September 2013 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Libya rebels stole millions in US weaponry PressTV 30 Sep 2013 -- Libyan rebels allied with terrorist groups stole millions of dollars in “highly sensitive” American military equipment during raids on a US Special Forces base outside of Tripoli last summer.
- Thousands detained in Libya outside state control IRIN 24 Sep 2013 -- Thousands of people in Libya remain locked up in militia prisons, outside of state control, more than two years after the revolution, according to a new UN report presented to the Security Council. The report says many are suffering torture and mistreatment and calls the situation "unacceptable".
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's call with Libya's Minister of Defense Abdullah al-Thani DoD 19 Sep 2013
- A long wait for justice in Libya IRIN 18 Sep 2013 -- Abdullah Al-Sanussi, the former head of Libyan military intelligence and Gaddafi’s brother-in-law, is accused of crimes at Abu Salim, including orchestrating the massacre of more than 1,200 prisoners in 1996.
- Libya weapons smuggled into Syria: United Nations PressTV 16 Sep 2013 -- The UN Security Council's committee on Libyan sanctions says caches of weapons and ammunition are being smuggled into Syria.
- Libya’s democratic transition faces numerous challenges UN News Centre 16 Sep 2013 -- Two years after the fall of the authoritarian regime, Libya faces a number of challenges in ensuring that its democratic transition proceeds peacefully.
- Russia Hails 'Good Prospects' of Arms Exports to Libya RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2013 -- Russia is hailing the "good prospects" of resuming arms supplies to Libya, Russia's Foreign Minister said Tuesday after a meeting with his Libyan counterpart that was part of Moscow's efforts to restore military and business ties with the war-torn North African nation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|