Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2015 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Draft political deal for Libyan parties is 'work in progress,' UN envoy tells Security Council UN News 29 Apr 2015 -- Announcing today that he had outlined for the Security Council his draft proposal for a political agreement among Libya's opposing factions, the United Nations envoy for the country warned that ongoing "chaos" there has sparked a series of dire events in the wider region – forcing thousands of desperate civilians to seek unsafe passage across the Mediterranean and a spate of recent bomb attacks against embassies in Tripoli.
- UN's Libya envoy offers new power-sharing plan Press TV 29 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations envoy to Libya, Bernardino Leon, has issued a deadline to the country's warring sides to respond to his latest plan for a power-sharing agreement, diplomats say.
- UN refugee agency assists hundreds of Libyans rescued at sea as Europe responds to migration crisis UN News 28 Apr 2015 -- The heads of United Nations agencies with a stake in the current crisis in the Mediterranean Sea have pledged to working closely with the European Union (EU) following its decision "to mobilize all efforts at its disposal to prevent further loss of life at sea and to tackle the root causes of the human emergency."
- Libya: UN condemns 'horrific' week of human rights violations amid county's rising violence UN News 24 Apr 2015 -- The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) today condemned the "successive horrific incidents" in Libya this past week – ranging from the appalling loss of life in the Mediterranean of those escaping violence, the execution of Christians and the killings of several members of a prominent family by the so-called 'Islamic State in Libya.'
- Libya: UN official condemns terrorist attack on Spanish embassy UN News 22 Apr 2015 -- The head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Bernardino León has strongly condemned the latest terrorist attack in the Libyan capital of Tripoli in which the Spanish Embassy was targeted.
- Final accord 'very close' in Libya peace talks: UN envoy Press TV 19 Apr 2015 -- The UN envoy for Libya says that warring factions in the North African country have reached a draft agreement during their latest round of negotiations.
- White House Condemns Islamic State Massacre of Ethiopian Christians VOA 19 Apr 2015 -- The White House has condemned 'in the strongest terms' the mass murder of 30 Ethiopian Christians in Libya claimed by Islamic State.
- UN envoy condemns outbreak of violence in Libyan capital amid ongoing political talks UN News 18 Apr 2015 -- The head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Bernardino León has strongly condemned the renewed outbreak of violence in the Libyan capital of Tripoli amid ongoing political dialogue aimed at resolving the crisis in the country.
- 14 soldiers killed, 24 injured in Libya clashes: Source Press TV 18 Apr 2015 -- At least 14 soldiers have lost their lives and another 24 have been wounded during the Libyan National Army's assaults on a camp occupied by the Fajr Libya (Libya Dawn) militants in the capital Tripoli, a military source says.
- Libyan parties open new round of UN-backed political talks aimed at restoring 'stability and prosperity' UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- A new round of political dialogue on Libya, hosted by Morocco and facilitated by the United Nations Support Mission (UNSMIL) in the country began in Skhirat, Morocco, today, aiming to end the crisis in the country.
- Libya: Security Council condemns terrorist attacks on Republic of Korea, Morocco embassies UN News 15 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council has condemned "in the strongest terms" the recent series of terrorist attacks against the embassies of the Republic of Korea and Morocco in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
- Libyan political parties, activists conclude second round of UN-backed talks UN News 14 Apr 2015 -- A second meeting of Libyan political parties and activists, facilitated by the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), concluded its deliberations today in the Algerian capital by reiterating the commitment to the political dialogue as the only option to resolve the crisis in Libya.
- In Algeria, UN envoy opens latest round of talks between Libyan leaders, activists UN News 13 Apr 2015 -- Libyan stakeholders must give the country's United Nations-facilitated peace process a chance in order for a political solution to take hold and end the ongoing fighting in the North African nation, the head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has declared.
- US, Europe Urge Libyan Cease-fire; Unity Government Talks Begin VOA 13 Apr 2015 -- The United States and European powers are pressing Libya's rival factions for an 'unconditional' cease-fire as talks aimed at creating a unity government start Monday in Algeria.
- UN condemns escalation of hostilities in western Libya, calls for immediate ceasefire UN News 11 Apr 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has today condemned the grave escalation in hostilities in western Libya, particularly in the Aziziya area in Warshafana, a region whose towns in recent days have undergone considerable destruction from intermittent battles.
- Women have 'very important role' in Libyan peace process, says UN envoy UN News 09 Apr 2015 -- Libyan women have a crucial role to play in resolving the crisis in their country, a senior United Nations official said in an address to 250 Libyan women gathered in Tripoli, at a dialogue aimed at including women from all walks of life in the political process.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list