA) have pushed Daesh out of two towns within a matter of two days.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list