Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2014 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libya: UN mission condemns terrorist bombing against Parliament amid uptick in violence UN News Centre 30 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has strongly deplored a terrorist attack against a hotel in the city of Tobruk where the country's House of Representatives was in session just days after the Mission had warned that further violence risked plunging the country into "all-out war."
- Car bomb blast rocks Libya parliament headquarters Iran Press TV 30 Dec 2014 -- A car bomb has exploded outside the headquarters of the internationally-recognized Libyan parliament in the eastern city of Tobruk.
- Libyan forces shoot down militia helicopter Iran Press TV 30 Dec 2014 -- Libya says it has shot down a militia helicopter, days after militants carried out airstrikes against a major oil terminal in the country's eastern region.
- Libya: Car Bomb Explodes Near Parliament in City of Tobruk, Three Wounded Sputnik 30 Dec 2014 -- A suicide bomber has blown up a car filled with explosives in front of the hotel that houses Libya's runaway parliament in the eastern city of Tobruk, near the Egyptian border, Reuters quotes the country's officials as saying.
- Libya asks for international help to extinguish oil terminal fire Iran Press TV 28 Dec 2014 -- Libya's Interior Minister Omar al-Sinki has pleaded for international help to prevent a massive fire at the North African country's largest oil terminal from spreading.
- First air raids hit Libya's militant-held Misrata Iran Press TV 28 Dec 2014 -- Pro-government forces in Libya have conducted their first series of airstrikes on the militant-held city of Misrata, a spokesman for the country's armed forces general staff says.
- Oil region clashes seriously escalating: Libya FM Iran Press TV 28 Dec 2014 -- Libya's foreign minister says militant groups are increasing their attacks in the African country's oil regions in a bid to control the oil resources.
- UN Support Mission for Libya Warns of Full-Fledged War in Country Sputnik 28 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) condemned the airstrikes carried out by the country's government forces in the northwestern city of Misrata on Sunday, warning that an escalation in violence could lead to a full-fledged war.
- Flames Engulf Fifth Oil Tank at Libya's Largest Port After Rocket Attack Sputnik 28 Dec 2014 -- Fire reached the fifth oil tank on Saturday at one of Libya's main oil terminals after a rocket attack by Islamist militants on Thursday, reports Al-Arabiya.
- Libyan Civil War Escalates to Airstrikes as Government Forces Hit Misrata Sputnik 28 Dec 2014 -- Libya's official government conducted several tactical airstrikes in the vicinity of the town of Misrata Sunday, another episode in the ongoing war between the internationally recognized government of Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni and the coalition of his political opponents known as Libyan Dawn.
- As violence in Libya escalates, UN mission says country risks 'all-out war' UN News Centre 28 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has condemned a series of airstrikes on targets in the city of Misrata amid an upsurge in fighting across the war-torn North African country, adding that any further escalation in hostilities could plunge the nation back into "all-out war."
- Libya Strikes Militias After Oil Tank Attacks VOA 28 Dec 2014 -- Libya's foreign minister warned Sunday that a coalition of extremist groups is making a push to seize the troubled country's oil resources, after an assault on eastern terminals set storage tanks ablaze, destroying 800,000 barrels of crude.
- UN Support Mission in Libya Urges to Stop Attacks on Libya's Oil Depots Sputnik 28 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) condemned in a statement renewed attacks on Libya's oil installations by unidentified gunmen and urges the forces on the ground to cooperate in restoring order.
- Bird flu takes four in Libya: Health minister Iran Press TV 27 Dec 2014 -- Four people have died after contacting bird flu in Libya over the last few days, says the health minister of the country's internationally recognized government.
- Libya: UN urges end to 'senseless cycle of violence' as country reels from latest attack UN News Centre 27 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) today strongly condemned the latest spate of violence to afflict the country as unidentified gunmen renewed attacks against Libyan oil installations leaving numerous storage tanks ablaze and further destabilizing the security situation in the war-torn nation.
- Dozens killed in acts of violence across Libya Iran Press TV 26 Dec 2014 -- Dozens of people are killed across Libya in acts of violence by militants, including an attack on the country's oil terminals.
- Attack in north Libya leaves 19 army soldiers killed Iran Press TV 25 Dec 2014 -- An attack by unknown gunmen on a power plant in the northern Libyan city of Sirte has killed 19 army soldiers.
- Islamist Insurgents Kill 19 Military Servicemen in Eastern Libya Sputnik 25 Dec 2014 -- A violent skirmish between Libyan soldiers and Islamist militants on Thursday, December 25, in eastern Libya claimed the lives of 19, while an oil tanker was damaged by a rocket at the port of Al-Sidra during a separate clash.
- UN: Libyan Factions Agree on January Peace Talks VOA 23 Dec 2014 -- A top United Nations official says rival factions vying for power in Libya have agreed in principle to hold a new round of peace talks in early January.
- Libya: UN warns of human rights violations as factional fighting continues UN News Centre 23 Dec 2014 -- Libyan civilians have been subject to targeted killings, forced displacement and acute humanitarian conditions amid an escalation in fighting in the North African country, a new United Nations human rights report has warned.
- Libya's General Haftar pays secret visit to Jordan Iran Press TV 22 Dec 2014 -- A recent report shows that Libya's renegade general, Khalifa Haftar, has recently paid a secret visit to Jordan, where he met and conferred with Jordanian military's top brass and intelligence officials over the ongoing crisis in Libya.
- Libya: UN mission encouraged by "step in the right direction" towards dialogue UN News Centre 17 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said today that it is encouraged by the positive response it has received to its invitation for a UN-convened Libyan political dialogue.
- Libya militants mount airstrike near oil terminals Iran Press TV 16 Dec 2014 -- Libya Dawn militant group has carried out an aerial attack on an area near key oil terminals in the eastern part of the country.
- Libya's Air Force Says it Could Bomb Misrata Airport Sputnik 16 Dec 2014 -- The Libyan Army could launch an airstrike at the Misrata International Airport, which also acts as an air base and training center for the Libyan Air Force, if the rebels operating in the region do not surrender, Chief of the Libyan Air Force Saqr Geroushi has told Sputnik.
- Condemning military escalation in Libya, UN mission calls on all parties to join dialogue UN News Centre 15 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) today condemned the sharp escalation in violence in the country and called on both sides to cease military operations immediately and give political dialogue a chance.
- Analysts: Libya Battle Critical to Containing Islamic State VOA 15 Dec 2014 -- The United Nations is calling for international action to slow the chaos in Libya, saying fighting there could destabilize the entire region.
- Libya forces conduct airstrikes on militant positions Iran Press TV 13 Dec 2014 -- Forces loyal to Libya's internationally recognized government have carried out airstrikes on militant positions in the country's east.
- Libya Air Force Halt Militant Advance Near Two Largest Oil Ports Sputnik 13 Dec 2014 -- Libya's air force, loyal to the state's recognized authorities, have attacked militants positions near the eastern oil ports of Ras Lanuf and Es-Sider.
- Libya's sidelined IDPs IRIN 10 Dec 2014 -- I am tired. I want to go back to my homeland in Tawergha [town in northern Libya]. Everything is bad: my room is full of water when it is raining and I don't have money… I just want to go home," Hamama Said told IRIN.
- Libya: UN envoy in "intense consultations" to end political crisis, manage transition UN News Centre 08 Dec 2014 -- Ahead of dialogue due to begin tomorrow that is aimed at peacefully resolving the current political crisis in Libya, the top United Nations official in the country, Bernardino Leon, met with Libyan parties.
- Amid fresh violence in Libya, UN mission urges all parties to give dialogue chance to succeed UN News Centre 04 Dec 2014 -- Strongly condemning the spiralling violence in Libya, including a recent round of air raids in the western part of the country, the United Nations Support Mission (UNSMIL) today noted with deep concern the "disastrous impact" the attacks have on civilians and infrastructure, and warned that the violence is also endangering the political process.
- Libya Launches Airstrikes on Islamist Targets Near Tripoli Airport Sputnik 04 Dec 2014 -- Libya launched a bombing campaign against armed extremist groups in the vicinity of Tripoli International Airport, Libyan Air Force Chief of Staff Saqr Geroushi told Sputnik Thursday.
- UN, US, EU Pledge Extra Measures to Protect Libya's Unity Sputnik 03 Dec 2014 -- A number of European countries, the United States, as well as the United Nations and the European Union have issued a joint statement Wednesday in which they pledge to take extra measures to defend Libya's unity amid the ongoing hostilities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list