Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2015 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Arab League Delays Forming Joint Force VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- The Arab League has postponed its effort to form a regional military force to fight Islamic State militants in Libya, apparently because the league's members are divided in their views on the civil war in the north African state.
- Libya's Tripoli Faction Delays Joining Unity Government Talks VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations said talks to form a unity government in Libya restarted in Morocco but without the Tripoli delegation.
- As Libyan political talks resume, UN envoy urges parties to set aside differences, agree unity government UN News 27 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has announced that a round of Libyan political dialogue began today in Skhirat, Morocco.
- Qatar, Turkey to Blame for Forcing Political Islam in Libya Sputnik 27 Aug 2015 -- Certain states aim to impose political Islam in Libya, Libyan Prime Minister told Sputnik in an interview.
- UN envoy says Libyan parties must come together, make ‘final push’ for peace UN News 26 Aug 2015 -- Head of the UN Mission in Libya: “Time is running out” for leaders on all sides and at all levels to make the “final push”.
- Analysts: Arab League Has No Choice But to Create Regional Force VOA 25 Aug 2015 -- On Monday, Libyan Armed Forces Commander Khalifa Haftar repeated calls for weapons and training to help his army fight Islamic State (IS) militants.
- Broader Response to Help Libya Debated VOA 19 Aug 2015 -- Libya’s internationally recognized government is urging Arab countries to launch airstrikes against Islamic State-affiliated militants.
- Libya: UN agency helps country upgrade response to boats in distress of its coast UN News 19 Aug 2015 -- Following a spate of deadly shipwrecks of the coast of Libya, the UN refugee agency has announced that it has set up a forum to improve the country’s response to boats in distress.
- Analysis: Libya Intervention Urgent but Risky VOA 19 Aug 2015 -- After the Arab League again called for a new strategy to fight the Islamic State in Libya, the need for action has never been more urgent, according to security analysts and some regional leaders.
- Libya: UN human rights office alarmed by reports of ISIL-led violence, reprisal killings UN News 18 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations human rights office today expressed concern over violence in Sirte, Libya, involving militants claiming allegiance to the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 16 Aug 2015
- Sirte Violence Triggers Libya Request for Anti-IS Help VOA 16 Aug 2015 -- The Arab League is set to hold an emergency meeting Tuesday at the request of Libya's internationally recognized government, which is under attack by Islamic State militants.
- UN mission condemns ISIL attacks in Sirte, urges Libyans to unite against terrorism UN News 15 Aug 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya stressed today it is “high time” that Libyans agree a unity government to address the country's challenges.
- Islamic State Militants Subdue Sirtre Uprising VOA 14 Aug 2015 -- Libyan TV reported is reporting that Islamic State (IS) militants killed several dozen captives Friday in the Libyan port city of Sirte.
- Libyan parties say ‘no alternative’ to peace outside UN-sponsored dialogue process UN News 13 Aug 2015 -- The latest round of the United Nations-facilitated Libyan political dialogue has concluded in Geneva.
- Libya Unity Talks End With Vow to Make Deal VOA 12 Aug 2015 -- Peace talks between Libya's warring factions ended Wednesday in Geneva without resolution.
- Libya’s Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thani resigns Press TV 12 Aug 2015 -- The prime minister of Libya's internationally recognized government has announced his resignation on live television.
- Libyan PM Offers to Resign VOA 12 Aug 2015 -- The prime minister of Libya's internationally recognized government said he would resign if demanded by the people.
- Libya Peace Talks Underway While Thousands Flee the Lawless State Sputnik 12 Aug 2015 -- The consequences of the Arab Spring and the uprising of Islamic State along with the overthrow of Libya’s leader Colonel Gaddafi are ricocheting across the world.
- With political will, Libyan parties can reach settlement by month’s end – UN envoy UN News 11 Aug 2015 -- UN special envoy Bernardino León: With political will, the parties could wrap up “this very difficult process” with an agreement by the end of August.
- UN Pushing for Final Libyan Peace Accord by September VOA 11 Aug 2015 -- Chief United Nations mediator says he believes it is possible to hammer out a final agreement on a unity government for conflict-ridden Libya by early September.
- Libya: new round of UN-facilitated political dialogue set to begin next week UN News 06 Aug 2015 -- With a new round of the United Nations-facilitated political dialogue set to begin next week, the top UN envoy for Libya, Bernardino León, has urged the parties to redouble their efforts to find a peaceful resolution to the conflict in the country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list