Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2015 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Internal displacement doubles in Libya since September, UN refugee agency warns UN News 30 Jun 2015 -- According to the United Nations refugee agency, the number of people displaced within Libya has almost doubled from an estimated 230,000 last September to more than 434,000 amid escalating fighting this year in different parts of the crisis-gripped North-African country.
- 'We have this week,' says UN envoy, urging Libyan parties to quickly reach political solution to end crisis UN News 28 Jun 2015 -- From Morocco where he is facilitating the dialogue among Libyan parties, the United Nations envoy for the North African country has stressed that the coming week should be decisive to reach an agreement on the draft political proposal he recently introduced to bring Libya's diverse stakeholders together and ensure peace and stability.
- 'We are getting closer to a solution,' says UN Libya envoy, opening latest round of talks on ending crisis UN News 25 Jun 2015 -- Previewing what he hopes will be the last round of United Nations-backed political talks on Libya, the UN envoy for the country said today the fact that all the participants in the dialogue have accepted a fourth draft proposal as the basis for a final political solution is "extremely encouraging" that agreement could be reached during discussions over the coming days.
- UN Libya envoy meets with armed groups in support of political agreement UN News 23 Jun 2015 -- As part of an overall United nations-supported effort on the security track of Libya's national dialogue, the United Nations envoy for country has met in Misrata with representatives of armed groups, stressing the importance of local ceasefires and reconciliation agreements are welcome developments.
- U.S. Airstrike Kills Person of Interest in Benghazi Attack AFPS 22 Jun 2015 -- A June 15 U.S. airstrike in Mosul, Iraq, killed a known Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant operative and organizational intermediary who was a person of interest in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack against U.S. personnel in Benghazi, Libya, Pentagon officials announced today.
- As UN-backed talks continue, Security Council calls for political solution to Libyan crisis UN News 17 Jun 2015 -- The Security Council has emphasized the urgency for Libyan stakeholders to reach a political solution to the country's crisis amid ongoing United Nations-facilitated talks.
- Islamic State Suffering Setbacks in Libya VOA 15 Jun 2015 -- A few days ago fighters with Islamic State's affiliate in Libya were gloating about recent battlefield successes and appeared poised to launch an offensive on oil fields near Sirte, the coastal city they overran last month. But in recent days they suffered two serious reversals.
- US Airstrike Targets Top Al-Qaida Terrorist in Libya VOA 14 Jun 2015 -- The U.S. military says it launched an airstrike against a top al-Qaida linked terrorist in Libya wanted for a deadly 2013 attack on a gas plant in Algeria.
- Airstrike kills senior Qaeda commander in eastern Libya Press TV 14 Jun 2015 -- A senior commander of the al-Qaeda terrorist group has been killed in an attack in Libya.
- Libya: UN official calls for 'immediate' release of abducted Tunisian diplomatic staff UN News 14 Jun 2015 -- The top United Nations official in Libya has strongly condemned an attack on the Tunisian consulate in the Libyan capital of Tripoli which resulted in the capture of ten consulate staff members.
- Islamic State Grows Stronger in Libya VOA 12 Jun 2015 -- Libyan militiamen battling the Islamic State's affiliate in their country say most of the jihadi fighters are not Libyans – the bulk of them, they say, come from neighboring North African nations.
- UN envoy calls on Libya's warring groups to end rifts Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- The head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya has urged the country's warring factions to agree to a power-sharing deal in an attempt to resolve the ongoing conflict in the North African state.
- Libya infighting kills 11 from rival militant groups Press TV 10 Jun 2015 -- Clashes between two rival militant groups in eastern Libya have killed 11 members as al-Qaeda-linked terrorists declared war on a local ISIL affiliate after one of their top leaders was shot dead by masked gunmen.
- 'Libya doesn't have time,' says UN envoy, urging parties to make political draft 'a final one' UN News 10 Jun 2015 -- Amid "very encouraging signs" in the United Nations-facilitated Libyan political dialogue, the Secretary-General's Special Representative on the North African nation today said that "time has come to make an agreement" and if possible, before or at the beginning of Ramadan, which begins on 17 June.
- UN, EU Urge Libyans to Accept Power-Sharing Deal VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations and major world powers are urging rival factions in Libya to accept a power-sharing agreement and put an end to nearly four years of fighting, terrorism and political turmoil.
- Libya Struggles With Massive Boat People Crisis VOA 10 Jun 2015 -- Libyan officials suspect there could be up to a million illegal immigrants in the country planning to board smugglers' boats for the perilous sea-crossing to Italy.
- Presenting draft proposal, UN envoy urges Libyan parties to 'heal rift that has torn your country apart' UN News 09 Jun 2015 -- Telling stakeholders in Libya's dialogue that "mothers across [the country] have their eyes on you," the United Nations envoy for Libya presented draft political proposal and said that the time had finally come for the parties to take the difficult decision to make peace and begin the process towards national reconciliation.
- IS Seizes Libyan Power Plant Near Sirte VOA 09 Jun 2015 -- Islamic State militants have seized a power plant west of the Libyan city of Sirte, the group and a military source said on Tuesday, as the U.N. envoy to the country presented the latest draft proposal for a unity government.
- Four killed, 3 injured in ISIL attack on Libya's Misrata Press TV 08 Jun 2015 -- An attack by the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group has claimed the lives of four security forces in the Libyan northwestern city of Misrata.
- Libyan Militias Start Talks Ahead of UN Mediations VOA 08 Jun 2015 -- Opposing Libyan militias are starting to engage in reconciliation talks with each other, bypassing the country's politicians, who they fear will be unable to deliver a peace deal at this week's U.N. sponsored talks aimed at securing a political settlement to end a year-long violent power struggle between Libya's dueling parliaments.
- ISIL Makes Inroads in Libya Amid Country's Chaos Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- The Islamic State has carried out assaults on several Libyan cities, raising fears that the group may use Libyan bases to stage attacks elsewhere.
- Libya Dawn Blames UN for Stalled Peace Deal VOA 05 Jun 2015 -- Top members of the unofficial government in Tripoli run by Libya Dawn forces say a breakthrough is highly unlikely when U.N.-backed peace negotiations aimed at forming a unity government resume June 7 in Morocco.
- Libyan political dialogue round set for Monday in Morocco - UN mission UN News 05 Jun 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) announced today that the next round of Libyan political dialogue sessions in Skhirat, Morocco, will commence on Monday, 8 June.
- Libya: UN envoy meets political actors and activists on reaching final agreement to end crisis UN News 03 Jun 2015 -- The only option Libya has, "the only real alternative for the future," is an agreement, Special Representative and head of the United Nations Support Mission in the country (UNSMIL), Bernardino León said at a meeting in Algeria with Libyan political leaders and activists today.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list