Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2013 - Libya Special Weapons News
- ICC: Libya Must Hand Over Gadhafi's Son VOA 31 May 2013 -- Judges at the ICC ruled that Libya must hand over the son of slain dictator Muammar Gadhafi to the court.
- Libya Seeks Russian Arms Supplies – Rostech CEO RIA Novosti 30 May 2013 -- A Libyan government representative has asked Russian authorities to resume frozen arms contracts.
- Libya PM Moves State Oil HQ to Troubled Benghazi VOA 29 May 2013 -- Libya confirmed that the headquarters of the state energy firm would move to the volatile eastern city of Benghazi.
- Libya's Congress Chief Steps Down Over Former Role VOA 28 May 2013 -- The head of Libya's national assembly said he was stepping down.
- Joint press point with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and the Prime Minister of Libya, Mr. Ali Zeidan - Opening remarks by the Secretary General NATO 27 May 2013
- HRW Calls on Libya to Protect Women's Rights VOA 27 May 2013 -- The end of Moammar Gadhafi's 40-year rule in 2011 was a watershed moment for women.
- Libyans in North Africa scared to return home IRIN 16 May 2013 -- Far from home, many fear revenge attacks should they return home.
- Deadly Benghazi Blast Caused by Fisherman's Explosives VOA 14 May 2013 -- A blast that killed three people in Libya's second city Benghazi was caused by fishing explosives that detonated accidentally, not a car bomb as originally thought.
- Libya: UN mission condemns bombing in Benghazi UN News Centre 13 May 2013 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Libya strongly condemned the bombing in Benghazi.
- Car Bomb Hits Libya's Benghazi VOA 13 May 2013 -- A Libyan official says a car bomb has exploded outside a hospital in the eastern city of Benghazi, killing at least nine people.
- Libyan gunmen end siege of ministries: Officials Iran Press TV 12 May 2013 -- Libyan gunmen demanding the expulsion of Gaddafi-era officials from the government have lifted their siege of two ministries, officials say.
- US Senator Alleges Benghazi Attack 'Cover Up' VOA 12 May 2013 -- A high-ranking Republican Senator has labeled the Obama administration's initial characterizations of last year's deadly attack in Benghazi, Libya as a "cover up." Senator John McCain is calling for a special investigative committee to further probe the administration's actions after the September assault that killed four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador.
- US And Britain Withdraw Some Diplomats From Libya VOA 10 May 2013 -- The United States and Britain are withdrawing some of the staff from their embassies in Tripoli, Libya because of a standoff between the government and heavily armed militias blockading parts of the capital, embassy officials said Friday.
- US Diplomat Tells Congress of Benghazi Failures RIA Novosti 09 May 2013 -- US military teams were twice ordered to "stand-down" during last year's attacks on a US diplomatic facility and a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) annex in Benghazi, in which Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed, lawmakers were told Wednesday by a senior US diplomat who was in Libya when the attacks took place.
- US Diplomat: Military Help Sought During Benghazi Attack VOA 08 May 2013 -- A senior State Department official has criticized America's security response during last year's deadly attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya, and has expressed dismay over the Obama administration's initial characterization of the assault as a popular protest rather than a terrorist act. Three officials testified before the House of Representatives' Oversight Committee - the latest congressional probe into the attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
- Security Council: Libyan trials could be 'Nuremberg moment,' ICC prosecutor says UN News Centre 08 May 2013 -- The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) today said that if Libya can conduct fair trials of alleged perpetrators during the pro-democracy uprising in 2011, the proceedings could equal the lasting impact of the Nuremberg trials.
- DOD Cooperates With Congress on Benghazi Probes AFPS 08 May 2013 -- The Defense Department has cooperated fully with Congress and the State Department on the investigation into the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that led to the death of four U.S. citizens, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said here today.
- Libyans Wonder What's Next for Gadhafi-Era Loyalists VOA 08 May 2013 -- Libya is grappling with the decision this week by its congress to remove former Gadhafi-era officials from office. A top Islamist politician says disbarring them will help rebuild Libya, but some Libyans aren't so sure,
- Libya defense minister resigns over siege of ministries Iran Press TV 07 May 2013 -- Libya's Defense Minister Mohammed al-Bargathi has resigned in protest against a siege by armed men on government ministries, denouncing the siege as 'an assault on democracy' in the North African country.
- Libya MPs Pass Law Barring Gadhafi-Era Officials VOA 05 May 2013 -- Libya was thrown into greater political turmoil Sunday when the country's congress gave in to the demands of revolutionary militiamen and voted to remove former Gadhafi-era officials from office - even if they had contributed to the downfall of the late dictator.
- Libyan Army Stationed for Pro-Government Rally VOA 03 May 2013 -- Libyan soldiers have been stationed at Tripoli's main square to protect a rally in support of the government.
- Libya's Political Crisis Heats Up VOA 02 May 2013 -- Militiamen besieging key Libyan ministries: Fire anyone who worked for the regime of the late Moammar Gadhafi.
- Gadhafi Son Makes Brief Libyan Court Appearance VOA 02 May 2013 -- Saif al-Islam, son of deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gadhafi, appeared in court in Zintan.
- Gaddafi’s Son Appears in Libyan Court RIA Novosti 02 May 2013 -- Jailed son of slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam, briefly appeared in court to face criminal charges.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list