Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2016 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Violence rages as new govt. sails to Libya Press TV 31 Mar 2016 -- Libya hunkers down in fear as clashes erupt after the head of a UN-backed government arrives in the capital by sea to set up a temporary seat of power in a naval base.
- UN Envoy for Libya Welcomes Arrival of Legitimate Government to Tripoli Sputnik 30 Mar 2016 -- UN Envoy for Libya Martin Kobler said that he commends the arrival of Libya's Presidency Council in the capital Tripoli.
- Libya: UN envoy welcomes arrival of Presidency Council in Tripoli, urges peaceful handover of power UN News 30 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations envoy for Libya today welcomed the arrival in Tripoli of the Presidency Council, which marks an important step in Libya's democratic transition and path to peace, security and prosperity.
- Senior UN official in Libya condemns reported executions, killings by armed groups UN News 29 Mar 2016 -- The top United Nations official in Libya today condemned recent reported executions and killings of civilians in the northern part of the country and called for the responsible to be held to account.
- Leaked Memo Reveals UK Special Air Service Deployed in Libya Since January Sputnik 25 Mar 2016 -- According to a leaked memo written by King Abdullah II, Jordanian troops have operated alongside UK Special Air Service troops in Libya since January.
- Libyan govt. to be installed in Tripoli within days: UN Press TV 23 Mar 2016 -- The head of the UN mission in Libya says the North African country's new unity government will be installed in the capital Tripoli within days.
- El-Sisi Warns: Reckless Intervention May Turn Libya Into Another 'Somalia' Sputnik 20 Mar 2016 -- When it comes to Libya, Italy should carefully consider its military plans, as its intervention could make matters worse and turn the already volatile North African nation into complete chaos, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi told the Italian daily La Repubblica in an interview.
- Libya authorities oppose UN-backed unity government Press TV 18 Mar 2016 -- Libya's internationally recognized government has opposed a UN-sponsored unity government in the Arab country, citing fears of more divisions.
- Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in Libya for three months UN News 15 Mar 2016 -- The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) until 15 June, recognizing the need for a short extension so it can continue working with the country to establish the Government of National Accord.
- Suspected Daesh militants attack plant near key Libya oil field Press TV 15 Mar 2016 -- Suspected Daesh terrorists have attacked a plant near a major oil field in eastern Libya but have been pushed back by security forces, witnesses say.
- Libya: Security Council renews call for global support for national unity government UN News 14 Mar 2016 -- The Security Council today reiterated its support for the Libyan national unity government and renewed its call on United Nations Member States to end official contact with parallel institutions that claim legitimate authority but are outside of the 17 December political agreement.
- Libya military intervention needs UN approval, says Russian FM Press TV 14 Mar 2016 -- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says any military operation in Libya requires the approval of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
- Statement on Libya US Dept. of State 13 Mar 2016
- Multiple states, companies violating Libya arms embargo: UN Press TV 13 Mar 2016 -- A United Nations report has blamed multiple countries, companies, and individuals for sending weapons to rival militant factions in Libya in violation of an international arms embargo on the divided country.
- Tunisia forces kill 3 militants in southeastern border town Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Tunisian forces have raided a southeastern town close to the country's border with Libya, killing three militants and detaining another.
- US blasts Britain, France over chaos in Libya Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has criticized America's traditional allies, the United Kingdom and France, over their Libya policy in the aftermath of the 2011 overthrow of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
- Daesh expanding presence in Libya, UN warns Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- United Nations experts say the Daesh terror group has "significantly" strengthened its foothold in Libya, which is still grappling with the consequences of a NATO military intervention in 2011.
- Libya: UN urges humanitarian ceasefires, safe exit of civilians trapped in Benghazi UN News 11 Mar 2016 -- The top United Nations relief official for Libya today called for humanitarian ceasefires and the safe exit of civilians trapped in fighting areas in Benghazi, following reports that many families, specifically in the Qanfouda and Qawarsha neighbourhoods, face shortages of electricity, food and medical supplies.
- US plans massive air raids in Libya: Report Press TV 10 Mar 2016 -- The US is weighing military options, including air raids, in Libya which is engulfed in violence since Muammar Gaddafi was ousted after NATO airstrikes, the New York Times reports.
- Tunisian forces kill ten militants suspected of having links to Daesh Press TV 09 Mar 2016 -- Tunisian security forces have killed at least ten militants suspected of having links to the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group near the Libyan border.
- 'No terrorist attack can reverse Tunisia's democracy,' UN Security Council says UN News 09 Mar 2016 -- Strongly condemning the 7 March terrorist attack in Tunisia, the United Nations Security Council last night stressed that "no terrorist attack can reverse Tunisia's democracy and its efforts towards economic recovery and development."
- Analysts: Inaction Strengthens IS in Libya VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- Immediate international action against Islamic State extremists in Libya is needed to prevent the terrorist group from expanding further, regardless of the status of peace talks on a unity government there, analysts say.
- 25 killed in militant raid in Tunisia Press TV 07 Mar 2016 -- At least 25 people, including four civilians, have been killed in Tunisia in an exchange of gunfire between security personnel and unidentified gunmen near the Libyan border.
- 53 Dead in Extremist Attack Near Tunisia-Libya Border VOA 07 Mar 2016 -- Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi says his country is at war with 'barbarians,' following an attack by suspected militants that left at least 53 people dead near the Libyan border.
- Ban highlights Algeria's 'great progress' while raising alarm on situation in Libya UN News 06 Mar 2016 -- Visiting Algeria for the second time as United Nations Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon today said great progress has been made in the country since terrorist attacks in 2007 devastated UN Headquarters in Algiers, while underlining "alarming" developments in Libya that could amount to war crimes.
- Expansion of Daesh scourge in Libya 'terrifying,' Ban says Press TV 05 Mar 2016 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has warned of a "terrifying" expansion of the presence of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists in Libya.
- Libya Military Intervention Possible Only After Parliament Approval Sputnik 05 Mar 2016 -- Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi called for a 'balanced and long-term' solution to the instability in Libya, as UN-backed efforts to form a unity government were 'in full swing.'
- Libyan forces kill 7 suspected Daesh terrorists in Sabratha Press TV 03 Mar 2016 -- Libyan security forces have raided a hideout belonging to Daesh terrorists in the northwestern city of Sabratha, leaving seven suspected Takfiri militants dead.
- Libya 'needs to move ahead now, or risk division and collapse,' UN envoy tells Security Council UN News 02 Mar 2016 -- Libya needs to move ahead now or risk division and collapse, the top United Nations official in the country warned the UN Security Council today, while presenting the latest report on political and humanitarian developments.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list