Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2015 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Daesh Strength in Libya Grows to Nearly 5,000 Fighters Sputnik 27 Dec 2015 -- Libya, which is undergoing its second civil war in less than half a decade, has become the next country after Iraq and Syria to be targeted by Daesh terrorists for expansion.
- As Libya marks 64th independence anniversary, UN envoy urges unity behind new Government UN News 24 Dec 2015 -- A week after brokering an accord for a national unity government in strife-torn Libya, the top United Nations envoy for the country urged all Libyans to use today's 64th independence anniversary to put their differences behind them and unite behind the new inclusive institutions.
- Peace in Libya or More Chaos? VOA 24 Dec 2015 -- The U.N. Security Council endorsed a new Libyan unity government Wednesday – the outcome of months-long negotiations between the country's two competing governments in Tripoli and Tobruk. But some analysts say the negotiating process for the political settlement wasn't inclusive enough and warn the odds are against the new government being able to bring order to the highly fractious North African country.
- Hailing political accord, Security Council urges international aid against terrorist groups in Libya UN News 23 Dec 2015 -- Welcoming the newly signed United Nations-brokered accord for a national unity government in Libya, the Security Council today urged the parties to implement its terms within the 30-day time limit, and called on the world community to provide all necessary aid to defeat terrorist groups.
- Libya's dire humanitarian situation requires funding 'on time and in volume,' warns senior UN relief official UN News 22 Dec 2015 -- World Food Programme (WFP) trucks have begun distributing 1,300 tons of food to Libyans in dire need of assistance, but with nine days left in the year, the United Nations aid plan for more than 2.4 million people for 2016 has received zero funding, the top UN humanitarian official in the strife-torn country said today.
- Tripoli Asks Russia for Military Support for Libya's Anti-Terror Fight Sputnik 22 Dec 2015 -- Libya's self-proclaimed government in Tripoli is grateful to Russia for its consent and readiness to help the crisis-hit Libya in its fight against terrorism, Prime Minister Khalifa Ghawi told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- Chemical arms entered Syria via Turkey from Libya: Gaddafi cousin Press TV 19 Dec 2015 -- The chemical weapons, widely reported to be used by Takfiri terrorists against Syrians some two years ago, were stolen from Libya and later smuggled into Syria via Turkey, a relative of former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi says.
- US special ops troops ordered to leave Libya Press TV 18 Dec 2015 -- A group of US commandos who had traveled to Libya to 'foster relationships' was ordered to leave the war-torn country soon after they arrived, the Pentagon says.
- Welcoming the Signing of the Libyan Political Agreement US Dept. of State 17 Dec 2015
- UN welcomes 'historic' signing of Libyan Political Agreement UN News 17 Dec 2015 -- Representatives from a broad range of Libyan society today signed a United Nations-brokered agreement on forming a national unity government, a move welcomed by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and his top envoy for the country as among the "essential building blocks towards a peaceful, secure and prosperous Libya," but also as "the beginning of a difficult journey" along that path.
- UN envoy welcomes 'historic' signing of Libyan Political Agreement UN News 17 Dec 2015 -- Representatives from a broad range of Libyan society today signed a United Nations-brokered agreement on forming a national unity government, a move welcomed by the top UN official in the country as among the "essential building blocks towards a peaceful, secure and prosperous Libya," but also as "the beginning of a difficult journey" along that path.
- Libyan Leaders Sign National Unity Deal VOA 17 Dec 2015 -- Libyan leaders from the country's two rival parliaments signed a national unity agreement in the Moroccan resort town of Skhirat, after a number of final obstacles were worked out. A new prime minister was also named.
- Libya's Rival Parliament Chiefs Reject Peace Deal VOA 16 Dec 2015 -- Members of Libya's rival governments had been expected to sign a peal deal Wednesday, but officials said the ceremony would be pushed back to Thursday, while the heads of the two parliaments expressed disapproval of the agreement altogether.
- Daesh pushing deeper in Libya for oil: French minister Press TV 14 Dec 2015 -- France has warned about the spillover of terrorist acts by the Daesh extremist group from its stronghold on Libya's coast deeper into the embattled country in a bid to gain access to oil reserves.
- World Powers Back Libyan Unity Plan VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- World powers have wrapped up a meeting with representatives of Libya's two rival factions with an affirmation of support for a U.N.-backed plan that would establish a unity government.
- Ministerial Meeting for Libya Joint Communique US Dept. of State 13 Dec 2015
- Background Briefing on Secretary Kerry's Travel to Rome to Attend the Ministerial Meeting on Libya US Dept. of State 12 Dec 2015
- UN: Libya at Risk From Forces of Extremism VOA 11 Dec 2015 -- The U.N.'s top diplomat in Libya warned Friday that the country is 'in a race against time' to protect itself from the growing danger of Islamist extremist groups expanding their grip on the fractured nation.
- Libyan parties set 16 December as date to sign political agreement – UN envoy UN News 11 Dec 2015 -- The new United Nations envoy for Libya announced today that the parties to the country's political dialogue process have agreed to set 16 December as the target date to sign the UN-facilitated agreement on forming a national unity government, aiming to bring an end to the crisis that has left nearly 2.4 million Libyans in desperate need of humanitarian assistance.
- DoD Confirms U.S. Strikes Killed Senior Terrorist Operatives AFPS 07 Dec 2015 -- The Defense Department has confirmed the deaths of senior terrorist leaders in Libya and Somalia from recent U.S. airstrikes, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a statement today.
- Statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Nov. 13 airstrike in Libya DoD 07 Dec 2015
- Libya: UN envoy urges endorsement of political agreement as way forward for 'peace in unity' UN News 07 Dec 2015 -- The top United Nations official in Libya has emphasized that the political agreement reached after wide consultations among Libyan parties and facilitated by the UN for more than a year, is the basis to end the North African country's conflict.
- Can peace deal bring relief to south Libya's 'Chinese camp'? IRIN 02 Dec 2015 -- A peace deal signed last week in Qatar by warring tribes from the Saharan town of Ubari may bring some hope for displaced and marginalised people in Libya's desert south, including those holed up in a partially-built construction project known locally as "the Chinese Camp".
- Letter dated 18 November 2015 from the Chair of the Security Council Committee pursuant to resolutions 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011) concerning Al-Qaida and associated individuals and entities addressed to the President of the Security Council UN Security Council 19 Nov 2015 -- Report of the Analytical Support and Sanctions Monitoring Team prepared in accordance with paragraph 13 of Security Council resolution 2214 (2015), in which the Monitoring Team was requested to submit a report on the terrorism threat in Libya posed by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, Ansar al Charia and all other individuals, groups, undertakings and entities associated with Al-Qaida operating in Libya, and on their sources of arms, funding, recruitment, demographics and connections to the terrorist networks in the region and recommendations for additional actions to address the threat.
- Up to 3,000 Daesh militants operating in Libya: UN Press TV 02 Dec 2015 -- Experts from the United Nations (UN) say there are between 2,000 and 3,000 members of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Libya.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list