Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2012 - Libya Special Weapons News
- US Lawmakers Continue to Probe Benghazi Attack VOA 29 Nov 2012 -- U.S. lawmakers investigating the September terrorist attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya said they are troubled by inadequate security measures at the consulate as well as the lack of U.S. military intervention during the assault that killed four Americans. The Senate's Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs received a four-hour classified briefing from federal officials on Thursday.
- Gaddafi Offered Kazakhstan Billions for 'Muslim Atom Bombs' - UN Official RIA Novosti 29 Nov 2012 -- Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi offered the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan 'billions' in the early 1990s to retain its nuclear arsenal as the Muslim world's 'first atomic weapons,' a former Kazakh foreign minister and high-ranking UN official said on Thursday.
- US Lawmakers Reiterate Criticism of Rice Over Benghazi VOA 27 Nov 2012 -- Republican senators say they remain deeply troubled by the Obama administration's initial accounts of the September attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya. The senators spoke after meeting with America's U.N. ambassador, Susan Rice, who has come under fire for statements she made days after the assault that killed four Americans.
- US Ambassador Revisits Benghazi Controversy VOA 22 Nov 2012 -- America's U.N. ambassador has defended comments she made in the days following the September terrorist attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya,
- Benghazi Security Chief Assassinated VOA 21 Nov 2012 -- Libyan officials say gunmen have assassinated the security chief of the eastern city of Benghazi.
- Petraeus Says CIA Saw Terrorists Behind Libya Attack RIA Novosti 17 Nov 2012 -- Former US spy chief David Petraeus testified on Friday that the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) from the beginning saw terrorists' hands in the Sept. 11 attack on a US embassy compound in Libya that left four Americans dead, according to US lawmakers.
- Petraeus Testifies on Benghazi Attack VOA 16 Nov 2012 -- Former CIA Director David Petraeus has told a congressional panel that he believed from the onset that the September 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya was the work of terrorists.
- Petraeus to Testify About Benghazi Attack VOA 15 Nov 2012 -- Former CIA Director David Petraeus will testify before a congressional committee this week about the deadly September 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
- CIA Denies Petraeus' Mistress Claim It Took Prisoners in Benghazi VOA 13 Nov 2012 -- The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency is denying a claim by former CIA chief David Petraeus' mistress and biographer Paula Broadwell that the agency detained militants in Libya before the September attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.
- DOD Releases Detailed Timeline for Benghazi Response AFPS 10 Nov 2012 -- The Defense Department released a detailed timeline yesterday of the Pentagon's response to the September attack in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead, including U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens.
- Libya’s transition has progressed but challenges remain UN News Centre 08 Nov 2012 -- Libya has moved forward in its political transformation since its liberation one year ago but still faces many challenges.
- ICC prosecutor calls on Libyan authorities to ensure no impunity UN News Centre 07 Nov 2012 -- The prosecutor of the ICC called on Libya’s authorities to ensure that justice is served in relation to any crimes committed during the overthrow of the regime of former leader Muammar al-Qadhafi.
- ICC Prosecutor Urges Libya Not to Grant Amnesty VOA 07 Nov 2012 -- The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court has urged Libya’s new government not to grant an amnesty for serious crimes committed during last year’s revolution.
- Blast Damages Libyan Police Station VOA 04 Nov 2012 -- Libyan officials say a car bomb has exploded near a police station in the country's second largest city, wounding three people.
- Explosion At Benghazi Police Station Injures Four RFE/RL 04 Nov 2012 -- A car bomb has exploded outside a police station in Libya's largest city, Benghazi, injuring four police officers.
- Timeline Released on US Consulate Attack in Libya VOA 02 Nov 2012 -- US intelligence officials have released a detailed CIA timeline of the deadly September 11 assault on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
- Libya: Formation of the Government US Dept. of State 02 Nov 2012
- Libya: UN welcomes formation of new Government UN News Centre 01 Nov 2012 -- The top United Nations official in Libya welcomed the formation of the country’s new Government.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list