Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2015 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libya: UN mission welcomes ceasefire, withdrawal of forces in Sidra Oil Crescent region UN News 31 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has today welcomed the ceasefire and the withdrawal of forces from the Sidra Oil Crescent area, a move which follows weeks of mediation efforts between parties.
- Demanding 'immediate' ceasefire in Libya, Security Council extends UN mission in crisis-torn country UN News 28 Mar 2015 -- Unanimously adopting two separate resolutions on Libya, the Security Council, in the first, called for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire and extended the United Nations Support Mission there (UNSMIL) until 15 September, and in the second, adjusted the arms embargo on the country in light of the terrorist threat there.
- UN envoy says Libya latest peace talks have gone 'well beyond what we have expected' UN News 27 Mar 2015 -- Libyan stakeholders have reached a consensus on a range of issues – including on the need for a unity government and security arrangements – and are now convinced that there is a political solution to the country's crisis, Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG), Bernardino Léon, said at the conclusion of the latest round of peace talks which he praised for making "very important progress."
- ISIL Takfiris kill 5 Libya Dawn fighters Press TV 25 Mar 2015 -- ISIL Takfiri terrorists have killed five Libya Dawn fighters near the coastal city of Sirte in Libya.
- In Brussels, UN envoy says continued dialogue critical for Libyan peacebuilding UN News 23 Mar 2015 -- Stakeholders must work together to take Libya out of its "mess of a war" and begin rebuilding the conflict-ridden country into a modern, democratic state, a senior United Nations official said today.
- Libya talks continue despite clashes: UN envoy Press TV 22 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations special envoy to Libya says the country's warring factions continue to negotiate despite the recent outbreak of clashes in the country.
- UN envoy says Libya on cusp of 'decisive moment' as parties resume peace talks UN News 20 Mar 2015 -- Negotiations between Libyan parties are entering a "decisive round" as continued fighting and the menace of terrorism cast a sense of urgency to the United Nations-facilitated talks, a senior official for the Organization said today.
- UN chief urges more global support to resolve Libya crisis as he meets with Italian leaders UN News 18 Mar 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today stressed the importance of international support as the United Nations seeks to promote dialogue to resolve the crisis in Libya, as he met with senior Italian officials in Rome.
- Libya 'cannot wait' for solution, UN envoy says as talks pause for consultations UN News 13 Mar 2015 -- Meetings in Morocco arranged by the United Nations that brought together participants in the Libyan political dialogue have concluded today, having covered substantive and procedural issues on the way forward.
- UN restarts Libya talks without recognized parliament Press TV 13 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations has resumed a new round of negotiations in Libya to resolve the crisis in the chaotic country but without the Tobruk-based internationally recognized Libyan parliament which sought a delay.
- Libyan Commander Says Army Achieved Success in Fight Against Terrorists Sputnik 13 Mar 2015 -- As the Islamic State group tries to advance in Libya, the army loyal to the country's internationally recognized government has achieved "much success" in its fight against the terrorists, the army's principal commander, Khalifa Belqasim Haftar, told Sputnik on Friday.
- At Libya talks, UN envoy stresses commitment to continued dialogue, positive outcome UN News 11 Mar 2015 -- Several Libyan political parties and personalities concluded a two-day meeting today in Algiers, during which United Nations envoy Bernardino León reiterated the resolve of the world body to continue the dialogue until it reaches positive outcomes.
- UN puts on hold Libyan request for arms delivery: Diplomats Press TV 10 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations has delayed the approval of a Libyan request for the purchase of weapons to fight ISIL Takfiri militants, diplomats say.
- Libya at 'critical juncture' as UN-supported political talks continue UN News 09 Mar 2015 -- Libyan stakeholders must seize the momentum generated by the on-going political dialogue and bring an end to the country's instability and insecurity, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said today amid continuing fighting in the North African nation.
- UN Mission says participants determined to 'bridge differences' as Libya dialogue proceeds UN News 07 Mar 2015 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has said today that the country's political dialogue is proceeding in a positive atmosphere, with participants agreeing that important progress has been made so far.
- Gunmen attack Libya's al-Ghani oil field, killing 8 guards Press TV 06 Mar 2015 -- At least eight people have been killed when unidentified gunmen attacked an oil field in Libya's violence-wracked southwestern region of Fezzan.
- Libya Suspends Airstrikes Against Islamists Upon UN Request Sputnik 05 Mar 2015 -- Libya's internationally recognized government suspended airstrikes against Islamist militants in response to a request by the United Nations, Libyan air force chief Saqr Geroushi told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Security Council extends mandate for UN political mission in Libya through March 2015 UN News 05 Mar 2015 -- Having determined that the situation in Libya remains a threat to international peace and security and acting under Chapter VII of the Charter, the Security Council adopted unanimously today a resolution extending the mandate of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL).
- Libya crisis 'festering,' UN envoy warns, urgeing decisive action to build national unity UN News 04 Mar 2015 -- The overall situation in Libya is "deteriorating rapidly" amid a growing terrorist threat and continuing violence, the United Nations envoy to the country warned the Security Council today, as he urged national stakeholders to move firmly in defining the country's future.
- Libya air force foils militant attack on oil port Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2015 -- Anti-aircraft fire by Libyan air force has repelled an attack by the warplanes belonging to militants against a major oil export terminal in the North African country.
- Amid 'diminishing window of opportunity,' Libyan peace talks set to resume UN News Centre 03 Mar 2015 -- A new round of United Nations-facilitated talks aimed at resolving Libya's political crisis will kick-off later this week as stakeholders from the North African country prepare to gather in Morocco, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has announced.
- Libya's Pick for Army Chief Could Derail Peace Talks VOA 03 Mar 2015 -- Libya's internationally-recognized parliament - one of two competing for power - has agreed to return to U.N.-sponsored peace talks. But the decision to appoint a renegade anti-Islamist general as the commander-in-chief of its forces is likely to deepen divisions in the conflict-wracked country.
- Libya parliament speaker appoints Haftar army chief Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- The Libyan parliament speaker has appointed retired General Khalifa Haftar as the country's new army chief.
- UN, Libya's Dawn Militia Agree on Principle of Ceasefire,Political Dialogue Sputnik 01 Mar 2015 -- In its latest attempt to establish a ceasefire in Libya, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) delegation met with the Libyan Dawn militia and agreed on the principle of a ceasefire in the country, the UN announced Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list