Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2015 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Trump: World Better Off With Hussein, Gadhafi in Power VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- The world would be a better place if dictators such as Iraq's Saddam Hussein and Libya's Moammar Gadhafi were still in power, top Republican U.S. presidential hopeful Donald Trump said in comments aired Sunday.
- Libya: UN mission condemns terrorist attack against Benghazi demonstration UN News 23 Oct 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) today strongly condemned the terrorist attack which targeted a peaceful demonstration in Benghazi, killing and injuring many civilians.
- Clinton Testifies Before Benghazi Investigation RFE/RL 22 Oct 2015 -- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton defended her decision-making during the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, also telling Congressional investigators that neither Washington nor U.S. military officials denied requests for support from personnel there.
- Hardliners will not 'hijack' Libyan political process, declares UN envoy, vowing to press ahead UN News 21 Oct 2015 -- The effort towards forming a unity government in Libya will continue, the United Nations envoy for the country said today, emphasizing that while a position had been announced that some parties had not voted for the UN-backed political agreement, "there is no chance for small groups or personalities to hijack this process."
- Libya: Security Council urges parties to endorse and sign political agreement UN News 17 Oct 2015 -- Recalling their statement last week which commended Libyan dialogue participants on finalizing a political agreement for the creation of a Government of National Accord, members of the UN Security Council today urged all Libyan parties to endorse and sign it.
- Scotland Identifies 2 More Libyan Lockerbie Suspects VOA 15 Oct 2015 -- Scottish prosecutors have identified two more Libyan suspects in the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, which killed 270 people.
- Libya rival factions reject national unity government deal Press TV 12 Oct 2015 -- Rival factions in Libya have rejected a recent UN-brokered agreement on the formation of a national unity government.
- UN Security Council authorizes operations to disrupt migrant smuggling of coast of Libya UN News 09 Oct 2015 -- Acting to help "save the threatened lives of migrants or of victims of human trafficking" and to disrupt criminal enterprises operating on the high-seas off the coast of Libya, the United Nations Security Council today authorized for one year operations by the European Union (EU) and individual countries to inspect and or seize vessels of suspected of people smuggling in the Mediterranean.
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 09 Oct 2015
- UN mission in Libya proposes unity government Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- The head of the UN Support Mission to Libya (UNSMIL) has proposed the formation of a unity government in the North African country.
- Top UN officials urge Libyan parties to endorse proposals on new unity government UN News 09 Oct 2015 -- Following the proposal of the names of candidates for the presidency for a national unity government in Libya, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged parties to the Libyan "not to squander this opportunity to put the country back on the path to building a State that reflects the spirit and ambitions of the 2011 revolution."
- UN Envoy in Libya Announces Proposal for Unity Government VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- The U.N. envoy for Libya has announced the proposal of a new unity government for the divided nation in what could be a key step toward ending four years of chaos and political turmoil.
- UN envoy to propose unity government for Libya Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- The head of the UN Support Mission to Libya (UNSMIL), Bernardino Leon, has announced plans to propose a list of candidates to form a unity government in Libya.
- Libya: Ban calls for urgent agreement on formation of Government of National Accord UN News 06 Oct 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged participants in the Libyan political dialogue to urgently conclude the process and sign an agreement leading to the formation of a Government of National Accord.
- Libya: Ban urges parties to reject violence, act quickly on draft peace plan UN News 02 Oct 2015 -- Stressing that 18 months of violence has only led Libya down a path of death, displacement and destruction, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged all parties to put aside their differences and act on the draft peace plan they have before them.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list