Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2013 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Cameron Says Britain Will Train Libyan Security Forces VOA 31 Jan 2013 -- British PM Cameron pledged Britain's help in training Libya's security forces, part of broader European efforts to counter Islamic militancy in North Africa.
- Cameron Makes Unexpected Visit To Libya RFE/RL 31 Jan 2013 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron has made an unannounced visit to Libya, where he pledged to help the country's police and army.
- Libya Fears Influx of Mali Insurgents VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Leaders in neighboring Libya are raising the alarm, warning of a spillover that could see rebel Tuareg and al-Qaeda-linked fighters fleeing into Libyan territory.
- Libya: national consensus needed for building institutions, security UN News Centre 29 Jan 2013 -- While the new Government of Libya has evinced determination to tackle the many challenges faced by the nascent democracy, national dialogue must be held so that difficult decisions on a range of issues can be taken with broad popular support.
- Clinton: Benghazi Attack Part of Broader Challenge in Africa VOA 23 Jan 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said last September's attack on the U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi was part of wider terrorist insecurity across North Africa. Clinton testified before Congress Wednesday about what she is doing to prevent such an attack in the future.
- Clinton Defends Commitment To Security In Benghazi Hearing RFE/RL 23 Jan 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has defended her department's commitment to security in a congressional hearing on last year's attack on a U.S. mission in Libya.
- Clinton Defends US Response to Deadly Benghazi Attack RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2013 -- In alternately emotional and combative testimony before the US Congress on Wednesday, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she quickly ordered security stepped up for American diplomats around the world following the deadly Sept. 11 attack in Benghazi, Libya, in which the American ambassador to the country was killed.
- Clinton Grilled on Security Lapses in Benghazi Attack VOA 23 Jan 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton testified Wednesday before a Senate Committee about last year's attack on the U.S. mission in the Benghazi, Libya, in a hearing that included sharp criticism from lawmakers on her handling of the incident.
- Clinton Prepares for Benghazi Testimony VOA 22 Jan 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is preparing to testify before Congress Wednesday on security failures associated with last September's attack on the U.S. mission in the Libyan city of Benghazi that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.
- Clinton to Testify on Benghazi Attack VOA 19 Jan 2013 -- Outgoing U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is set to testify to Congress next week about the September terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, that killed a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.
- Gaddafi’s Son Saif Al-Islam Appears In Libyan Court RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2013 -- Former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam has appeared before a court in Libya for the first time since he was captured in 2011.
- Hundreds in limbo at camp on the Tunisian-Libyan border IRIN 16 Jan 2013 -- Hundreds of sub-Saharan African and Arab refugees are still holed up in a camp on the Tunisian side of the border.
- Libya Confirms Gaddafi Son's Trial in February RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2013 -- Saif al-Islam, the second son of Libya's late leader Muammar Gaddafi, will go on trial within the next month, Justice Minister Salah Maraghni said on Libyan national television.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list