Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2016 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Covert Affairs: UK 'Commandos' Deployed in Libya to Tackle Daesh Sputnik 28 Feb 2016 -- The United Kingdom has secretly deployed a group of special forces commandos to advise Libya on repelling the Daesh advance, Western officials and sources on the ground told British media.
- Libya denies presence of French troops to fight Daesh Press TV 26 Feb 2016 -- Libya's internationally recognized government has denied media reports that French special forces are engaged in covert military operations against Takfiri Daesh terrorists in the North African state.
- Daesh militant commander captured in northwestern Libya Press TV 26 Feb 2016 -- A local commander of the Daesh Takfiri militant group and two of his aides have been arrested near the Libyan capital city of Tripoli amid ongoing skirmishes between the extremists and militants loyal to the unrecognized Tripoli-based government.
- France's 'Secret War' in Libya Unravels Amid Fresh Allegations Sputnik 26 Feb 2016 -- While the French government has been unable to confirm or deny its operations in Libya, figures on both sides in the civil war have said that France carried out operations, circumventing a UNSC embargo.
- UN report documents litany of violations and abuses amid chaos in Libya OHCHR 25 Feb 2016-- A UN report published on Thursday has documented widespread violations and abuses committed in Libya since the beginning of 2014. The report recommends urgent measures to fight against impunity and to strengthen and reform the justice sector.
- US, UN Welcome Libyan Lawmakers' Support of Unity Government VOA 25 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. and U.N. have welcomed a declaration by Libyan lawmakers in support of a proposed unity government, but expressed concern about reported intimidation of members of parliament by those who oppose the accord.
- UN Alleges Widespread Abuses Committed With Impunity in Libya VOA 25 Feb 2016 -- A United Nations investigating team has found what is says are widespread atrocities committed with impunity by a variety of armed groups in Libya.
- UN finds evidence of war crimes in Libya Press TV 25 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations says all sides to the conflict in Libya have committed acts that amount to war crimes as well as other rights abuses over the past two years.
- France's 'Secret War' in Libya Not So Secret Anymore Sputnik 25 Feb 2016 -- French newspaper Le Monde has been accused of compromising state secrets after reporting that the France was waging a 'secret war' with Libya. Its report based on sources blogging on the ground suggests that French Special Forces are in eastern Libya, engaging in covert operations against Daesh along with the US and UK.
- UN reports widespread human rights abuses in Libya, where 'complete impunity prevails' UN News 25 Feb 2016 -- A United Nations report published today has documented widespread human rights violations and abuses committed in Libya since the beginning of 2014, recommending urgent measures to address "the complete impunity that prevails" and to strengthen and reform the justice sector.
- France deploys forces to Libya to allegedly fight against Daesh Press TV 24 Feb 2016 -- A report says French special forces have been deployed in Libya under the pretext of fighting Daesh terrorists operating in the North African country.
- No Evidence Serbians Killed in U.S. Strike in Libya, Defense Official Says AFPS 24 Feb 2016 -- The Defense Department has not received any evidence to support the claim that two Serbian hostages were killed in the U.S. strike last week in Libya, a Pentagon spokesman said today.
- Local Libyan forces clear Sabratha of Daesh terrorists Press TV 24 Feb 2016 -- Libya's local military brigades have forced Daesh terrorists out of Sabratha after the Takfiri militants briefly entered the center of the northwestern city in the crisis-hit African country, authorities say.
- UN envoy urges formal launch of a national unity government in Libya UN News 24 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations envoy for Libya today called for an immediate step to formalize the parliamentary approval of a national unity Government, as its launch is vital to peace and stability in this post-conflict country.
- Libya delays confidence vote over lack of quorum Press TV 23 Feb 2016 -- The internationally recognized parliament of Libya has failed to hold a vote of confidence in the UN-backed unity government over a lack of quorum.
- Armed US drones to use Sicily base for Libya operations Press TV 22 Feb 2016 -- Italy has agreed to allow American armed drones to use an airbase in its southern island of Sicily for military operations against alleged positions of Daesh Takfiri terrorists in Libya and across North Africa.
- Libyan Troops Reclaim Key Port From Daesh Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- The Libyan army has regained a strategic port near Libya's second-largest city of Benghazi from Daesh jihadists, Arabic media reported Sunday, citing the Libyan military press service.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Serbian Hostages in Libya DoD 20 Feb 2016
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 19 Feb 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Strike on ISIL Camp Protected National Security, Pentagon Press Secretary Says AFPS 19 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. military's airstrike on an Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant training camp early today near rural Sabratha, Libya -- a strike that also targeted a senior ISIL facilitator -- was conducted after surveillance showed both were threats to U.S. national security, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a news conference today.
- Statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Libya Airstrike DoD 19 Feb 2016 -- "Early this morning the U.S. military conducted an airstrike in Libya targeting an ISIL training camp near Sabratha and Noureddine Chouchane, a.k.a. 'Sabir,' a Tunisian national who was an ISIL senior facilitator in Libya associated with the training camp. "
- Joint Statement on Libya US Dept. of State 18 Feb 2016 -- "The governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States welcome the Libyan Presidency Council's February 14 announcement of a Government of National Accord Cabinet."
- U.S. Airstrike in Libya Targets ISIL Training Camp, Senior Facilitator AFPS 19 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. military conducted an airstrike in Libya early today targeting an Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant training camp near Sabratha, and Noureddine Chouchane, also known as 'Sabir,' a Tunisian national who was an ISIL senior facilitator in Libya associated with the training camp, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said.
- US Carries Out Strikes in Libya After Uncovering Daesh Attack Plans Sputnik 19 Feb 2016 -- US Defense Department spokesperson Peter Cook said that Washington conducted airstrikes in Libya against terrorists' training camp and Daesh leader Noureddine Chouchane after US Defense Department received information that Daesh 'were planning external attacks on US and other Western interests in the region.'
- US Jets Hit IS Camp in Libya, Target 'Likely Killed' VOA 19 Feb 2016 -- U.S. warplanes attacked an Islamic State training camp in western Libya Friday, near the border with Tunisia, hitting their main target and killing dozens of terrorist recruits.
- US airstrikes kill 40 people in Libyan city: Mayor Press TV 19 Feb 2016 -- US aircraft carried out airstrikes early Friday on the city of Sabratha, northwestern Libya, killing over 40 people, the city's mayor said.
- What a difference 5 years makes IRIN 18 Feb 2016 -- On the fifth anniversary of Libya's uprising against Muammar Gaddafi, there isn't much to celebrate for the residents of Bin Jawad. Once at the heart of the 2011 rebellion, they have either fled for their lives or find themselves under the brutal rule of so-called Islamic State.
- UN envoy warns of Daesh expansion in Libya Press TV 17 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations special envoy for Libya has warned against further postponement of a vote on a unity government in the North African state, saying delays in the task will result in the expansion of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- UN envoy for Libya welcomes 'major breakthrough' on formation of unity government UN News 15 Feb 2016 -- Welcoming the announcement by the Libyan Presidency Council on the formation of the Government of National Accord, the United Nations envoy there called today on the House of Representatives "to do what is right for Libya and its people" and endorse the nomination of the national unity government.
- Proposed Libyan Unity Government Faces Harsh Scrutiny by Parliament VOA 15 Feb 2016 -- The ball is now in the court of Libya's internationally recognized parliament in Tobruk to approve or vote down a newly named 18-member government.
- MiG-23 fighter jet shot down over Libya's Benghazi Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- A MiG-23 fighter jet of Libya's internationally recognized government has been shot down while carrying out airstrikes against militant positions in the coastal city of Benghazi.
- Islamic State Found Weaker In Iraq, Syria, Stronger In Libya RFE/RL 05 Feb 2016 -- The Islamic State (IS) militant group is growing weaker in Iraq and Syria but has gained strength in Libya, according to a new U.S. intelligence assessment.
- Daesh big guns moving to Libya, intelligence official says Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- Top commanders of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group are increasingly moving from Syria and Iraq to Libya, making the crisis-stricken country their safe haven, says a Libyan intelligence official.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list